Animaniacs (2020) News & Discussion Thread

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I don't know how I'll watch the new version yet. As a result of my dad's passing earlier this year, I no longer have access to the Limited Commercials plan for Hulu. Though my mom has Hulu, she has the plan with commercials and doesn't want to shell out additional money to remove them.

And after years of being able to watch ad-free shows in various ways, I've decided that I don't want to sit through ads. I could use an ad-blocker to watch Hulu on my computer, but Hulu takes a huge toll on my computer. Which is why I stopped using it on my computer years ago.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
That's surprising news. Last I heard, it was delayed until 2021 due to the difficulty of getting the orchestra together during social distancing. I guess they found a way around that?

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
As a matter of fact, many other series produced by major media conglomerates are being given to streamers other than those owned by the show's parent company.

HBOmax will have a show called The Prince from 20th Television, a subsidiary of Disney, for instance.

While these shows would best serve the companies producing them by being on their in-house streamers, it will probably take a long time for the big 4 media companies (Viacom, WarnerMedia, NBCUniversal, and Disney) to realize this, if they realize it. Because these companies could potentially realize they could make a lot more money if all the content they owned was exclusive to the streamer they own - and if you want to watch shows from all companies, you'd have to subscribe to all the services.

On a further note, the Disney purchase of 21st Century Fox and the reunification of Viacom was only the beginning in terms of media mergers and acquisitions. The bigger players will look to get even bigger.

cheril59

I know, right? Or maybe this show could've gone to the Boomerang service, and that would really give the service more publicity! After all, they already have the very similar "Scooby-Doo in Arabian Nights"...
BTW, did anyone else see this promotional image? I sure like the designs; they remind me of several of the 1990s "Animaniacs" comics I read as a kid, along with how TMS drew them in some first-season episodes...
View attachment 282994
Well, the Warners look the exact same as they were, except now, their noses are a little triangular, and their feet and faces have a little beige tint, and Yakko and Wakko now have little tufts of hair on their heads.

zoombie

What ever happens, I hope the best character in the show, maybe the best character ever, Larry is in it. Who doesn't love Larry, Larry is the best.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
In Rob Paulsen voice: "I told you that Instagram influencer was a giant chicken!"

(With apoligies to whoever at the AV Club came up with that in their Animanics revivial coverage)

wiley207

Well, the Warners look the exact same as they were, except now, their noses are a little triangular, and their feet and faces have a little beige tint, and Yakko and Wakko now have little tufts of hair on their heads.

Hmm, I think I seem to recall Yakko and Wakko having little tufts of hair on top of their heads in some of the "Animaniacs" comics...

DBTrilogy100

I remember back when there were whispers about this reboot years ago, so it is quite surreal to see an update on its status after all this time and it is nice to have an explicit release date. I have many fond memories watching Animaniacs during the 90s, so I'm willing to give the reboot a chance. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what other updates are made before its arrival.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

I think I had briefly forgotten about the reboot. That's how sucky this year has been.

I really had expected this to come out in the Spring, before the pandemic took it's toll. I thought with it being announced in 2017, most of the voice recording had already been done in 2018 or 2019. I mean, late November....that's practically a 2021 release.

I also read (and I don't know if this has been discussed) that they're only making 13 episodes. How can they pump out 65 episodes in the Fall of 1993/Spring of 1994, yet with 3 year's notice (going back to 2017), all we can get is 13 episodes?!? (yes, I see they're going to release 13 more in 2021, but....I hope that's not in November 2021).

Are they going to release them all at once, or weekly? If they're going to do it weekly, that'll be more like the Fall of 1995, when new episodes came to Saturday mornings on Kids WB, rather than the Fall of 1993.

(yes, I'm still looking forward to this).

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, times have changed. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, it was common for cartoons to have at least 1 season of 65 episodes before any additional seasons were greenlit afterwards. Compare that to today where, depending on the model, it would usually be 13,20, or 26 episodes a season, and those are usually greenlit one at a time .

Eurbane

I think I had briefly forgotten about the reboot. That's how sucky this year has been.

I really had expected this to come out in the Spring, before the pandemic took it's toll. I thought with it being announced in 2017, most of the voice recording had already been done in 2018 or 2019. I mean, late November....that's practically a 2021 release.

I also read (and I don't know if this has been discussed) that they're only making 13 episodes. How can they pump out 65 episodes in the Fall of 1993/Spring of 1994, yet with 3 year's notice (going back to 2017), all we can get is 13 episodes?!? (yes, I see they're going to release 13 more in 2021, but....I hope that's not in November 2021).

Are they going to release them all at once, or weekly? If they're going to do it weekly, that'll be more like the Fall of 1995, when new episodes came to Saturday mornings on Kids WB, rather than the Fall of 1993.

(yes, I'm still looking forward to this).
We'll be fine we watch all 13 episodes when it comes out, We wait until the next year for another batch of 13 episodes and if it goes so well we might get another batch of 13 episodes in 2022.

Toonatic

I've been getting back into liking Animaniacs again and now I'm more excited than ever for this!

Just a shame Tom Rugger isn't involved (not sure why) but from what I'm looking at, it will be done right. :)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
There will be a panel for the Animaniacs reboot at the New York Comic-Con.

EDIT:
Description for the NYCC panel.
It’s Time For AN-I-MAN-IACS! Voice Cast & Producer Panel
The Warner brothers, Yakko and Wakko, and the Warner sister Dot are heading home to the Warner Bros. Water Tower. But first they’re making a quick stop at NY Comic Con to give the fans an exclusive first look at their brand-new series coming soon to Hulu. Join executive producer Wellesley Wild, co-executive producer Gabe Swarr and voice cast members Rob Paulsen, Tress MacNeille, Jess Harnell and Maurice LaMarche for a lively panel that will most definitely be zany to the max. Animaniacs is produced by Amblin Television in association with Warner Bros. Animation and premieres on Hulu on Friday, November 20.

EDIT #2:
A better look at the poster for the reboot.

Last edited:

cheril59

Gee whiz! So, the bespectacled Latino woman must be the new Warner Bros. CEO, replacing Thaddeus Plotz. And I don't see Dr. Scratchansniff! You don't think he'll be in the show, do you?

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Oh, you know, I never thought of the progress of time being a possible thing to take into account for this new series.

I thought they'd still be chased around the Warner Bros. studio lot by the exact same security guards, doctors, nurses, and just instead of references to Bill Clinton, Dan Quayle and Ross Perot (and 90's movie stars), we'd just get Trump, Obama and 2020 movie stars....

powerjake

Banned
The problem with WB bringing this series back is how its going to be wrecked the same way as the reboots of Ben 10, Powerpuff Girls, and ThunderCats Roar.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The problem with WB bringing this series back is how its going to be wrecked the same way as the reboots of Ben 10, Powerpuff Girls, and ThunderCats Roar.
Except there hasn't been a huge fan backlash for this unlike those three along with many fans of the original series were interested in a revival, while fans of the first felt the franchise should've taken a break after Omniverse, fans of the second weren't happy that Tara, Elizabeth and Cathy weren't going reprise their roles along with disappointed at the decision to phase out Miss Bellum and fans of the third wanted either a new straightforward reboot or a revival of the 2011 reboot.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts