Animaniacs (2020) News & Discussion Thread

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The problem with WB bringing this series back is how its going to be wrecked the same way as the reboots of Ben 10, Powerpuff Girls, and ThunderCats Roar.

You're not going to toss in "Teen Titans Go!" ? ;)

It's just....a bit too early to say this is another reboot failure. And it's not a reboot, it's a "continuation". Think of "The New Batman Adventures" adding on more stories to "Batman: The Animated Series". Granted, the 90's was a long time ago....

powerjake

Banned
When I said forced meme jokes like the 2016 PPG, the new Animaniacs would try too hard to be funny if it did it like this for example.

From PPG 2016

bubbles_no_me_gusta.png

colomb

I think they have an older audience in mind for this, something those other reboots/revivals didn't. This isn't a Cartoon Network series anyways so that's an irrelevant comparison.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I think they have an older audience in mind for this, something those other reboots/revivals didn't. This isn't a Cartoon Network series anyways so that's an irrelevant comparison.

For clarification, which other ones are you referring to?

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It's also knowing that Animaniacs debuted less than two years before the launch of Kids' WB.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I'm kinda shocked they still haven't finished the animation yet after over two years of work. Now we know why previews have been so hard to come by!

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I'm pretty sure they weren't working on animation for two years more like getting together the team, fine tuning the scripts and trying to ensure the core is as solid as the original is and then finishing the animation only in the last few months. Remember too they had like promised a full I believe 20 something episodes upfront as well and those usually take awhile to get going with a new or rebrought in team. If the project proves popular I'm sure follow up seasons won't take nearly as long.

Honestly did really like the teaser. Especially since Wakko's line about Hootie and the Blowfish and Napster hints at something I was kind of hoping they would do; have the Warners not around since their show ended and have them acclimiate back into the Hollywood life style to see how things have changed in 20 years. Since it's something that perfectly works with the premise and honestly it's a really solid idea for a revival or reboot. Yeah it's something Rocko's Modern Life did but Rocko is much more a reactionary and sort of passive partipcant and wouldn't be one making a lot of snarky jokes and references or trying to more aggressively stand against new issues they'd disagree with like the Warners would. Especially as yeah Animaniacs was all about the pop culture of the 90s so delving into how they'd react to today's pop culture is what I'm really looking forward to seeing.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
Honestly did really like the teaser. Especially since Wakko's line about Hootie and the Blowfish and Napster hints at something I was kind of hoping they would do; have the Warners not around since their show ended and have them acclimiate back into the Hollywood life style to see how things have changed in 20 years.
When I first heard that line, I was like "Didn't Napster shut down?". But yeah, it makes sense if they included that as a joke that the Warners aren't up to date with modern culture.

cheril59

Someone asked John Mariano about if the Goodfeathers will appear in the series. He said that they're not.

Whenever it called for Bobby to sing, Jeff Glen Bennett filled in. Bummer, no Goodfeathers, and not even Slappy & Skippy, or Mindy & Buttons

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Again though there were some pretty solid Goodfeathers segments on Animaniacs, it was never the most top tier quality series of shorts. And quite honestly it's a pretty dated specifically could only be made at it's time concept. And yeah there are a lot of especially older cartoon characters whose personality and look was based on specific persons of that time chances are most people wouldn't really recognize now (apparently most kids nowadays don't even know how many died in the Holocaust.... yeah that's still messed up BTW) that have obviously transcended that to become beloved icons but... yeah of the original Animaniacs crew only the Warner Brothers and Pinky and the Brain really still have any significant cultural impact so I get why they are the ones being pushed. Honestly a lot of segments I would be fine ditching except for the occassional cameo here and there and the only ones I would think of being worth keeping are Slappy and Skippy (you'd have to get someone else to play Skippy but Sherri Stoner would still do good work as Slappy and that like the Warner Brothers is the kind of character I'd want to see react to the world NOW on certain key ideas) and possibly Rita and Runt. If only to get a few songs sung by Bernadette Peters who again did Katy Keene so I think she could be talked back to this series. But other segments I'm fine being a thing of the past. Seriously sans a joke about how lame a one joke it was I'd be fine not seeing a hide or hair of Mindy and Buttons in this revival.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I agree, there were some solid Goodfeathers segments, but their shtick got old quickly, and it's not something that will really resonate with today's kids. Although I'm not even sure how well it landed for kids at the time- I was of age when Animaniacs was big, and I didn't really know who Scorsese was or that Goodfellas was a thing. I just liked the silly pigeons getting hurt.

I just hope that there's more to the revival than the Warners and Pinky & the Brain. While they're undeniably the brightest spots of the original series, a whole show with just them could get tiresome. That was part of Animaniacs' charm since day one- a little bit of the Warners goes a long way, so adding different segments kept things fresh. Not every character or short landed, but part of the fun was that you never knew what you'd get in an episode.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It'll probably be the Warners, Pinky And The Brain, (maybe) some Slappy, and some new segments to freshen this up.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts