Animated DC Titles For September 2004

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
DisneyBoy said:
What are the general opinions regarding the artist who will supplying the interior art for JLU? I didn't pay much attention to his name, but it didn't seem familiar. Should we expect that he'll be drawing in a way which is similar to the cover, or more traditionally?
I'm not too familiar with penciller Carlo Barberi & inker Eddie Wagner, but fear not, I doubt the interiors will take a dramatic leap in style from what we're used to. Again, if Ben Caldwell tightened himself up a bit, he could do a mean Timmitation, but his heavy Tartakovsky foundation just sneaks up on him, hey, it's his own burden he's developed. I guarantee you that the Tartakovskiness of the cover is solely Caldwell's own approach, and not an indicator at all of what the interiors will look like.

If you've seen the JLU preview that aired after Starcrossed, it's the same styled animation. Believe me, I've developed a good eye for this stuff, and I didn't pick up on any major revisions to the style, everything's cool.

I wouldn't get too up in arms about this, especially since I'm willing to bet the same bullpen of artists will be coming back to JLU, like regulars we're used to. They're an elite group, not everyone can do that style well, food for thought...

Salvor

You can't take a picture of it
DisneyBoy said:
I can relate to your point of view more than you know, but just as a baseball fan would be disappointed to see his favorite players switch teams, I am upset that Chris Jones and Terry Beatty are now working on a book which I admit I know nothing about, other than the fact that it won't be what I've been reading for the last twleve years.
Well it's really more about them still having a job than them "switching teams".

DisneyBoy said:
What you assume is an "obsession" (not too many negative conotations there, eh?) is, in truth, a passion. I was introduced to the Animated world through The Batman Adventures #2, some twelve years ago, and I came to love that book before I ever watched my first B:TAS episode. I'm sad to see Batman Adventures go, and I don't like the way the new titles are looking. Don't make me out to sound crazy just because I have a negative opinion, and please, everyone, stop reminding me that the book could very well be fantastic. I'm well aware of that, but for the moment, I could care less.

If there was one community where I figured my disappointement wouldn't be taken to extremes, I assumed it would be here.
Again I have to put into question that passion of yours, since I remember you complaining about Gotham Adventures for around thirty frigging issues! Have you already forgotten Scott Peterson? ;) And you were right to complain. All I'm saying is, don't sacrilize an era which was good while it lasted, but still had its flaws (ahem again, Neil Vokes or Joe Staton anyone?). Just enjoy this new Batman book as what it is, a fresh new take on the Bat-mythos, and you'll enjoy it a lot more if you forget about all the greatness of the past titles, and think more about the potential greatness of the new ones.

PeterFries

DisneyBoy said:
Peter,

I can relate to your point of view more than you know, but just as a baseball fan would be disappointed to see his favorite players switch teams, I am upset that Chris Jones and Terry Beatty are now working on a book which I admit I know nothing about, other than the fact that it won't be what I've been reading for the last twleve years.

If you're trying to point a finger in my direction and accuse me of being blatantly rude, perpetually negative and ungreatful to the creators for visiting this site and talking to us...then you clearly have no idea who I am, or how I've conducted myself since becoming a member here.
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I wasn't really pointing to you, though I did wince at your negative comments about Ben Caldwell's cover. Obviously, you aren't alone, and you're free to say whatever you want.

I'd just like the very talented Mr. Caldwell to be able to drop in here without having to read pages of comments slamming his cover as an eyesore.

It's an artist thing...

wow Terra on Teen Tiatns! awsome! I will definatly be picking that up, even though I only have up to 4 right now!

jeffrey 228

creepers keeper said:
wow Terra on Teen Tiatns! awsome! I will definatly be picking that up, even though I only have up to 4 right now!
Well it is for sure that Terra was going to be in an issue although I thought that she would another volume sometime soon most likly that volume that goes to the episode continulation of Betrayal, wich would likly get somthing out of it, but I guess I'll have to wait untill they have somthing for October and November.

But overall, I am getting it as well as soon as it comes out at my local comic book store.

Salvor

You can't take a picture of it
PeterFries said:
Nothing really makes your work seem so pointless as getting immediate negative feedback from people who profess to be fans.

It seems like this community is pretty lucky to have the actual comic and cartoon creators stopping by here to read and respond to feedback, but I wouldn't count on that continuing if the level of negativity keeps up.

Maybe I'm just petty, but if I wouldn't blame someone like Bruce Timm if he got disgusted by all the negative feedback here and gave up on visiting the Toon Forums. On the other hand, maybe his ego isn't as fragile as mine.
BTW I almost forgot to comment on this point... seems to me like you're referring to ppl like Supremus, MW or even me, who honestly complain A LOT about Justice League. And I don't see how having Bruce Timm around should change that. On the contrary our comments would be extremely sad and useless if we claimed we love the show while we don't! I've always expressed negative thoughts in the most respectful manners, never saying "damn Bruce Timm sucks", never pointing fingers at one person but rather at a part of his work and how, in my opinion, it could be improved. Heck even Bruce Timm sometimes jokes about our comments, obviously he's got the right attitude towards "negativity"...

I am an artist myself and god knows I've had my share of negative criticism from pros... and I enjoyed those crits. Sure, hurts the ego, but it's been necessary for me to improve as an artist.

Comic Book Boy

hero of Toonzone!
maxnugget said:
Haha. When I saw first saw the JLU cover, my reaction was "Huh? Does the story of this issue somehow revolve around all the JL members accidentally gaining Plastic Man's condition/powers?"
HA! Yeah and I belive the Flash is flying...

R

Robin

PeterFries said:
Wow, even cooler! I love Rian Hughes' designs -- he did the logos for the Tangent line and Batgirl, among others. Great stuff.
He also did that really great cover to Gotham Girls #5. It looks like WB will be using Johnny DC on both their kids comics and on their kids DVDs. This is a pretty good move on their part to bring their properties closer together. The cover to The Batman Strikes #1 looks pretty good and I will be checking it out, same with the new Justice League book.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
*fixes neck tie, takes a deep breath a re-enters forums*

Heya Peter. I hope you do get the chance to chat online with Ben Caldwell here, and I certainly hope my negativity towards his cover doesn't interfere with that. As Salvor so astutely pointed out, I have made my criticisms rather vocal in the past, although I'd like to think that I've been just as positive, if not more so, about the various Adventures art I've seen, as I've been negative. I'm sure there are probably still folks who think I scared off Tim Levins back when he used to read our Gotham Adventures reviews. Truth is, my posts concerning the upcoming comics reflected my more emotional reactions. Yes, I know what I like and I know what I don't. I'm picky and critical, but I really do love the Adventures books...and no - I haven't forgotten the endless torture of the Gotham Adventures years. :rolleyes: If I had, I think I may have been more critical of Rick Burchett's artwork in Batman Adventures. I'm learning to be happy with what I'm getting, but since what we're all getting now is a relaunch, I've decided not to stay on the Batman Bandwagon. I just don't think my appreciation of the character will extend too far beyond this Animated world. Besides, if I don't put my foot down now, I may end up collecting Batman stuff for the rest of my life...something which could easily get out of hand.

All this to say, I know there were ups and downs in the Adventures-verse, cause lord knows I've got the issues to prove it. Overall, while I'll probably sell off some issues (you can guess which ones) I'm glad I stuck with it and I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my posts along the way. Everyone's got an opinion, and I've tried to be as articulate as I could when expressing mine here.

Screw on head...do you know something we don't? I'm actually almost wishing the new JLU title gets a solid creative team because it'll make my life easier. If I don't enjoy their work, I won't follow it. But if we go back to the mix-and-match pattern of JLA, I may have to keep an eye on the title to see if any of my favorites are contributing.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts