Alien vs. Predator Uncut edition coming in November!

The Clown Prince

My God carries a big Hammer
Staff member
From DVDAnswers.com....

Fox Home Entertainment has announced a collector's edition of Alien Vs. Predator which stars Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova, Lance Henriksen and Ewen Bremmer. This new two-disc release will include the theatrical edition of the film, along with a seamlessly branched unrated cut. The new scenes added are entitled Antarctica 1904, Argument, Chamber of Skulls, Sacrifice, Weyland's Death and Predator Ritual.

The film will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with both English Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include a commentary by Paul W.S. Anderson, Lance Henriksen and Sanaa Lathan, a second audio commentary by Alec Gillis, Tom Woodruff Jr. and John Bruno, a Pre-Production: AVP The Beginning feature, a Branching Footage: ADI Workshop feature, a Storyboard Gallery, concept art, and a AVP Production featurette. Completing the package will be branching Video off of Making of AVP: Miniature Whaling Station, Facehuggers & Eggs, Trouble at the Mouth of the Tunnel, a visual effects breakdown, deleted scenes with optional director's commentary (The Sister, Miller Gets Caught, & Love Scene), a Licensing the Franchise: Aliens vs Predator the Comic Book featurette, a Monsters in Miniature by Todd McFarlane feature, a HBO special, three theatrical trailers, and trailers for Alien Quadrilogy and Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary. Stay tuned for the official package artwork.
As somone who liked this movie when many others didn't, I knew Fox was doing this, I knew it! I held off on the first release so I'm looking forward to this.

This looks to be like the 2 disc edition that all other regions got except region 1. But now this region 1 release will have an uncut version when other releases didn't. Plus it seems that maybe some of those new reinserted scenes are new and didn't appear in the deleted scenes section on the other region releases.

The Clown Prince

Michael24

Staff member
Since Paul Anderson said there was no R-rated Director's Cut like the rumors that were spreading, I went ahead and bought AvP when it first came out. And I think I'll just keep it. I enjoyed the film the way it is, though I may still rent this new edition just to check it out.

Hades

That's just great. Fox kept changing their story around about a DC, so I went out and got the TV back in Jan because it was only $12. This is why I will not buy Constantine, Sin City, Punisher, or Fantastic Four (when it comes out), they'll have DCs soon enough.

Harley_Quinn

Honey, get mommy’s bazooka
The Clown Prince you weren't the only one, I enjoyed that flick as well and will pick up this new edition!

BonyT

Sisyphus in Hell
I'm SO glad I held off & didn't get the earlier AVP release -- I'll definitely be looking forward to this one.

... Man, lot of good DVDs coming out this fall: Batman Begins, Star Wars Ep III, and now AVP (and I'm probably forgetting some others).

Harley_Quinn

Honey, get mommy’s bazooka
BonyT said:
I'm SO glad I held off & didn't get the earlier AVP release -- I'll definitely be looking forward to this one.

... Man, lot of good DVDs coming out this fall: Batman Begins, Star Wars Ep III, and now AVP (and I'm probably forgetting some others).
The fall is always a great time for DVD's mainly because you get a lot of the summer blockbusters.

Style

The Green Style Returns
Michael24 said:
Since Paul Anderson said there was no R-rated Director's Cut like the rumors that were spreading, I went ahead and bought AvP when it first came out. And I think I'll just keep it. I enjoyed the film the way it is, though I may still rent this new edition just to check it out.
Funny, I remember an interview with him saying there was definately an R rated cut and that he felt the theatre cut "cut out all the best scenes," that the "Film was gutted," and that there was even "a subplot that made the film make more sense."

I'm pretty sure those weren't just internet rumors, it was an interview he did.

Spider-Man

Hades said:
This is why I will not buy Constantine, Sin City, Punisher, or Fantastic Four (when it comes out), they'll have DCs soon enough.
I read that the Constantine: Deluxe Edition is the only special edition the movie will get. The deleted scenes didn't add anything to the movie and I can't see them putting them back in. I think you're safe with Constantine. But I've read there are special editions or director's cuts of Sin City, Punisher, and Fantastic Four coming.

As for Aliens VS Predator I wasn't a big fan of the movie but I am a huge fan of the Alien franchise so I might cave and pick this up. I'm just disappointed that it's taken this long to release this special edition when it should have been released when the regular edition was put out.

Style 92 said:
Funny, I remember an interview with him saying there was definately an R rated cut and that he felt the theatre cut "cut out all the best scenes," that the "Film was gutted," and that there was even "a subplot that made the film make more sense."
I am pretty sure I read the exact same article on www.darkhorizons.com I think. He said there was even a cut scene to explain the increased speed of the alien incubation to maturity.

The Clown Prince

Staff member
Ah, the interview that BloodyDisgusting website did. I read that interview twice, and yes Spider-Man, Paul Anderson did say that he did have a scene, that explained the "quick" growth of the chestbursters. He had said that it was a hormone that the Predators injected the Queen with so that the aliens would grow quicker, thus getting the hunt started sooner. A reasonable and easy answer to it. Whether this is in the new cut or deleted scenes, I don't know.

Anderson had wanted to do a lot more, (both already filmed scenes and wanted to film scenes) but things with Fox it seemed, like it seems to happen to some Alien directors (David Fincher, and Pierre Jenuett) really put the strangle hold on how things should have been done.

It was a fun movie for what it was. Do I wish it could have been the movie it should have been? Yes. But I'm inclined to believe Fox was more at fault at the turn out of this thing than Anderson.

One of Anderson's explanations of the short running time of the movie was that they ran out of time with completing FX on some scenes. Fox refused to move the release date back after spending millions on marketing and advertising telling the date etc. Though this thing still would have gotten bashed by the critics and most fans, I still think that the smarter move would have been to let the movie get completed. But Fox decided to let that happen for the DVD releases.

Anyone notice who has seen the DVD (Region 1,2,3, or 4) that the deleted scenes that are included are completed? They look like they could have been put back into the movie without anyone noticing otherwise. The presentation of the picture quality was on par with the rest of the movie. That told a lot of people that something more was gonna be done with those deleted scenes. Most studios wouldn't complete scenes like that just for a deleted scenes section on a DVD. George Lucas being an exception for his prequel DVD's. And in that same interview, Anderson did say that an R rated director's cut was in the works. Though how more "hardcore" this new edit is remains to be seen. Anderson may have this new edit to show to fans to try and make up for the theatrical cut, but keep in mind that it's more than likely not gonna have added stuff in it to rival the gore fest that the Predator films had and Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection had. Though I do expect to see at least a little more blood maybe. :evil:

You can just tell by the way the human deaths were shot that not a lot of blood and gore was used. A more psychological approach was taken like in Alien and Aliens.

One scene that did bother me was after showing a bloody chestburster in the sacrifice chamber, later when Italian guy is shot by Lex and the chestburster bursts out via Predator vision (PG-13 shot there) and then catches it, there is no blood on it. Just one of many nit picks.

Anyways, I'm still looking very much forward to this release.

The Clown Prince

Michael24

Staff member
Hmmm. I don't know what to believe then. In a transcript of an interview he did at a convention, he said the version released theaters was the version he cut and wanted the audiences to see, and that stories of an earlier R-rated were just Internet rumors.

Nin-Nin69

[CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
Well there is the whole thing about there being 5 Predators instead of 3. Yet there were a ton of things that really bothered me about the movie even if it was cut or not. Fox should've understood the reason why you should never take a R or NC-17 franchise and make it PG-13. Army of Darkness was the only acception to all of these bad adaptions. I know how smart and cunning the Aliens can be, but those Predators were some of the biggest wussies I've seen. They went down way too fast.

Plus this was one of the worst castings I've ever seen (outside of the actors in the costumes). Atleast there were people I gave a damn about in both Alien and Predator movies. It felt like yet another bad teen horror movie where I wished death upon everyone. Of course some of them had to add to the suspence, but once killed it was forgotten. Once that sterotypical italian guy with the watch dies, the temple stopped changing every 10 minutes.

Other than that it's still not as good as it can be thanks to both Fox and Paul W.S. "I can't create for plot for jack so I'll flash the Pepsi logo 20 times" Anderson.

The Clown Prince

Staff member
The Digital Bits posted about it Friday and one detail they had was that the running time of the new cut of the film will be 115 minutes versus the 90 minute theatrical version.

The 5 Predators were in the book version of the movie and included all the material that Anderson supposedly wanted to do, but couldn't. The number 5 was taken down to 3 primarily for budgetary reasons. But the human deaths were much gorier in the book, and the Alien/Predator fights were more action packed. It's not known at what stage in the constantly changing screenplay that the author got it and wrote the book from the material he had.

The Clown Prince

Spider-Man

For those who have read the books what is different between the novel and the movie?

I would like to think that there is a better movie somewhere for Aliens Versus Predator. I know it wouldn't be a great movie on par with the first two Alien movies (or even the first Predator) but it would be a fun movie nonetheless. I'd like to see a few more drawn out character scenes and just some more interaction among the crew. There are characters in the movie that aren't even properly introduced or named. I'd like to see that change.

I'm not a big fan of the director (he'll never be forgiven for the terrible Resident Evil movie franchise) but it did seem like there really were things he wanted to accomplish with this movies and it looks like some of it hit the cutting room floor. Plus I'd like to see some longer tussles between the Predators and the Aliens. I thought those went by way too fast.

Hades

Personally, I do not understand what some of you were expecting with this movie. The title said Alien vs Predator, and that is exactly what I got. A fight between the aliens and predators.

Movie-Brat

The Uncut AVP DVD sounds interesting, I'm getting it. Plus, I knew Fox was going to release an Uncut version of Alien vs. Predator on DVD but I thought it was just a lie.

Michael24

Staff member
Hades said:
Personally, I do not understand what some of you were expecting with this movie. The title said Alien vs Predator, and that is exactly what I got. A fight between the aliens and predators.
My thoughts exactly. I felt satisfied that I'd gotten my money's worth, and I had no complaints with the PG-13 rating. When you think about, ALIEN and ALIENS aren't very gory at all. They were R more for language than anything else.

The Clown Prince

Staff member
Hades said:
I mentioned before that I did really like the movie. And you are right, the title did say "Alien vs. Predator." That's what we got. :)

My complaint(s) comes from a story telling point of view. Many fans, me included really wanted to see an adaptation of the first AvP comic or something similar. But when you read the comic, and then try and translate that to film, from a budgetary stand point, the cost was just going to be HUGE. Easily over $200 million. Fox spent what ended up being about $70 to $75 million.

The concept of the pyramid being a joining of the three cultures of Egyptian, Cambodian, and Aztec, or Mayan was interesting. There is a great book that Anderson had referenced, and kind of used the idea from. Chariot of the Gods which goes into the idea that the ancient pyramids of the world come from or were influenced by some sort of extraterrestrial origin. 3 cultures, 3 separate continents. How were these pyramids so similar when none of these cultures had contact in the ancient world? The Egyptian pyramids too, at least some of them, line right up to within inches of stellar constellations.

Anyways, the general idea that Anderson had was good, but the movie was too short, and there just wasn't enough story telling, character development etc. I'll appreciate the longer cut, again for what it is, but I'm not expecting anything major to make this film any better. Again, it was what it was. A fun flick.

The Clown Prince

Michael24

Staff member
My dad has CHARIOTS OF THE GODS on the bookshelf. He's actually had it for years, but I had no idea that's what it was about. I'll have to read it sometime.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts