Adult Swim Jr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Black Clover definitely is the type of thing that should be on Adult Swim Jr. It's not for 18-34-year-olds.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Personally I think Adult Swim Jr. is just a working title, I think the plan is to appeal to young teenagers who think they're too old for CN's usual programming but not quite old enough for Adult Swim, hence filling in a gap in Turner's Kids/Young Adults demographics, Nick on the other hand doesn't seem to have a problem grabbing teen audiences. CN might expand its hours a little bit and this may mark a return to edgy shows with mature themes.

SpaceCowboy

It wouldn't be too out of place if they made a portion of Toonami a teen-oriented block, since a fair amount of the shows are based on shounen properties in Japan. However, they would probably have to separate Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell which skew older.

Last edited:

M622

1:14:20 pizza party podcast believes it’s an April fools joke, but I haven’t assumed they know about the animation guild blog trademarks so..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaneMan

Part of me tells me this has something to do with the rumors of Infinity Train and Victor & Valentino being picked-up by adult swim

Another part of me thinks it is just a prank that just so happens to correlate with a bunch of fake rumors, with no real connection between them
especially since I can't see Tigglewinks being picked-up

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
For a joke bump from September, this possible prank has really caused a long buzz. When will we realize it's a prank or Adult Swim will reveal what Adult Swim Jr. really is if it isn't a prank.

coolkevin54

For a joke bump from September, this possible prank has really caused a long buzz. When will we realize it's a prank or Adult Swim will reveal what Adult Swim Jr. really is if it isn't a prank.

In all seriousness, and if I had to place a bet, it is probably a joke. But I think that part of the reason there is so much buzz is because we recognize how needed "Adult Swim Jr." is right now. Cartoon Network is very much more for children, showing stuff like TTG, and Adult Swim is more of the crazy "adult" type content, like ATHF or Squidbillies. Yet, there is no place for anything in the middle that has a plot and older themes, like Steven Universe. Shows like this don't see reruns that much, don't get a designated time slot, and often don't get as promoted. If you really think about it, as good as Infinity Train is, for example, it just doesn't fit CN that well right now. But a "teen" block would be a great home for these, that is something that is really clear. We all recognize that this could be an amazing venture for CN and I think that is part of the reason we really want this to be a thing.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Is it strange that the creation of a "teen block" is being managed by the Adult Swim side of the channel, instead of by the Cartoon Network side?

Just shows how much creativity the CN side has ceded - they must be truly content with Teen Titans Go all the time.

EDIT: I've argued in the past that action/teen shows should air from 8 pm to 11 pm (or till midnight). That's when they used to air premieres of action shows, in years past. The problem is, Cartoon Network ran out of action shows worth airing. If Adult Swim can help fill the void, so be it.

coolkevin54

Is it strange that the creation of a "teen block" is being managed by the Adult Swim side of the channel, instead of by the Cartoon Network side?

Just shows how much creativity the CN side has ceded - they must be truly content with Teen Titans Go all the time.

EDIT: I've argued in the past that action/teen shows should air from 8 pm to 11 pm (or till midnight). That's when they used to air premieres of action shows, in years past. The problem is, Cartoon Network ran out of action shows worth airing. If Adult Swim can help fill the void, so be it.

I think it is just obvious that Adult Swim and its heads have always been the most creative people they have on the network. Like they even did stuff for Toonami in the past, do Toonami now, and did Miguzi as well. So if Cartoon Network wanted to try something experimental, I think they would be crazy not to ask Adult Swim people to do it. With that said, you may be right that CN proper doesn't necessarily want to or care to do it themselves. I would say that 8-10 is probably the ideal time though, as that would give AS some good time as well (their best hours I believe are 10-12). So more people would tune in for that block that isn't as big right now, but is still a time that is big for TV in general, but then AS fans can tune in to the dominant usually hours.

ToonFridge

I can see them airing things like the new JG Quintell show "Close Enough" on here. Who knows, maybe Adult Swim Jr will be a one night per week kind of thing? With the entire night of programming being adult swim jr.

Zorak Masaki

Isnt Close Enough a TVMA show (at least, thats the indication I got from the trailer)? Dont think that this would be the block for shows with that rating.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Isnt Close Enough a TVMA show (at least, thats the indication I got from the trailer)? Dont think that this would be the block for shows with that rating.
You're most likely right, my friend. When I saw the trailer for that show, there were S-bombs dropped in some of the scenes. Only an MA-rated show can let you say the word "s**t" on TV.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
You're most likely right, my friend. When I saw the trailer for that show, there were S-bombs dropped in some of the scenes. Only an MA-rated show can let you say the word "s**t" on TV.

I've seen TV-14 episodes of Rick and Morty drop s-bombs, albeit inconsistently bleeped by Adult Swim's bizarre Standards and Practices.

jaylop97

Staff member
Yeah Adult Swim's editing needs some improvement because at times those off beat bleeps do kind of mess up the flow of some shows that use those swears.

Very Real Satan

If it was a joke, I'm sure [AS] would have said something by now, and the fact that the bump doesn't follow the usual throwaway joke about a fake feature coming never, and instead ends with a message about more details instead is suspicious as it's something that they didn't do in a previous one of the same nature (The name escapes me, but I think it had something to do with babies/toddlers?And if they admit to that being a joke, why not this?).

Last edited:

M622

If it was a joke, I'm sure [AS] would have said something by now, and the fact that the bump doesn't follow the usual throwaway joke about a fake feature coming never, and instead ends with a message about more details instead is suspicious as it's something that they didn't do in a previous one of the same nature (The name escapes me, but I think it had something to do with babies/toddlers?And if they admit to that being a joke, why not this?).

I agree. There’s something fishy about this... if it’s announced to not be in March/April, I guarantee it to be real. I expect news around January at the least....

VinceHimself

As funny as this seems, this bumper went mysteriously outside the normal boundaries of Adult Swim's satirical on-screen messages. Had they named a bunch of spoof "juniorized" names of popular cartoons like Aqua Baby Hunger Force or Squidbabies for example, I personally could shrug it off as them just joking. This bumper however went straight to "coming spring 2018." It seemed more serious than most of their joke bumpers. I have a feeling this is very real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts