Animaniacs (2020) News & Discussion Thread

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Someone recorded a Halloween commercial from Hulu.

Oh hey it's a furry, hahaha so cringe
*hides fursuit*

1604265167611.png

disneyphilip

If they don't bring back Sheri Stoner, Bernadette Peters, etc., let their respective characters get recast!

Grey Griffin would make an excellent Slappy Squirrel and Tara Strong would make a great Rita.

cheril59

Joe Biden wins presidential election!

Which reminds me, since Dot's gonna be crooning about the First Ladies of the United States, then, somebody tell the cartoon-makers and musicians to add in Jill Biden.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Joe Biden wins presidential election!

Which reminds me, since Dot's gonna be crooning about the First Ladies of the United States, then, somebody tell the cartoon-makers and musicians to add in Jill Biden.
They would have to work awfully quick, and given how long these thirteen episodes took to animate, I'm skeptical we'll see it that fast. We'll see though.

If not the Bidens will definitely be in Season 2.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
They would have to work awfully quick, and given how long these thirteen episodes took to animate, I'm skeptical we'll see it that fast. We'll see though.

If not the Bidens will definitely be in Season 2.
While it may be too late to do it in Season 1, there's a good chance a Biden reference could make it in season 2, as the original series was manage to insert some "then recent by a few months" references in some episodes seamlessly (i.e. the 1994 Olympic figure skating scandal in Baloney and Kids, The Cable Guy in one James Bond parody).

doglover44

Saw the trailer on YouTube looks great cant wait to see what they can make fun of in 2020

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Here's a negative review, but there's a reason for that -- they gave it to Beth Elderkin, who is basically the Censor Lady from the Tiny Toons episode "Washingtoon" and starts every show by looking for things to offend her. I didn't like her BEFORE I read this, and I really don't like her now.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

powerjake

Banned
This is from synopsis from the first episode for the 2020 Animaniacs Pinky and the Brain.

Brain’s meme fails to achieve world domination.

That sounds just like something that came from the Powerpuff Girls reboots forced meme humor.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Here's a negative review, but there's a reason for that -- they gave it to Beth Elderkin, who is basically the Censor Lady from the Tiny Toons episode "Washingtoon" and starts every show by looking for things to offend her. I didn't like her BEFORE I read this, and I really don't like her now.
One of her criticisms is that the new series takes pot shots at certain genres. It's not like this wasn't the case in the original series, though- remember the Bonkers jabs and claiming all Disney movies were derivative?

Pooky

Staff member

"This Animaniacs reboot is OK, but wouldn't it be better if it were less like Animaniacs and more like Bojack Horseman" is an um, interesting take.

Mandouga

"This Animaniacs reboot is OK, but wouldn't it be better if it were less like Animaniacs and more like Bojack Horseman" is an um, interesting take.
Which is to say, it's totally biased and unfair. Basically, she wants it to be more "adult" oriented (i.e., to the point where it would otherwise need to air in prime time, if not late at night). Clearly, she doesn't like Animaniacs, let alone any shows made for families...

Pooky

Staff member
To be fair, she does also cite a bunch of not-Animaniacs-like family shows she wishes the reboot were more like.

There's been a tendency for about 20 years for critics with no particular love for the medium to say a particular sort of animation was "fine for its day", but is now obsolete because of other supposedly "more sophisticated" works that are currently in vogue (at one time it was mostly The Simpsons, Pixar and, heaven help us, Shrek). There is, of course, room in this world for all of it (even if I sometimes do wish there were fewer reboots).

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
This is from synopsis from the first episode for the 2020 Animaniacs Pinky and the Brain.

Brain’s meme fails to achieve world domination.

That sounds just like something that came from the Powerpuff Girls reboots forced meme humor.

Though there was an ep focused on that in the PPG remake the major problem was that show constantly kept doing that over in over in the expressions and turn of phrases even past the point where it could of been considered funny. So having one episode spoofing that idea especially coming from shows known for spoofing and mocking current trends back in their day is fine. I remember when Pinky and the Brain had an ep where Pinky became "Pinky Suavo" spoofing Ricky Suavo, or an an Animanaics segment that was a giant Macerena spoof that kids growing up now would not really get? The shows are known for spoofing the general cultural zeitgeist which yeah means taking shots at things that are likely going to be dated several years from now but are funny in the moment when they came out. If you go back to the original Animaniacs show you'd find a lot of that there so if you're trying to capture that spirit it makes sense to have some of that too.

Which I feel some people are being over sensitive about (Beth is especially one of those people. I admit she has been screwed over by Channel Awesome in the past but has really overreacted to that situation especially now and... not going to go in a rant about it here as it's not the place) in their reviews now especially saying they should be more like other shows. Which yeah sorry that's just stupid. The point of Animanaics isn't about heart or a huge emotional core or character development or epic quest kind of stories. There's a bit of that in the original series but the main point was having these dynamic characters run around interacting with people with a lot of physical over the top cartoon comedy and shrewd witty risque humor that could easily go over kids heads. It was about being silly and taking chances and if that's what the new series is doing then it is properly representing what the original did. It would be wrong if the team were just making another Steven Universe or Gravity Falls and the like. Yeah children's cartoons can have more sophstiicated writing and more heart and core to it but not EVERY SHOW should be like that just like it'd be obnoxious if every adult cartoon or series was one specific thing. Variety is important and honestly we could really use a just out there silly series not afraid to totally parade around it's cartoony roots with sort of abrasive characters. Since honestly the only other series really doing that is sadly Teen Titans Go! as even Spongebob generally tries coming from a nicer character's perspective. The Warners and Pinky and the Brain should want to push more edge so if that's what they are doing we should celebrate that not be boxing such things in.

Dragnatek

So glad it's pissing people like this off. It wouldn't be animaniacs or the like if it didn't push the limits of what it can show. I was worried this show would play things too safe to be honest. Glad I was wrong.

Most of us were kids in the nineties. We were not bothered by nineties pop culture and the likes in shows. And shows like Animaniacs relied on. It big time. Yet it could have been cringy to others watching those shows that were older. Animaniacs wasn't as bad as Tiny Toons but still threw In plenty of 90s centered plots and jokes.

We should not condemn the show for modern references but focus on the quality. The PPG reboot was poor quality. Any joke can land or fail depending on the quality of the cast and crew. The 2016 PPG was a lazy show, in animation and writing quality. Honestly the clips we have seen of the new animanaics are far higher quality then the whole of PPG16. So honestly I'm not worried.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts