Am I the only one who likes the Scooby-Doo shorts from the 80's?

CoolCaper

They were short, they were weird, they had real monsters, but...I like weird. And real monsters. And silly little series that are weird in a fun way.

Mandouga

I'm...not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean the segments with Scrappy-Doo that aired on The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show* (which later aired as a half hour show with the "three shorts" format)? In any case, not all of them had real monsters...

*"And Scrappy, too!"

CoolCaper

I'm...not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean the segments with Scrappy-Doo that aired on The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show* (which later aired as a half hour show with the "three shorts" format)? In any case, not all of them had real monsters...

*"And Scrappy, too!"
That's the one. A lot of them did, which some people like to zero in on for some reason or another. How did you feel about them?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Every single time this thread starter makes a new thread about this precise subject people always jump in to tell him how he's made the thread all wrong without bothering to answer his original question.

As to the question at hand I was never a huge Scooby Doo fan but I liked the Scrappy episodes better simply because the ones with Fred, Daphne and Velma were all so boring.

Mandouga

(sigh)...

For your information, Fone Bone, I did no such thing! I needed clarification as to what exactly the poster meant before I could give them an answer. Did YOU even bother to read my post?

Or maybe you were just speaking in general? If so, it didn't sound like it.

As to your question, CoolCaper, I like every version of Scooby-Doo*. I will say that the second, third seasons of Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo--and yes, even the fourth season (with Scrappy and Yabba-Doo^)--are definitely a fun experience.

*Although I have no intention of watching Be Cool, Scooby-Doo after what I've heard about it; I'm not quite a fan of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated either...

^ At the end of most stories, he says "Yibbity-Yabbity-DOO!", since the other thing would be, you know, too obvious...

Erased Paper

*"And Scrappy, too!"
Actually, it was a half hour show for the first five weeks, before it became "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show".

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Moved this thread to "Saturday Morning Forever", as it's a discussion of the old Scooby Doo of the 80's, not the new shows.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
(sigh)...

For your information, Fone Bone, I did no such thing! I needed clarification as to what exactly the poster meant before I could give them an answer. Did YOU even bother to read my post?

Or maybe you were just speaking in general? If so, it didn't sound like it.
I was speaking in general. Sorry for singling you out. Also thank you for offering your opinion once you got the clarification. That was cool of you.

Zachary Noah

*"And Scrappy, too!"

Yes! That was also when Don Messick did double duty as the voice of both Scooby and Scrappy, replacing Lennie Weinrib as the voice of the latter! When those episodes were repackaged for syndication, they used the opening title sequences from the original 1979 episodes, but with one major difference, the footage where Scrappy carries Scooby back inside the room where Shaggy, Daphne, Fred, and Velma are hanging out was replaced with a small snippet of Scooby and Shaggy running and shivering, which was from the 1979 episode "The Ghoul, the Bat, and the Ugly." Current prints of the 1980-1982 episodes of "Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" use the original 1979 opening titles with Fred, Daphne, and Velma. Also, most episodes that originally aired in 1982 as part of "The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour" retained the original 1982 end credits, but with the 2001 Warner Bros. Television Distribution logo instead of the 1982 Ruby-Spears Enterprises logo. The 1979 Hanna-Barbera logo also had the Taft byline blacked out on current prints of "Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo."

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts