Adult Swim International News Thread

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Well, here we go. Today, Adult Swim launched on TBS Latin America after being being off the foreign airwaves for years. In celebration, I am launching the International News Thread on the Adult Swim/Toonami Forums. Thanks to @Mariana for pointing out the [as] LA launch today.

Here was the launch promo in Brazil:
[video=youtube;JOWnzDFuuW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOWnzDFuuW4[/video]

EDIT: I realized that the thread title is mispelled as "Adult Swin". Let's fix that as the thread gains momentum.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Here's the history of Adult Swim in the Netherlands and Flanders:
The Flemish broadcaster Acht (Dutch for ‘Eight’) launched an Adult Swim block in late 2010.

TNT Benelux launched in Flanders on April 10th 2012. It contained an Adult Swim block, so Acht cancelled their block. (even though TNT was a pay channel and Acht wasn’t)
TNT Benelux launched in the Netherlands on January 24th 2013.

TNT Benelux closed down on December 31st 2013, so Adult Swim is completely gone over here.
All Adult Swim shows aired in English with Dutch subtitles.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast has aired on Cartoon Network. (also in English with subtitles) They haven't aired every episode over here.

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
@Red Arrow :D, what has become of [adult swim] internationally may beg the question: will this venture on TBS LA be successful? Adult Swim arrived in Latin America as Cartoon Network LA's late night block in 2005, and was pulled off shortly after. Perhaps there was a demand for its comeback, but will that really work well to Turner LA's advantage? We shall see.

Now if Mr. Pickles gets on there, [as] LA will probably be doomed.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Well, Mariana has said in CN's international news thread that the new Adult Swim block will only contain reruns from 2005 :/

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
In Portugal, Adult Swim shows aired on MOV in 2013, starting with Robot Chicken: first the Star Wars episodes, then the normal ones. NTSD:SF:SUV premiered towards the summer of that year.
Both shows were subtitled.

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Well, Mariana has said in CN's international news thread that the new Adult Swim block will only contain reruns from 2005 :/
I think they're pulling a "Boomerang" in this case. That means Turner LA is likely confining the block to reruns, and if successful, may test the addition of contemporary material. After the failure of [adult swim] on Cartoon Network LA, Turner cannot be too sure about its key demographics.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
The Russian channel 2X2 is currently airing the following AS shows:
-Aqua Teen Hunger Force
-Metalopocalypse
Both shows fall under the "ТРЕШ" (TRASH) category on the channel's website.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Adult Swim doesn't officially start next week, but they aired some bumpers last week as a "sneak peek".

45fb7ece5eb2a48e133a67297705b83d.jpg

0bfcc70cb025cf9d18b40c599d56080f.jpg

11916e9adf714edf6695c4da52136844.jpg

Here's a screenshot featuring the Adult Swim DOG, and a Twitter hashtag during the intro to Rick and Morty.

a0f3a559686f0e93ae0a50dc148aaae2.jpg

BlooMac

Nice bumpers! Unlike the Adult Swim block on TCM 2, they actually branded it.

Aside from Family Guy, Futurama and American Dad airing on FOX, no Adult Swim shows have ever aired in Bulgaria. Well, at least AdultSwim.com has a lot of free episodes that aren't geoblocked. But it would be cool, if our FOX also had an Adult Swim block or bTV Comedy, which is owned by Time Warner.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Adult Swim made a deal with Spotify for UK, Germany and Sweden, Spotify also made a global deal with Turner for their non-AS content but only mentioned these countries for Adult Swim. It would be cool if it aired on either a TimeWarner channel or FOX around Europe.

Italy has a FOX Animation channel, they could put the animated Adult Swim shows on there.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
This is slightly off-topic, but:

Today I watched a recording of last night's episode of The Simpsons (they are airing season 24), namely "The Amazing Faker Boy" (correct me wrong). The couch gag was done in a Robot Chicken style, by the end when the Robot Chicken logo appeared, the RTP subtitles called it "Galinha Robô", yet MOV called it by the original name.

Strange, isn't it?

alfa_alfa

Like 'GMIKI96' said, the Central & Eastern Europe region didn't get [adult swim].

However, some shows (the animés) did run on Animax and AXN Sci-Fi (on this channel, not all of them, if I'm not wrong) in this region (Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria*):

- "The Boondocks";
- "Bleach" (ep. 1-167);
- "Blood+";
- "Blue Gender";
- "Detective Conan" (ep. 1-52);
- "Cowboy Bebop";
- "Death Note";
- "Fullmetal Alchemist";
- "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood";
- "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex";
- "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG";
- "InuYasha" (ep. 53-104);
- "Naruto";
- "Samurai 7" (only on AXN Sci-Fi Central Europe);
- "Soul Eater";
- "Trigun";
- "Trinity Blood";
- "YuYu Hakusho".

"Dragon Ball Kai Z" ran on AXN SPiN in Romania and Poland (Probably on Animax România too, but I can't remember), "The Office" is on BBC Entertainment Europe (or at least, it was; I remember that TVR 2 broadcasted it too), "Futurama" was aired by Universal Channel Polska & România and Sci Fi Universal Polska & România, and "Samurai Jack", "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", "Sym-Bionic Titan" and "ThunderCats" were broadcasted by Cartoon Network in Romania, Hungary and Poland.

"Robot Chicken" was aired in Poland on AXN SPiN Polska in HD, but I've never seen it on AXN SPiN România.

*Bulgaria never had Animax, only AXN Sci-Fi Central Europe with subtitles in Bulgarian.

GMIKI96

I quit
Like 'GMIKI96' said, the Central & Eastern Europe region didn't get [adult swim].

However, some shows (the animés) did run on Animax and AXN Sci-Fi (on this channel, not all of them, if I'm not wrong) in this region (Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria*):

- "The Boondocks";
- "Bleach" (ep. 1-167);
- "Blood+";
- "Blue Gender";
- "Detective Conan" (ep. 1-52);
- "Cowboy Bebop";
- "Death Note";
- "Fullmetal Alchemist";
- "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood";
- "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex";
- "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG";
- "InuYasha" (ep. 53-104);
- "Naruto";
- "Samurai 7" (only on AXN Sci-Fi Central Europe);
- "Soul Eater";
- "Trigun";
- "Trinity Blood";
- "YuYu Hakusho".

"Dragon Ball Kai Z" ran on AXN SPiN in Romania and Poland (Probably on Animax România too, but I can't remember), "The Office" is on BBC Entertainment Europe (or at least, it was; I remember that TVR 2 broadcasted it too), "Futurama" was aired by Universal Channel Polska & România and Sci Fi Universal Polska & România, and "Samurai Jack", "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", "Sym-Bionic Titan" and "ThunderCats" were broadcasted by Cartoon Network in Romania, Hungary and Poland.

"Robot Chicken" was aired in Poland on AXN SPiN Polska in HD, but I've never seen it on AXN SPiN România.

*Bulgaria never had Animax, only AXN Sci-Fi Central Europe with subtitles in Bulgarian.
I'd like to see Robot Chicken on TV, CC could easily air it, though the dub would probably suck :D Also, I can watch Robot Chicken anytime :D (Adult Swim UK's old YT channel has episodes, I didn't mean illegally, no no :D)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
What I find kind of ironic is that Family Guy has pulled some references to Robot Chicken even though it never aired in several parts of the world. And a season 8 episode got around to parody an [as] bumper right down to the style (FOX subtitles called it "Adults Swim", like misspelling Nick@Nite as "Nick at Night").

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts