Am I Blue? The Conroy version!

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
You know what else might be a cool extra for a DVD...Cree Summer singing the full version of "Uh Oh, Fell In Love Again." Or having Jeffrey Combs sing it. Or both.

I'd like to see Conroy's "Am I Blue" and the full-length Combs rendition of "Uh Oh" released on a special compliation entitled "World's Freakiest Melodies," which would also feature the half-hour version of "Helter Skelter" and Bing Crosby's cover of "Hey Jude." Releasing this album to the public would probably result in scenes like those witnessed in Suicide Club but it'd worth it.

Nick K.

Bird Boy said:
...no it's not. I've been hearing "OST" since I started buying movie soundtracks. I highly doubt it's "mostly an anime" thing when almost every movie made has an original soundtrack...

-BB

I think he was referring to the use of OST.

b.t.

OST="original sound track"....duh, b.t.! :rolleyes:

sadly, no dcau OST's in the pipeline, as far as i know....it WOULD be awesome, though...

as much as people have ragged on the JL and JLU music, there's a TON of great music there...(and in our previous shows)...one of the best perks of my job is getting copies of the scores on cd from the composers....NOT just for fun; i typically receive each score a day or two before we do the sound mix, and listen to it several times before the mix -- as many times as i can, actually -- so that i'm very familiar with it...for instance, if there's a particularly nice bit in the score, i'll make sure that the sound fx don't completely bury it, etc....or if there's a certain element in the music that i want to emphasize, or DE-emphasize, whether it's a vocal track or percussion, or whatever, i know what to ask for when we get to the mixing stage...

(...then, afterwards, i DO listen to them just for fun....lately, the score for "the return" has been playing in heavy rotation :)...)

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
b.t. said:
one of the best perks of my job is getting copies of the scores on cd from the composers
That's gotta be the sweetest thing in the world. How many minutes of music is usually composed for each half-hour episode?

And hey, if they ever do release an OST, I demand sheet music as well.

b.t.

GMahler said:
You know what else might be a cool extra for a DVD...Cree Summer singing the full version of "Uh Oh, Fell In Love Again." Or having Jeffrey Combs sing it. Or both.

funny "uh oh" story....we originally wanted question to be singing the second verse:

"uh oh, fell in love again
last night after i swore off men..."

not that we wanted to imply that question was gay (though obviously that would more than likely have been a hot topic here on TZ!), we just thought it woulda been funnier, as if he's not even noticing what he's singing....

bs&p actually allowed it, and jeffrey was game...unfortunately, the syncopation of the music kinda fights the rhythm of the lyrics at that point-- "last NIGHT af-TER i swore off MEH-ennn" -- and it was just a bit too hard for jeffrey to get the hang of it, so we just had him do the first verse instead...

the fact that jeffrey ISN'T a trained singer (like, say, kevin conroy) actually makes the bit even better, i think....i love when he strains for that really high part :"IT JUST HAPPENED...yyyou walked in my doo-oor..."

it's a great little "character" bit, one of my favorites in the entire dcau canon....gotta credit bob goodman for that one....

Doomsday

Superman`s Killer
That was one of the best scenes ever with the Question singing. Its sort of sad though that I laughed more in that serious episode than a comedy episode like TGSNT. Maybe next goofy episode you guys do should have the Question. But next season I hope you do at most one comedy episode, all of them this season is getting ripped about. I didn't hate them but if wished we had more serious stuff and I'm not talking about crap like HaD. So b.t. has been listening to the music from The Return. Thats getting my hope up for it actually being a great episode like FTMWHE. Hearing more of the Question singing would be an awesome extra. Or maybe just get Kevin Conroy to sing that song.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
GMahler said:
Uh, now forgive my ignorance, but...where is that from? :confused: Help! Peligro! Aidez-moi, s.v.p.!

-Tim

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
TimTwoFace said:
Uh, now forgive my ignorance, but...where is that from? :confused: Help! Peligro! Aidez-moi, s.v.p.!

-Tim
That was just a silly pop song made up by the writers for Fearful Symetry, a recent episode of JLU.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Ahhh...sorry, but being in Canada I haven't caught any JLU (or much of JL to date), and I wasn't aware there was any singing beyond Conroy's "Am I Blue". When I saw Jeffrey Combs listed, I started thinking that the Scarecrow had taken up singing, too. :)

Thanks for correcting my confusion!

-Tim

Lunchbox

I'm halfway considering learning "Am I Blue" (the male lyrics) since it's in my range. Doubt if contests look kindly on jazz pieces, though.

Oh well. Back to Moses Hogan arrangements.

b.t.

Doomsday said:
But next season I hope you do at most one comedy episode, all of them this season is getting ripped about.

there are no more all-out comedic episodes this season, or next, for that matter...that there were three comedies this early on in the season is the result of a series of flukes more than anything else -- it's too complicated to go into detail here, but here's a tiny "for instance": the booster gold story started out as a "straight" FIRESTORM story....it was never our intention to turn JLU into a bi-weekly jokefest....the show's gonna be pretty "straight" action-adventure from here on in....

Doomsday

Superman`s Killer
Thats awesome news. Hopefully people will start saying more good things now that the serious stuff is going to start happening, that is once they get made and CN starts showing the second half of season 1 of JLU. But atleast we are getting the Return, hopefully it will show people that JLU is not an updated verson of the Superfriends and is in its own league.

Mike Toole

I ENJOY BARKING AT TRAINS
b.t. said:
as much as people have ragged on the JL and JLU music, there's a TON of great music there...(and in our previous shows)...one of the best perks of my job is getting copies of the scores on cd from the composers....
Well, if releasing a DCU "singles collection" isn't feasible, how about including some of the scores and musical bits as isolated soundtracks on the DVD release? One of my favorite features of the DVD of Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog from a couple of years back was the isolated sound score by Tha RZA-- it had lots of compositions that weren't on either of the soundtrack CDs.

Of course, this would no doubt involve paying extra money to the composers, thus adding another economic burden to an already niche product. Just a thought.

Nick K.

b.t. said:
there are no more all-out comedic episodes this season, or next, for that matter...that there were three comedies this early on in the season is the result of a series of flukes more than anything else -- it's too complicated to go into detail here, but here's a tiny "for instance": the booster gold story started out as a "straight" FIRESTORM story....it was never our intention to turn JLU into a bi-weekly jokefest....the show's gonna be pretty "straight" action-adventure from here on in....

I hope that isn't a result of all the comedies getting ripped on, cause truth be told, people are over critical of the fine work you guys are doing.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
b.t. said:
I loved Kids Stuff and This Little Piggy though my reaction to The Greatest Story Never Told was mixed due to Blue Beetle's absense. I'm glad we got at least three all out romps on JLU since ALL of JL was mostly serious (Brave and the Bold excepted.)

If JLU gets picked up for a third and fourth season don't hesitate to expirement with comedic episodes now and then. It's refreshing to watch JLU without a single clue of what's coming next.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
GMahler said:
I got tired of reading people complain about episodes like "Kid Stuff" and "This Little Piggy" which were both episodes that I enjoyed immensely. I mean, I don't think that it's really much different than The Adventures of Batman & Robin, where there were a few comedy episodes ("Harley's Holiday," "Harlequinade," "Make 'Em Laugh") over the course of 20 episodes or so.
Exactly. I also hope for one more comedic episode or so in the future: some people deserve to get pissed off. There's nothing wrong with a tonally varied superhero show. Some hypercritics are pretty much humorless anyway. And when seasons 3 and 4 are over, I think people will take much a much fonder attitude to the comedies once they're seen in perspective.

Doomsday

Superman`s Killer
I'll rather have a crazy what will happen next random episode like Hereafter. But I guess that can be an comedic episode as well. But I would only like one comedic episode once a season but I can live without one again. They really over did them this season but if they do a 3rd season I'll like to see them give another try at it. They did an good job on Kids Stuff and TLP was ok, but the jokes can be funnier.

Phantasm

Bittersweet Symphony.
I loved all the comedy episodes so far!!Except that all of them seemed to have a heavy dose of WW/BM, which got REALLY annoying.Other than that, I really wouldn't mind any more...The Greatest Story Never Told was hilarious!Better than This Little Piggy and Kids Stuff combined!

Replikon Xum

b.t. said:

sadly, no dcau OST's in the pipeline, as far as i know....it WOULD be awesome, though...
That's sad to hear. I was so looking forward to buying the Starcrossed Original Soundtrack mentioned on the back on the DVD box...

Xum

Captain Clown

b.t. said:
not that we wanted to imply that question was gay (though obviously that would more than likely have been a hot topic here on TZ!), we just thought it woulda been funnier, as if he's not even noticing what he's singing....
Oh, I can read between the lines, you're trying to hint that Question is really gay. Gotcha.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts