Amphibia News And Discussion Thread

Mandouga

Unfortunately, it's actually the third episode according to Walt Disney TV's press site. I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on (maybe) watching it in order.

I say maybe because I plan on reading summaries of the episodes online first. I'm sorry everyone, but personally, I'm not taking any chances. Not only that, but from the short (that is, single sentence) summaries I've read so far, let me just say that at this point, it could be either or. "Anne or Beast" involves Sprig trying to prove he's "responsible", while "Cane Crazy" (the actual first segment of the actual first episode) involves what I'm guessing is a "Zany Scheme" (TV Tropes) in which Anne and the others try to replace Hop Pop's favorite cane after they accidentally break it, possibly implying the whole "you have to face the consequences" moral*. Really, you guys, I don't like what it's beginning to look like so far, though again, it could be either or.

In any case, Alexsketchy2004, what exactly did you like about it?

*Maybe they'll actually replace it, and nothing more will be said about it? TBH, I kind of hope that's the case, really.

Alexsketchy2004

Alex Dee
Unfortunately, it's actually the third episode according to Walt Disney TV's press site. I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on (maybe) watching it in order.

I say maybe because I plan on reading summaries of the episodes online first. I'm sorry everyone, but personally, I'm not taking any chances. Not only that, but from the short (that is, single sentence) summaries I've read so far, let me just say that at this point, it could be either or. "Anne or Beast" involves Sprig trying to prove he's "responsible", while "Cane Crazy" (the actual first segment of the actual first episode) involves what I'm guessing is a "Zany Scheme" (TV Tropes) in which Anne and the others try to replace Hop Pop's favorite cane after they accidentally break it, possibly implying the whole "you have to face the consequences" moral*. Really, you guys, I don't like what it's beginning to look like so far, though again, it could be either or.

In any case, Alexsketchy2004, what exactly did you like about it?

*Maybe they'll actually replace it, and nothing more will be said about it? TBH, I kind of hope that's the case, really.
I like the settings and the characters, and as far, my two favorite characters are Sprig and Polly

And i loved the little surprise on the end of Episode 2 :)

Enviado desde mi moto e5 plus mediante Tapatalk

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active

That could be a error in the episode order, as Crazy Cane/Flood, Sweat, Tears is either listed as the 2nd or the 3rd, plus that those didn't start off of having Anne appearing to Wartworld, but rather after the fact, so it's mostly an error. Besides I wouldn't believe what the website may show (even though it's official enough) as there always going to be a some errors that needed to be correct.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Disney has never aired anything in the production order. If the order on the app is different, then maybe that's the correct order.

Alexsketchy2004

Alex Dee
I noticed that compared to DisneyNow Episode, on the Disney Channel Upload of the episode, the audio is on Mono

Mandouga

All the same, I'm going with what the official source says, despite The Futon Critic saying that Anne or Beast is part of the first episode. The link I posted is from an official Disney website, so I'm going with that.

Digamma-F-Wau

I'm surprised the show's script driven (as indicated by the "written by" and "storyboarded by" credits being separate), most modern 11-minute disney tva shows tend to be board driven.

edit: oh doy, they state that in an article I didn't bother to read, and boarders still have some leeway to alter things.

A lot of shows wait a few eps in to produce their intended first episodes (see Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, OK KO), plus season 1 production codes tend to be weird and inaccurate to actual production order at times. These two episodes are completely unambiguously the intended first episodes, no question about it, with Anne or Beast being the ep Anne meets the rest of the cast and Best Fronds being a direct follow up.

Last edited:

StellaMagic

WHo here thinks Hop Pop is the next Grunkle Stan, as in the relative with a secret that makes him mysterious?

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I think the show is off to a pretty strong start. Out of everything, I really enjoy the friendship between Anne and Sprig in particular. Their interactions feel natural, and though they annoy each other sometimes, they always have each other's back. It just feels refreshingly genuine.

Beyond that, the premise manages to hit the right blend between simple and engaging for me. I can see there being a lot of twists and turns as the series progresses, which will make for a fun ride for sure. I just hope they don't take the Star Vs route and turn the show into a different one midway through, but I digress.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Dudley

Staff member
I think the show is off to a pretty strong start. Out of everything, I really enjoy the friendship between Anne and Sprig in particular. Their interactions feel natural, and though they annoy each other sometimes, they always have each other's back. It just feels refreshingly genuine.

Beyond that, the premise manages to hit the right blend between simple and engaging for me. I can see there being a lot of twists and turns as the series progresses, which will make for a fun ride for sure. I just hope they don't take the Star Vs route and turn the show into a different one midway through, but I digress.

Looking forward to seeing more.

I feel the same way. The show is cute and charming, and I’m interested to seeing what it’s building up to. It’s not making me laugh like Gravity Falls, but that show left big shoes to fill.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I know its only been one episode. Reagrdless... That first episode thankfully didn't disappoint, that's for sure. I won't go making comparisons (as much as I would love to), I just know I'm looking forward to more, so far. Although I can tell this won't be too heavily story-driven (I mean, this art style does lean towards SOL Comedy, TBH here.), whatever - as long as the yarn it's trying to spin is still competent enough to make a sweater out of, I'm already invested enough, what with that ending to the second segment showing something's up here.

The way I see it, this looks like a 2 to 3 seasons MAX show, if I just go that far here. What really matters, though, is if it can keep up the good work.

Darkdawn

I Am Here
Loved the first half-hour. Anne and Sprig are too sweet for words. And it does seems to be building up to an overarching storyline (in terms of emotionally-driven character progression if not so much ultra-detailed lore or cryptic puzzles... which is perfectly fine by me).

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Aside from the fact that the show started three minutes early and I almost missed it, I have to say that I enjoyed the first two episodes...but not as much as I thought I would.

The positives:
-Anne and Sprig's friendship is super sweet. I love seeing the two of them interact. It's not a friendship that is shoved down the audience's throats; it starts out small and builds over time, making it a pleasant part of each episode.
-The show is well cast. The voices fit the characters well, especially Brenda Song and Bill Farmer.
-The show's world building is already very strong. The background artists clearly paid attention to detail when mapping the setting out. The land itself is quite beautiful and unique. Even if the story bombs (which I doubt), at least the magical world will be a memorable component of the show.
-As for the story, I think the writers have something up their sleeves that will unravel into a cool tale.
I'm already curious where the chest came from and who the villain guy is at the end of episode two. How did this villain find Anne's shoe? What are his plans? Is he the "big baddie" or just an obstacle for these first few episodes? Where's Marcy? "So many QUES-OW!! COME ON!!!"

The negatives:
-I wish it was funnier. Especially in episode one, I felt that the writers were trying too hard to be witty. Big City Greens sometimes has this problem, but that show can be really clever at times. I felt that Amphibia wasn't. Polly had a few good one-liners, and Sprig's comment at the end of "Anne or Beast" about the bed bugs "draining a whole body in seconds" was pretty funny. However, I found the rest of the half hour to be lacking in the comedy department.
-Amphibia still screams Gravity Falls to me, even after watching the first two episodes. The show's atmosphere feels very similar, as well as the type of jokes it tries to tell, the mystery story, Stephen Root voicing the mayor (I can't not see Gideon's dad), heck even the second episode of the series centered around a lake. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but I'm worried the show is going to attempt to be a second Gravity Falls when it should just be its own thing.
-I'm also concerned about how quickly the story appears to be showing up. Are we going to get some big reveal at the end of every episode? I hope not. How long is the show going to last? At the beginning of "Best Fronds," I said something out loud like,
"I wonder if Anne's friends ended up in the world, too." And sure enough, the end of the episode proved my prediction to be true!
Not that I don't mind seeing my questions get answered, but I also want to be surprised and not have the entire mystery be answered right away. I'm sure there's still a lot of storytelling in store, but I was a bit disappointed we were already getting some big questions answered in the first two segments.

So, that's what I thought. The next two episodes air tomorrow. I'll have to remember to record them.

Last edited:

Alexsketchy2004

Alex Dee
Aside from the fact that the show started three minutes early and I almost missed it, I have to say that I enjoyed the first two episodes...but not as much as I thought I would.

The positives:
-Anne and Sprig's friendship is super sweet. I love seeing the two of them interact. It's not a friendship that is shoved down the audience's throats; it starts out small and builds over time, making it a pleasant part of each episode.
-The show is well cast. The voices fit the characters well, especially Brenda Song and Bill Farmer.
-The show's world building is already very strong. The background artists clearly paid attention to detail when mapping the setting out. The land itself is quite beautiful and unique. Even if the story bombs (which I doubt), at least the magical world will be a memorable component of the show.
-As for the story, I think the writers have something up their sleeves that will unravel into a cool tale.
I'm already curious where the chest came from and who the villain guy is at the end of episode two. How did this villain find Anne's shoe? What are his plans? Is he the "big baddie" or just an obstacle for these first few episodes? Where's Marcy? "So many QUES-OW!! COME ON!!!"

The negatives:
-I wish it was funnier. Especially in episode one, I felt that the writers were trying too hard to be witty. Big City Greens sometimes has this problem, but that show can be really clever at times. I felt that Amphibia wasn't. Polly had a few good one-liners, and Sprig's comment at the end of "Anne or Beast" about the bed bugs "draining a whole body in seconds" was pretty funny. However, I found the rest of the half hour to be lacking in the comedy department.
-Amphibia still screams Gravity Falls to me, even after watching the first two episodes. The show's atmosphere feels very similar, as well as the type of jokes it tries to tell, the mystery story, Stephen Root voicing the mayor (I can't not see Gideon's dad), heck even the second episode of the series centered around a lake. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but I'm worried the show is going to attempt to be a second Gravity Falls when it should just be its own thing.
-I'm also concerned about how quickly the story appears to be showing up. Are we going to get some big reveal at the end of every episode? I hope not. How long is the show going to last? At the beginning of "Best Fronds," I said something out loud like,
"I wonder if Anne's friends ended up in the world, too." And sure enough, the end of the episode proved my prediction to be true!
Not that I don't mind seeing my questions get answered, but I also want to be surprised and not have the entire mystery be answered right away. I'm sure there's still a lot of storytelling in store, but I was a bit disappointed we were already getting some big questions answered in the first two segments.

So, that's what I thought. The next two episodes air tomorrow. I'll have to remember to record them.
Did you record it?

I was trying to get the spanish dub from SAP

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
it was an alright start. Anne and Sprig's friendship is nice. It's backgrounds and setting does feel a little Gravity Falls like. Will be interesting to see if this was set up as a season long mystery leading up to something or not. Can't wait for the rest !

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Alright so far but I kinda wish Anne was a little meaner, I remember the synopsis saying she was kinda spoiled but so far she feels too nice

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts