Animaniacs (2020) News & Discussion Thread

I have to say without the other characters and segments, this Animaniacs reboot is really boring. The Warners are nowhere near as energetic and personable as they were in the old series. Yakko and Wakko do almost nothing and Dot, like almost all modern female characters in Media, is used to convey the writers' personal, political opinions to the viewer. Supposedly, the new writers wanted Dot to be an idol of female empowerment and strength, but she comes across as a man-hating feminist in the new episodes.

The reboot is generally too political for me. I really don't know why writers for modern cartoons always have to be so politically involved. Not everyone wants to hear someone's opinion, and certainly not on a show like Animaniacs, which used to be just for entertainment.

Not only are new writers too political, but also very cynical and bitter. This reboot really reflects the opinions of these new writers. This reboot just lacks everything that made the other series stand out. The humour, the passion for animation, the likeable characters, the great songs, the different ideas and concepts of the variation format, and much more.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I have to say without the other characters and segments, this Animaniacs reboot is really boring. The Warners are nowhere near as energetic and personable as they were in the old series. Yakko and Wakko do almost nothing and Dot, like almost all modern female characters in Media, is used to convey the writers' personal, political opinions to the viewer. Supposedly, the new writers wanted Dot to be an idol of female empowerment and strength, but she comes across as a man-hating feminist in the new episodes.

The reboot is generally too political for me. I really don't know why writers for modern cartoons always have to be so politically involved. Not everyone wants to hear someone's opinion, and certainly not on a show like Animaniacs, which used to be just for entertainment.

Not only are new writers too political, but also very cynical and bitter. This reboot really reflects the opinions of these new writers. This reboot just lacks everything that made the other series stand out. The humour, the passion for animation, the likeable characters, the great songs, the different ideas and concepts of the variation format, and much more.
If there is another season after the coming one, I want Pinky and the Brain spun-off into their own series, but this time around, no longer appearing on Animaniacs. In their stead, the other characters from the original series would take turns being the second chief segment of each episode,

If there is another season after the coming one, I want Pinky and the Brain spun-off into their own series, but this time around, no longer appearing on Animaniacs. In their stead, the other characters from the original series would take turns being the second chief segment of each episode.
I doubt it, since the reboot isn't really that much of a hit, so that Pinky and Brain can get their own spinoff yet again. I think the issue is, that the reboot is not watched by children, which is the reason the old show was such a hit, but rather by a bunch of cynical adults, that only like two types of humour: political jokes that poke fun at the rightwing side and meta humour. And that type of humour is not something a kid would understand and would like.

Petran Markou

I doubt it, since the reboot isn't really that much of a hit, so that Pinky and Brain can get their own spinoff yet again. I think the issue is, that the reboot is not watched by children, which is the reason the old show was such a hit, but rather by a bunch of cynical adults, that only like two types of humour: political jokes that poke fun at the rightwing side and meta humour. And that type of humour is not something a kid would understand and would like.

I just watched the 1993 episode Woodstock Slappy and this type of humour would not sit well today, especially when the protagonist wins in the end and ridicules the festival. It was one of the funniest episodes too.

that series had something for everybody. You could love one character and hate the next one. You could not grasp the Warner's meta-humor yet would laugh at the slapstick comedy and most of all enjoy the orchestral score in all episodes. This was the only way to appeal to both kids and adults

Those series had also the big budget for such a luxury, something the Reboot can't afford.

harry580

maybe if the reboot of animaniacs came out in mid to late 2000s instead of 2020, maybe it can perform better

Petran Markou

I watched the old Animaniacs and saw also the extra interviews with the production staff.

There the key point was the writers and directors. They mentioned that when compared to other series they did in the past or afterwards (interviews took place in 2007), they had more freedom to write and do whatever they liked. One writer mentions that when it comes to parody, many were afraid in general about the repercussions, but in this series they had more liberty with it. But Animaniacs was the exception, where the writers enjoyed that type of parody.

Another key point was that the staff did not even consider "will our kids watch this show?" or will the audience like it. They made jokes they would laugh themselves at, hence why the jokes were so fluid. This way they avoided patronising their audience.

The thing that makes it stand out from other series like Simpsons and South Park even today, is that the characters there act instead of just walk, talk and leave.
With such orchestral score especially.

old series was a combination of some of the best production staff and artists at that time, from actors to animators.

No Reboot can be the same without those conditions.

The 1993 series stands out mainly in the first 65 episodes, which deserve the classic status. Rest are hit or miss episodes and the character that saves the last third is Slappy, possibly because the voice actress would also have a say in the script

In fact in season 3 first 6-7 episodes have only the Warners and Slappy and the second half is forgettable.
In season 3-4 I noticed many new writers too and for a strange reason the writers do not appear in end credits.

The Reboot at best can reach the last 1/3rd of Animaniacs in quality if some characters return but again I have my reservations because the older staff understood the concept better, without resorting to pandering.
A new parody series with new characters and same voice actors would have been much better

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Right, because the original's Don Knotts jokes were SO trendy.

Edit:

Also should point out that every single bit of The Goodfeathers (Goodfellas, The Godfather, West Side Story) was already played out by the time the show got to it.

cheril59

The Warners are right, they've got lots more cartoons to star in...

In our hearts, our minds, our souls...whatever.

Why would this be the last season when it got picked up when the first season premiered anyway?

cristian12345678

2020 warner siblings works under a certain logic. og warners dont have a logic
heres two examples to see the difference

og warners:

2020 warners:

Last edited:

cristian12345678

animaniacs reboot series finale :
International Mouse of Mystery/Aliens Resurrected/Joe/The Stickening/Slappy's Return/Everyday Safety: Giant Adirondack Chair

FnR8BeFXwAEoUWb
FnR8BeoX0AA2uXM

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I think that once Zaslav sells WBD, there will be another Animaniacs revival. Ideally, PATB segments wouldn't be included in favor of giving them their own show like in 1995, while rotating all the other non-Warner sibling characters as the second main segment in each episode.

cristian12345678

Wut?

Need a better source.
challenge acepted

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
challenge acepted
There's nothing in there about Slappy, nice try.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today i learned that David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners) has a son who’s also a director and i saw a very psychedelic arthouse film made by him called Infinity Pool. I hope he becomes a more high profile director some day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people who don’t watch arthouse movies though. It’s also very adult-oriented if you know what i mean
Update on the M&M's situation. He has reliable sources in this video.
Review Metabee wrote on DaGangOfToonz's profile.
is there any chance you are stoonsarchvie/sheetposter
Was "Xiaolin Chronicles" dubbed in both European Spanish and Latin American Spanish, like "Xiaolin Showdown"?

Featured Posts