Amphibia News And Discussion Thread

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member

I found this tweet from Matt Braly.
Well, Vailskibum must be feeling pretty special right now.

Anyway, that's... unfortunate. Not only will we have to endure a ridiculously long hiatus, the episodes will fly by so fast that it will be somewhat difficult to fully absorb and enjoy the story. At least this will make for a jam packed summer.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Wow that's a speeding truck of a season, will be great if someone wants to "binge" on the app

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, Vailskibum must be feeling pretty special right now.

Anyway, that's... unfortunate. Not only will we have to endure a ridiculously long hiatus, the episodes will fly by so fast that it will be somewhat difficult to fully absorb and enjoy the story. At least this will make for a jam packed summer.
My guess is that since this show is set up to more story driven, they're appealing to the binge watching mentality, much like with the story driven Ducktales and Big Hero 6 did last month.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
From “Best Fronds”. A Sega Dreamcast.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
-I'm also concerned about how quickly the story appears to be showing up. Are we going to get some big reveal at the end of every episode? I hope not. How long is the show going to last? At the beginning of "Best Fronds," I said something out loud like,
"I wonder if Anne's friends ended up in the world, too." And sure enough, the end of the episode proved my prediction to be true!
Not that I don't mind seeing my questions get answered, but I also want to be surprised and not have the entire mystery be answered right away. I'm sure there's still a lot of storytelling in store, but I was a bit disappointed we were already getting some big questions answered in the first two segments.

I very much prefer they do that over what Star Vs did and not have the story kick in until late season 2. This is much more upfront and honest about what it's going to be, while with Star I just got the impression they decided mid-way through to just ride off trends for the sake of cheap popularity.

StellaMagic

There's an upcoming episode called "Family Shrub" where Polly and Sprig find out about their family history. Maybe we'll find out what happened to their parents in that one.

glennbyrnes

Alright so far but I kinda wish Anne was a little meaner, I remember the synopsis saying she was kinda spoiled but so far she feels too nice
I guess that shows that there is hope for her.

Besides, this episode shows us how reckless and inconsiderate she is.

Last edited by a moderator:

RainbowCupcake

Staff member
Cane Crazy: This one had some funny moments. The shop keeper was definitely an odd little character. I liked the moment where he talked about buying the map at a price, but then Anne just took a picture of it with her phone, causing the shop keeper to mutter, "Or you could do that...for free." Side note: didn't Anne drop her phone in the lake last episode? Was this an intentional continuity error? Anyway, I'm liking Polly more than I would. She continues to have some pretty solid one-liners, like randomly saying to the shop keeper, "You're bald!" and uttering, "Heh heh. Frogs died here," in the swamp. It was also sweet to see Hop Pop care about Anne at the end of the episode. I liked his lame come-backs.

Flood, Sweat & Tears: This episode displayed the growing relationship between Anne and Sprig splendidly. Four episodes in and they're already the best of friends. At least we got to see some conflict between them here, which adds some realism to their friendship for sure. I liked the text overlays that counted up the nights Anne and Sprig spent together. I totally did not expect the first one, so when the bold, yellow, "NIGHT ONE" appeared on the screen accompanied by a dramatic sound effect, I laughed out loud for the first time in the half hour. Those river lampreys were mega creepy. If there's one thing this show does well, it's creating some messed up creatures. I thought the end of the episode was sweet. Despite fighting a lot in the episode, Sprig and Anne were able to make amends and still remain friends. Predictable, but great character development for the two of them. It was nice seeing them be able to both enjoy their own space, but still keep in touch and talk to each other and ask their weird "would you rather" questions.

Sprig and Anne's interactions, as well as some goofy sayings from Polly, are what I am enjoying most about the show so far. I also like Hop Pop. Heck, I like all the characters! Still wish more of the gags hit a home run for me, but nonetheless, I'll be tuning in for more.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It's still good. Besides, do ratings count with online too?
They only count tv ratings. Besides, the premiere of TOTS, which not as many people were looking forward to, got over 600,000 views for both episodes.

Korra_Fan

Alright so far but I kinda wish Anne was a little meaner, I remember the synopsis saying she was kinda spoiled but so far she feels too nice

I think they're making her seem nice right now because of the situation she's in, and then we'll be given flashbacks to her life on Earth that reveals back home she was kind of an awful person (her friends probably aren't so great either). It's an effective trick: get the audience liking and sympathizing with her in Amphibia and then blurring the lines by showing what she was like on Earth. Since it was also said by the creator of the show that Anne was inspired by his work on Pacifica Northwest in Gravity Falls and that Anne has a similar "redemption arc", that's definitely where I think they're going here. Plus, y'know, casting London Tipton herself to voice her.

I very much prefer they do that over what Star Vs did and not have the story kick in until late season 2. This is much more upfront and honest about what it's going to be, while with Star I just got the impression they decided mid-way through to just ride off trends for the sake of cheap popularity.

You're off track by a season - it was late Season 1 where the story kicked in, with the introduction of Toffee. Also, my main hope for this show is that the difference in species between Anne and Sprig keeps another "Starco" situation from happening, and this m/f friendship can remain just that.

Dr.Pepper

Amphibia did much lower than I thought. I figured it could have gotten at least 450,000.
There’s also the fact that kids could still be in school. The district I work for gets out tomorrow and one of the neighboring districts doesn’t get out until the 25th.

glennbyrnes

Annie was much more obnoxious in this episode than she was in the first one. Did you see the awful way she ridiculed Hop Pop and how inconsiderate she was of Sprig when she moved in with him?

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Annie was much more obnoxious in this episode than she was in the first one. Did you see the awful way she ridiculed Hop Pop and how inconsiderate she was of Sprig when she moved in with him?

You do realize the point of Anne as a character is to become less what you're describing her as over time and to have her learn what real friendship is, right?
Well, that's just my take, but I don't agree with said attitude that much, myself. I still like her more than that firetrucking obnoxious Star Butterfly, that's for sure!

In fact, it's pretty early, but I chalk this up as one more show from Disney I prefer ANYDAY over anything in Star Vs that isn't Ludo or Toffee, honestly.

RainbowCupcake

Staff member
Hop Luck: A fun little adventure episode. That voodoo girl made me uncomfortable. Too bad we never got to see the pizza get made. I wonder if it would have turned out disgusting anyway, since none of the ingredients would be "authentic" human foods. I totally saw the ending coming.

Stakeout: I liked seeing the relationship between Anne and Hop Pop grow in this episode. Their hallucinations were amusing. I enjoyed the anime superhero inspired fight (no pun intended). Sprig was kind of selfish here but at least he learned a lesson. Then again, Anne was bratty too at times. Polly's ending with the boulder monster was weird, but I still thought the episode was good overall.

Now that we've seen an episode where Anne heavily interacts with Hop Pop and Sprig, I'd love to see an episode with just Polly and Anne. Being that they're both girls, I could see that making for an interesting story.

EDIT: My dream came true! :D

Last edited:

glennbyrnes

If Anne still has her phone, why doesn't she call for help so that someone would rescue her from Amphibia?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts