Amphibia News And Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Handy Anne

Nice start to the season, after the epic season 1 finale, we needed a cool down and get back to basis. And let's face it, most episode are going to be like this oppose to the season finale. What is Hop Pop hiding?

Fort In The Road

I loved the mystery of this episode. And Anne saying she is from another dimension, not the 90's is a nice touch.

So the factory makes evil robots? I wonder if we will get back to that.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Radiant97

boi
Feb 3, 2018
The Darkest Timeline
Did you all notice Ann’s eyes glowed before she fought that giant veggie monster? What’s that about?
Her eyes also glowed blue in "Reunion". People thought it was an animation error, but evidently it wasn't. I guess now she has a special power fueled by her emotions or feelings. Sasha might also have a special power that's connected to the blood moon seen in the new intro.

Radiant97

boi
Feb 3, 2018
The Darkest Timeline
Something of note that I wanna point out from "Fort in the Road" is the existence of modern technology. Was the tech developed in secret? Did Amphibia use to be much less backwater than it is now? Who knows. I'd venture to guess that Newtopia will possess some form of technology as well judging by how the palace looks in the poster.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
While these first 2 segments aren't what I consider a gold standard for this series, they get the point across that Anne has grown as a character, and so is the show itself, which is aiming to grow itself bigger in this new season. I admire this.

The first segment recognizes how much she cares about this family of hers from another realm and how she is willing to go far to keep them and their possessions safe - that is character development in the right direction, even with the less than stellar results on display there.

The second segment is pretty damn effective in hinting at some hidden world-building and something that highlights Amphibia as a once heavily industrialized world - at least until the dangers of doing so too much reared their ugly head, hence why such a thing is just mostly ruins outside of where Anne and co. are heading off to, now (Newtopia).

This show isn't wasting any time in the character development or world-building, while still having some reasonably good comedy to balance things out. That is what I came for & what I'm pleased to actually see on display here, honestly.

RainbowCupcake

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.
Dec 3, 2017
United States
Absolutely loved the first two episodes. A massive improvement from the season 1 opening, imo.

"Handy Anne:" After almost a year wait, we return to the world of Amphibia...with that one frog guy still being carried by a dragonfly for apparently three months. That is the start of what is a very funny episode. There were too many little moments where I laughed to list, but some that stuck out include Sprig's obsession with his slingshots, Sprig's disturbed face when Anne asked him if he was okay and Anne checking out the shovel while the cashier says, "I mean, it's a shovel..." Aside from the comedy, this was a heartwarming episode in that it shows how much Anne cares for her new family. Yeah, she ended up messing things up, but she also saved them from her mess by defeating the veggie monster. I am curious about her glowing eyes. Perhaps it's some power from the blue jewel on the Calamity Box? I liked seeing a return of the "I grow tulips" guy, aka Chuck.

"Fort in the Road:" I liked having one episode spent at home before our characters got on the road, but now that they're on their adventure, I'm pretty excited. This episode introduces us to just a few of the exciting things they'll encounter, including a high-tech factory that makes...robots? I wonder how that will come into play later. The ending was predictable, but it was nice to see Hop Pop lighten up. Not as funny as the first episode, but it didn't need to be with such an interesting concept.

I don't want to jump the shark too soon, but I sense that I will enjoy this season more than the first. I'm a sucker for a good adventure, and with each episode playing directly off the one before it, the story should progress nicely.

Reactions: Zanneck

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
This season is looking similar to season 2 of Tangled: the Series in that the characters are going to be on the road for the majority of it. Personally, I loved season 2 of T:TS, so I have high hopes for what Amphibia will do with this plot.
Hopefully, Amphibia will do a better job of it than Tangled did. Tangled's season 2 was good, and it had some great episodes, but it felt like they stuck around certain areas longer than they should've.

Her eyes also glowed blue in "Reunion". People thought it was an animation error, but evidently it wasn't. I guess now she has a special power fueled by her emotions or feelings. Sasha might also have a special power that's connected to the blood moon seen in the new intro.
I was thinking the same thing. Sasha's eyes will glow either purple or green, representing the other gems from the.........oh crud, that's why the gems from the Calamity Box lost their color when Anne and the other were transported into Amphibia. The gems probably have some powers to them and now that power is in the girls.

Radiant97

boi
Feb 3, 2018
The Darkest Timeline
I was thinking the same thing. Sasha's eyes will glow either purple or green, representing the other gems from the.........oh crud, that's why the gems from the Calamity Box lost their color when Anne and the other were transported into Amphibia. The gems probably have some powers to them and now that power is in the girls.
Crap, that might be it. I rewatched the first episode yesterday and I saw what might be foreshadowing for this in the literal first shot of the show.

vlcsnap-2020-07-17-13h32m45s307.png

Notice the color of the moon and the mushrooms, one of which is yellow even though none of the gems on the calamity box is that color, so it may represent someone other than the trio.

Last edited:

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
The Ballad of Hopediaplanter

An okay episode, a small town that literally small town, I wonder how much influence the Smurfs had on this episode. A nice little twist at the end.

Anne Hunter

Well this might be the best episode of the season so far. This episode doesn't shy away from animal killing which surprise me for a Disney show. No reason, they didn't eat and kill those little guys.

And I don't what the deal is with the mech like thing that is following them, though it might be an ally.

glennbyrnes

Jul 30, 2018
SYLMAR
And I don't what the deal is with the mech like thing that is following them, though it might be an ally.
Or an enemy. It's the robot from the factory.

I think that Anne looks good in black, don't you?

RainbowCupcake

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.
Dec 3, 2017
United States
"The Ballad of Hopediah Plantar:" A cute little episode (literally). I liked that the "small town" was actually small and the Bitties were adorable (until the end, that is). Wander Over Yonder also had an episode that focused on tiny creatures called Bitties. Bailey was a fun character and I liked his line about being "numb at this point." Interesting twist to have the Bitties turn evil and destroy the gang themselves; Hop Pop was simply no match for them. I laughed at the beginning of the episode when Sprig repeatedly sang about how Hop Pop cowered.

"Anne Hunter:" I liked the setting of this one. Jungles leave a lot of opportunity for adventure and crazy creatures, as seen with the Scorpileo. Hallucination Sprig was the highlight of this episode for sure. I also chuckled at Hop Pop's "stick surprise." Those grub things actually looked appetizing, since they were made to resemble donuts. Now I'm hungry...(too bad it's National Ice Cream Day and not National Donut Day...)

So the robot guy continues to follow the Plantars. Will they be a friend or foe?

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Anne Hunter >>>>> The Ballad of Hoppadiah Planter, in terms of this latest episode for me, personally.

I don't know why, but I feel Hop Pop got punked out in his episode, compared to where Anne learned something somewhat useful, despite how silly it comes off at first, in comparison (which results in a High Tier episode for me, personally.).

I know which episode comes off more memorable and engaging for me as a result, IMHO. And it's sadly not the one with the wild west feel to it (that was just... too middling for its own good (Mid Tier, to be exact.).

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
The Ballad of Hopediah Plantar: I didn't really like this one. mostly because of the ending. But it felt like the episode was made to make fun of and humiliate Hop-Pop. While the Bitties transforming was unexpected(I was expecting them to transform into mini-Tusk Frogs when the first one started transforming), the joke about them defending Hop-Pop instead of being inspired and defend themselves, felt forced.

Anne Hunter: This was a much better episode. Anne learns that something like hunting isn't instantly mastered. The new creature might've been part scorpion and part lion, but it feels like it was inspired by the yautja from the Predator films.
Like The Ballad of Hopediah Plantar, the robot is seen at the end, but now we get a full of it. It's not very threatening.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
The Ballad of Hopediah Plantar: I didn't really like this one. mostly because of the ending. But it felt like the episode was made to make fun of and humiliate Hop-Pop. While the Bitties transforming was unexpected(I was expecting them to transform into mini-Tusk Frogs when the first one started transforming), the joke about them defending Hop-Pop instead of being inspired and defend themselves, felt forced.
EXACTLY THIS. Such below average material isn't gonna cut it if S2 wants to be just as good, if not better, than S1 in any sense going forward! Hop Pop really needs a legitimately High Tier episode at this point to really make up for this, honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShadowBeast

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.
Chowder grew up 10 years ago today August 7, 2010 and would pave the way for C.H. Greenblatt to grow as an animator. He had it rough in the 2010’s but he would create Harvey Beaks and Jellystone.
Both "Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars" and "Scooby Doo And Batman: The Brave And The Bold" tie with 2 votes each. I'll be tiebreaker. It was really hard, but I pick "Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars". Now the final matchup is between "Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars" and "Quack Pack".