Animated Marvel/DC Crossovers - possible?

Latest News & Videos

Wonderwall

Staff member
Mar 4, 2006
Canada
One, I hate the crossovers, they're beyond pointless to me. But to the question at hand, no this will never happen. Marvel can't even get all their heroes to guest star on their own shows, due to so many different parties owning the rights to certain characters. As opposed to Warner Bros./ DC, who own almost all the DC characters except for a few exceptions( ie: Blue Beetle )

Buzz

Jul 28, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
This may be considered a unrelated, but-there was also a rather interesting crossover in the Star Trek universe, in a book that had the X-Men, joining the crew of TNG.

Buzz!:)

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 15, 2002
The Marvel Animation Age
marvel.toonzone.net
Wonderwall; said:
One, I hate the crossovers, they're beyond pointless to me. But to the question at hand, no this will never happen. Marvel can't even get all their heroes to guest star on their own shows, due to so many different parties owning the rights to certain characters. As opposed to Warner Bros./ DC, who own almost all the DC characters except for a few exceptions( ie: Blue Beetle )
Blue Beetle was actually a result of DC Comics, not Warner Bros. I assume they didn't want him to appear in the cartoon because they made a big event of killing him off in the comics, just so that, OH MY GOD, he could reappear as a hero to an Ethnic minority group.

As for Marvel/DC animated crossovers? No. They can't even agree to do it in thier own books, so adding in the animation legalities would only hinder things further.

Hypestyle

Nov 21, 2001
Detroit, MI USA
Visit site
hee-hee.. on a pure fantasy level, I'd love to see some Marvel/DC shared 'toon adventures.. realistically? the legal red tape would be virtually impossible to sort through.. already, Marvel has licensed various characters to different production entities, while DC, by default, deals with Warner Bros. Animation. And of course, even then, Warner Animation has had trouble even using certain DC characters from time to time, especially if a character has been optioned for a live action movie (allegedly, Captain Marvel didn't appear in the 2nd season of Justice League because of clearance rights..);
I shudder to think of what might be involved to get something like this legitimately rolling.. unless ultra-fans with animation/editing skill want to put something together on their own (and of course, be prepared to shut it down once Marvel/DC lawyers catch wind of it)..

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Jun 4, 2007
Cartoonland
I wish thats like a dream come true
We're night and day there. I'm not into crossovers generally; far too many of them have no point or story beyond the "Hey, look! It's so-and-so appearing with such-and-such!" novelty. A crossover has to be extremely well-executed for me to get into it.

But to answer the question: No. Animated Marvel/DC crossovers on TV are not possible or feasible. Marvel and DC can't even secure the rights to have all of their own characters to appear together on the same shows, what with different productions, studios, animation teams, network and ownership rights, embargoes and all; tossing all the legalities concerning a completely different company into the mix makes such a thing unattainable.

stephane dumas

Apr 23, 2006
Canada
A crossover is a nice idea but it might work only as a special (not too moralistic as like "Cartoons-All-stars to the rescue") however as a complete one-season series, it have to be well executed.

Now come to think of it, we could also dream of a Marvel vs Capcom animated series ;)

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
Dec 29, 2003
Lots of places
Visit site
I've read a few of the cross-over comics and the only one that I cared for was one that crossed Batman and Daredevil. The story and art were good, of course; what made it even better was that they never tried to explain why they were in the same universe. Instead, the story was written as if they had always been in the same universe.

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
The Batman/Daredevil crossovers were probably the best of the crossovers. I thinkt he one with the Scott McDaniel artwork was excellent though there's some charm to the Batman/Spider-Man crossover as well. As muc as I would like to see these they will never happen. But it is still nice to think about them and imagine the possibilities. There's so much potential there but the legal tape is unreal and I doubt the Powers That Be in both companies would ever allow it.

Aizen

Former 5th Squad Captain.
Aug 16, 2007
Hueco Mundo.
Man i would love some crossovers. Like Captain America/Batman, would be good. Or also Xmen/Justice League

Hypestyle

Nov 21, 2001
Detroit, MI USA
Visit site
...strangely enough, the first Superman/Spider-Man team-up comic came about in the aftermath of a failed Marvel pitch to DC for a Spider-Man/Superman team-up live action movie.. (Warners had just started developing the '78 Superman film)..

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 15, 2002
The Marvel Animation Age
marvel.toonzone.net
I found most of these crossovers to be pretty poor. The only real highlight I can think of is the scene where Batman and Daredevil discover each other's secret identites and The Man Without Fear laughing when Scarecrow used his fear toxin against him.

I did love seeing Mark Bagley draw Batman and The Joker though. Shame the stories were pretty poor.

beyond94

Jun 14, 2010
Wendell North Carolina
If Batman and the Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles crossover then why can't the same be done with Marvel and DC. I think that would get fans truly excited for a DC Marvel character meeting and not just in comics. The first movie WB animation and Marvel should under James Tucker and Cort Lane's supervision would be the classic #SupermanVsTheAmazingSpiderman I feel it should be a PG-13 animated movie with voice actors Tim Daly Christopher Daniel Barnes, Dana Delany Saratoga Ballantine Clancy Brown and Tom Kenny as Doc Ock how cool would that be. Imagine Kevin Conroy as Batman meeting Fred Tatiscore's Hulk as another story based on the comic Or the Justice League meeting The Avengers. It would be huge. I hope that can happen

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street

I can't imagine the world not ending the next day if a real crossover actually happened. I love the idea though. It's one of the reasons that a really good Avengers/Squadron Supreme or Sinister episode always appeals to me.

X-Men/Teen Titans is the crossover of my dreams but Superman/Spider-Man would be incredible, too. Having been a fan for so long, I usually tend to find these things impossible. Just about 10 years ago, our minds were still being blown when stuff like Superman appearing in The Batman or Brave and the Bold, or even Spider-Man finally making it onto Earth's Mightiest Heroes just because of all the stupid embargoes and rights issues that happened with those companies that prevented the animation people from using characters from the same comic universes. Events like Batman/TMNT or Young Justice being renewed are the ones that get me thinking anything is possible but it's still hard to believe that animated DC/Marvel would. Who knows? Maybe it would take some third party bringing the two together for some kind of special cause, like Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue way back in the day, to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
I would like to see it, but it seems as complicated as when they had Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny in the same scene of "Who framed Roger Rabbit?".

Anyway, the closest thing we had recently was in "Avengers Assemble", during Season 2, where they fought the Squadron Supreme. (It should have been the Squadron Sinister, actually; possibly representing the Sindicate of Crime).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I'm seeing online buzz about possible comic crossovers being in work secretly right now. What I wouldn't give to finally see a real animated crossover, just for the fanservice of it all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk