TMC1982

That Todd in the Shadows series that covers albums that either ended or significantly hurt careers.

Any you’d argue for?

The albums that Todd has covered thus far:
  • Jewel: 0304
  • Styx: Kilroy Was Here
  • Hammer: The Funky Headhunter
  • Van Halen: 3
  • Billy Idol: Cyberpunk
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival: Mardi Gras
  • Lauryn Hill: MTV Unplugged
  • Madonna: American Life

Zorak Masaki

Huey Lewis and the News: Small World. The lowest selling album of their career, and proof people didnt want a "serious" Huey.

AdrenalineRush1996

Mind Blowin by Vanilla Ice, which like MC Hammer's The Funky Headhunter, was a failed attempt for a pop rapper to go into a more edgier sound. Either that or his 1998 nu metal/rap metal attempt Hard to Swallow.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
One I've been wanting to see him do is Twisted Sister's Come Out and Play. Unlike a lot of other hair bands, this isn't a case of Nirvana Killed My Career, but rather a poorly performing follow up to their massively successful Stay Hungry.

I remember it being poorly written across the board, but it's really the opening single, "Be Cruel to Your School", that deserves mention. The personnel is crazy: Alice Cooper does back-up vocals! A Brian Setzer guitar solo! A Clarence Clemons sax solo! BILLY JOEL on keys! Yet it made no impact, and it's unlistenable.

AdrenalineRush1996

I've got another candidate – Paula by Robin Thicke as it was released following his separation from then-wife Paula Patton when he was accused of infidelity and the album flopped hard. By hard, it only sold less than 150 copies in Australia along with less than 600 copies in the UK and Canada.

Zorak Masaki

I've got another candidate – Paula by Robin Thicke as it was released following his separation from then-wife Paula Patton when he was accused of infidelity and the album flopped hard. By hard, it only sold less than 150 copies in Australia along with less than 600 copies in the UK and Canada.
He did cover that one, in fact it was his most recent episode:
(language):

AdrenalineRush1996

Cut the Crap by The Clash is another candidate for this since the album was a commercial disappointment and was affected by a troubled production in which the band was just Joe Strummer and three members who replaced Mick Jones and Topper Headon and while bassist Paul Simonon was still with the band, he did not take part in the album's recording.

Despite "This is England" being a top 40 hit in both the UK and Ireland, critics weren't kind to the album and even Strummer admitted he wasn't proud of it, hence why it resulted in the band to break up in 1986, not to mention that the album is largely ignored in retrospective albums from the band's discography.

Another case would be Genesis' Calling All Stations as after Phil Collins left to focus on his solo career, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks brought in Ray Wilson to replace him for their follow up to their 1991 album We Can't Dance.

While the album performed well in Europe, critics felt the album suffered from a lack of direction, though they agree that Wilson's presence was one of the best parts and it only scored one major hit, which was "Congo" along with performing poorly in North America. The performance of the album from there resulted in a planned North American leg of their tour scrapped. Following Wilson's departure, a brief reunion of the classic Gabriel-Collins-Rutherford-Banks-Hackett line-up for "The Carpet Crawlers 1999" and an acoustic performance at Music Managers Forum with Collins returning, they disbanded in 2000 before reuniting with a tour seven years later.

AdrenalineRush1996

Cut the Crap by The Clash is another candidate for this since the album was a commercial disappointment and was affected by a troubled production in which the band was just Joe Strummer and three members who replaced Mick Jones and Topper Headon and while bassist Paul Simonon was still with the band, he did not take part in the album's recording.

Despite "This is England" being a top 40 hit in both the UK and Ireland, critics weren't kind to the album and even Strummer admitted he wasn't proud of it, hence why it resulted in the band to break up in 1986, not to mention that the album is largely ignored in retrospective albums from the band's discography.
Well, what do you know? He covered the album twenty days after I did this comment.

zoombie

Is there a Prince album that fits this mood? I am a big Prince fan, but I know he did some bad stuff especially in the 90's, though some of it was intentionally bad to get out of his record label contract.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Is there a Prince album that fits this mood? I am a big Prince fan, but I know he did some bad stuff especially in the 90's, though some of it was intentionally bad to get out of his record label contract.
Not that I know of but I do know he stopped scoring hits after 1999 as his last main Top 40 hits in the US and UK in his lifetime was a reissue of "1999" and a reworking of the same song titled "1999: The New Master".

AdrenalineRush1996

Boyz II Men's 2000 album Nathan Michael Shawn Wanya would be a good candidate for this as it was their first album not to feature any Top 40 hit as they left Motown in 1999 due to creative disagreements.

While "Pass You By" was a minor hit internationally, the album and the follow up single flopped and they've never recovered from this since then, though they did have a brief resurgence in 2007 with their cover album Motown: A Journey Through Hitsville USA, as it was co-produced by Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell.

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

U2's Songs of Innocence. The infamous album that was auto-loaded onto every Itunes account, causing major backlash from almost every user (even those who liked U2). Dont remember it having any major hits either, probably due to the backlash.

AdrenalineRush1996

U2's Songs of Innocence. The infamous album that was auto-loaded onto every Itunes account, causing major backlash from almost every user (even those who liked U2). Don't remember it having any major hits either, probably due to the backlash.
I could see that album getting said treatment, though their follow up album Songs of Experience didn't do that badly in the charts, despite none of the singles being big hits and their most recent Top 40 hit was being the featured artist for Kendrick Lamar's song "XXX" two years ago.

TMC1982

I've heard the argument that Prince prior to his untimely death, really wasn't that culturally relevant anymore. And a lot of that lack of relevance was pretty much Prince's own doing. After his bout with Warner Bros. was over, Prince pretty much released his music like an indie act. Me often made low budget, somewhat incoherent music videos, release music exclusively through his website, and made sure that his discography was scrubbed off of iTunes, YouTube, and pretty much any streaming service.

Simply put, Prince you can say, did a lot of unconventional things that made it easy for millennial and beyond (let's say, people under the age of 27) to be completely unfamiliar with his music outside of maybe "1999" and "Purple Rain".

zoombie

I've heard the argument that Prince prior to his untimely death, really wasn't that culturally relevant anymore. And a lot of that lack of relevance was pretty much Prince's own doing. After his bout with Warner Bros. was over, Prince pretty much released his music like an indie act. Me often made low budget, somewhat incoherent music videos, release music exclusively through his website, and made sure that his discography was scrubbed off of iTunes, YouTube, and pretty much any streaming service.

Simply put, Prince you can say, did a lot of unconventional things that made it easy for millennial and beyond (let's say, people under the age of 27) to be completely unfamiliar with his music outside of maybe "1999" and "Purple Rain".

Well as soon as he died, WB put out a Prince YT page that has a lot of his songs and music videos that we can watch legally. I guess that is one bright spot about his tragic death.

AdrenalineRush1996

Well as soon as he died, WB put out a Prince YT page that has a lot of his songs and music videos that we can watch legally. I guess that is one bright spot about his tragic death.
Indeed and it also included music videos that were never shown in the US.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Another one I've thought of is Blondie's The Hunter. Right around the end of their popularity, they swapped out their jaded new wave sound for an awkward sounding concept album, which feels out of place compared to their classic material, and doesn't sound any more inspired today.

Granted, the band did return at the end of the 90's and had a big hit with "Maria", and they remain a successful touring act. But Styx also had some minor chart and plenty of touring success after Kilroy Was Here. The Hunter was so bad that the band split up for 15 years, missing out on reaping the benefits on helping to define the early MTV sound.

Zorak Masaki

Was just thinking about this, Men at Work's Two Hearts could work too. It was basically generic synth-pop without any of the quirkiness or humor of their previous albums, and ended their career as they had no albums after this.

Radiant97

Jewel Runner
Queen's Hot Space comes to mind. While they were still popular internationally after its release, it decimated whatever was left of their street cred in the US. They did score another hit from their next album (Radio GaGa, The Works), but then I Want to Break Free's music video happened. It's a shame because I really liked their subsequent albums. Innuendo in particular is criminally underrated.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Queen's Hot Space comes to mind. While they were still popular internationally after its release, it decimated whatever was left of their street cred in the US. They did score another hit from their next album (Radio GaGa, The Works), but then I Want to Break Free's music video happened. It's a shame because I really liked their subsequent albums. Innuendo in particular is criminally underrated.
I'm not sure if that would really qualify, as besides you mentioning Queen's continued international success, their turn at Live Aid was and still is widely beloved and popular. It's true that their later material isn't as instantly recognized as their 70's work, but Hot Space still doesn't seem like a right fit for the show. Especially since it's not that bad.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Shaving my beard, and singing "Disco Girl"
"Hey, when are we going to get more information about the upcoming Garfield stuff (Nickelodeon series, Alcon movie)?!"

Me:
Members such as @RegularCapital, @Francisque and @J10 may find this interesting: the LMBTQ propaganda song from Nick Jr's Azur series populates the prides. The screenshot is taken from the 18:00 CET M1 news.

And this is the news report in video.
My prologue to the Hungary VS France Euro 2020 match (which starts tomorrow): went to the Heroes' Square today. #Euro2020
Happy 3rd Anniversary, Big City Greens

Featured Posts