American Idol judges fooled on Howard Stern

Supreme

The judges from American Idol were on Howard Stern yesterday (01/21/03). They were judging some people who came to the studio to see if they had what it takes to be on AI. They did their usual and ripped pretty harshly into the singers. Finally, the last person up, "Scott" sang a bit from "Hero" (from Spider-Man).

(paraphrased)

Simon: "You're too old to make it in this business. You're alright, but not very good."
Paula: "You were alright, but you lost us when you closed your eyes. You lack the ability to project and you don't have a good presence."
Last guy(?): "He was okay. Just okay."

Howard:"Since you've already given your judgemen, I can reveal that this isn't Scott, but rather Josey Scott, who wrote and performed on the song "Hero" and is also in the band Saliva. So what does that tell you?"
Simon: "That we have absolutely no idea what we are doing."

Howard:"Thank you, Josey. By the way, about how many singles of that song did you sell?"
Josey:"Over eight million."
Artie Lang:"Well maybe if you opened your eyes and projected more, you could have sold nine million."

I just thought it was cool that these pompous jerks (especially Simon) got their come-uppance :D

Galaxia

My Favorite Ed
Originally posted by Supreme
Howard:"Since you've already given your judgemen, I can reveal that this isn't Scott, but rather Josey Scott, who wrote and performed on the song "Hero" and is also in the band Saliva. So what does that tell you?"
Simon: "That we have absolutely no idea what we are doing.

That is BRILLIANT - take that, Simon! :D :harley:
That pompous jerk......

Chris Sanders MSX

The MAN is back
HA HA. Sweet. I'd like to hear some of them sing. Especially Simon. Paula is usually pretty nice about it, but when someone who hasn't cut a record since the 80's is aroound making judgements on people it makes you wonder.

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't hate Simon.. (yes I watched the Daily Show last night :p). Think about it, he's saying the person can't sing--and uh...Josey Scott can't really sing all that well. Whether the single sold 8 million or 20 million means nothing...*looks at Britney Spears, N Sync and Backstreet Boy's record sales* *cough*

-BB

czyznyck99

Exactly, just because someone sold 8 million copies does not mean that they can sing. The only reason that many were sold in the first place was because it was "Spider-man" endorsed. Or maybe it was the subliminal messages...

They filled up two hours of Tuesday night with American Idiocy, when most of us just wanted to watch 24. Then Fox News thinks they are legitimate enough to air the State of the Union next week. Ugh.

Later.

Enrique

I am that second mouse...
aside from supreme, did anyone else actually here this? i heard it, and part of the reason why the judges were fooled was because josey scott didn't use his singing voice... his did this breathy-singing-thing, like he was whispering into the mic, which i agreed with simon was "allright". if scott used his REAL singing voice, i'm sure the judges would've said something different.

The Landstander

Thanks ants. Thants.
Originally posted by Bird Boy
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't hate Simon.. (yes I watched the Daily Show last night :p). Think about it, he's saying the person can't sing--and uh...Josey Scott can't really sing all that well. Whether the single sold 8 million or 20 million means nothing...*looks at Britney Spears, N Sync and Backstreet Boy's record sales* *cough*

-BB

ditto.

the entire thing with simon is that he tells people who can't sing that they can't sing. and i hated that song. a lot.

Weatherman

Space...not what it used to be
Staff member
Reporter
Actually, wasn't it the guy from Nickleback who did most of the singing on that one? I thought Scott did one of the guitars, as I remember it the song was billed as "the guy from Nickleback and Josey Scott from Saliva"

cross blues

Howard Stern, still brilliant! So the judges are idiots... but so are the people who actually watch AI, so I'm sure no one will mind.

Simon told Scott he couldn't sing, but he also told Kelly Clarkson she could... and we all know she sucks.

mbaker

HA HA! Way to go, Howard! :D It's about time someone exposed those judges for the fools that they are. When A former Pop star (Paula Abdul) hasen't cut A hit record since the late 80's decides who has singing talent, or not, you can't help but scratch your head over it. (Like I said, I'm glad I got rid of her CDs. :mad: ) Simon has this mentality that looks sell music more than talent when it's actually the oppisite. (Although, it's A plus if you have both, but how often dose that happen?) Nickleback's "Hero" song was one of the very few decent tunes com come around in A long time.

Calico

Didn't you get the memo?
Originally posted by Weatherman
Actually, wasn't it the guy from Nickleback who did most of the singing on that one? I thought Scott did one of the guitars, as I remember it the song was billed as "the guy from Nickleback and Josey Scott from Saliva"

That would be Chad Kroeger, and yes he did sing 95% of the song (Josie has like two lines in the middle as well as sang some back-up). Now I like Saliva and all that, but Josie doesn't hold a candle to Chad (sorry, major Nickelback fan here!). And singing live is a bit different than having your voice synthesized and mixed in a studio. Maybe he just had an off day.

Supreme

-BB
Also, regardless of whether you like the music/singing or not, doesn't make it bad, either. I can't stand Britney, but I have to admit that she can sing. I know people don't like to admit it, but record sales ARE the main indication of the quality of a performer. If people didn't think that the music was good, they wouldn't buy it. I'm sick of all these haters who whine about music using Bird Boy's argument. No matter how "refined" are your music tastes, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Mackenzie Rainelle

Anime Psychoanalyst
::shrug:: I like Simon. He doesn't fool around and give the contestants compliments they don't deserve. Whether that makes him an ******* or not is up to your perception, but anyone who can't take the kind of criticism he gives shouldn't be trying out in the first place. I've gotten worse from teachers, and it only made me try harder to show them up.

Failure

Entertainment Mod
Originally posted by Supreme
I know people don't like to admit it, but record sales ARE the main indication of the quality of a performer.

I wouldn't go that far. Marketing is the main indication of record sales.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Heh heh - ya know, most of the time, I agree with everything the judges say. It's still cool to see someone turn the tables on them - as if they care, though. There ARE a lot of crappy musicians out there, and their success is quite mind-blowing. Josey Scott is one of those with actual talent, though. :)

-Tim

Nightwing

WF Old Man

-BB

Sir I will say to you what I said to John Stewart last night (he keeps saying he can't hear me answer his questions cuz he's on TV and I'm at home but I don't believe him) when he had the same opinion. I don't like those judges.

When I see a stupid pop culture motivated (and therefore stupidity and profit motivated) show like American Idol, I can only assume that those jerks act that way 1 part because it truly is how they feel, and two parts cuz doing so will get the show more ratings or something. Although I kinda went off with that didn't I. lol, sorry. My other, probably more valid point is that despite the fact that I understand there are the clueless morons out there that think they can sing when they can't (and maybe even go as far as bragging about it, although you EASILY see that in more than just THIS topic. Why I was just reading about a comic book expert related one somewhere else), I still think that much of the insults they deliver are very over exaggerated, and therefore unneccessary.

But on a lighter note, I'd like to, for the first time ever, say that I've found a reason to ACTUALLY appreciate the existence of Howard Stern and his whole general "I'm a jerk" hijinks. He put them to good use this one time. :p

Killtacular

the race wars had begun
The initial round is the funniest and best part of American Idol. I could care less for the later rounds because then it's just a pop competition. But with the first round, you get a whole bunch of CRAP. MIND-NUMBING TERROR.

You have to understand that the judges have to deal with nearly 3000 contestants in each location, and usually ALL WITHIN THE SAME DAY. What you're seeing is like.. the top 50 of those 3000 in those locations. So that means there's 2500 contestants that are EVEN WORSE.

Maybe they ARE too harsh, but they have to be, you know? This is the real world. Wake up. Most, if not all, of the people they rejected would have no future in the music industry. They don't belong. Either it's their image or the fact that they can't sing professionally.

Do I think it's necessary that Simon tells people how bad they sing? Maybe not, but I bet you'd be agitated if you had to sit through a really crappy performance after just hearing a really good one.

NinjaJack

Boxer Mom

I felt sorry for the boxer girl, she really had some heart and that is what I think some people lack in music these days.
I don`t believe Simon has one, did you see the girl who looked like Lauren Hill? She had singing ability and she had a good look, lets hope she and the Boxer find their way to superstardom elsewhere.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts