Adult Swim International News Thread

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
The Canadian Adult Swim app Turner ran is dead. It was delisted from Google Play and iTunes earlier this month.

The linear block is still a zombie.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Turner signs Adult Swim deal with UK national broadcaster Channel 4, brand new episodes of Rick and Morty will air on Channel 4, older seasons will air on E4 and a large catalogue of Adult Swim shows will be available on Channel 4's All4 VOD service. All4 will have 300 episodes from launch with hundreds more to come over the next three years.

Adult Swim shows in the UK have previously aired on CNX, Bravo, FX, TCM2, FOX, TruTV, Comedy Central and now Channel 4 and E4. Excluding Netflix of course.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
And, ironically enough, not on Cartoon Network. Possibly due to EU laws forbidding such content from airing on kids channels.

Here we got like three [as] shows on MOV, itself a defunct channel. We never got Rick and Morty until recently when it became available on Netflix.

Francisque

The US and EMEA are too different markets, simply

But it's also true that such a thing would hardly happen on UK-licenced stations

CN/Adult Swim could hardly broadcast on the same EPG channel in the UK and would have to be treated as two completely different channels, and not just in the UK,. They would have to be split in two different LCNs, also because tthe three Sky's in Europe have genre-based EPG, unlike what happens in the US

RegularCapital

Staff member
The US and EMEA are too different markets, simply

But it's also true that such a thing would hardly happen on UK-licenced stations

CN/Adult Swim could hardly broadcast on the same EPG channel in the UK and would have to be treated as two completely different channels, and not just in the UK,. They would have to be split in two different LCNs, also because tthe three Sky's in Europe have genre-based EPG, unlike what happens in the US

Turner did a similar arrangement before with Cartoonito and TCM2, using the same multiplex/transponder capacity but with different LCN's (Logical Channel Numbers), also to point out Adult Swim aired on TCM2 during the time when both channels timeshared. Such an arrangement would be legal as CBBC and BBC Three also used the same approach (so does CBeebies and BBC Four to this day, but the content on BBC Four is relatively tame compared to BBC Three). Channels are classed by how they are perceived by the viewer and not from a technical standpoint (except for LCN splitting of course).

I can't see CN doing this for one (and possibly two reasons if CN is serious about their history), first, CN needs the night schedule to fulfill the Euro quota, luckily they don't have to worry about it that lately much thanks to Gumball airing quite frequently (even after a no-deal Brexit, UK productions are still classed as European), and possibly second, CN's 24/7 forever guarantee which was made in 1996.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Even CN PT has dropped the quota yet airing shows like these would justify Turner investing more by expanding its array of channels, yet in secondary European markets they seem to favor CN and Boomerang.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The linear block is still a zombie.
And now it looks like they’re getting rid the linear Adult Swim Canada, too. Putting the images behind a spoiler tag so they don’t flood the page.
SiGn3f3.png

lCbZxOm.png

BR6k5Ss.png

8tLZPRM.png

RICJtuJ.png

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Initially [adult swim] Canada had a similar running time to its US counterpart but was later reduced in a way like The Detour on Teletoon. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Detour being discontinued as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts