ACME Night News & Discussion Thread

CNC

So there seems to be a pattern every week. The previous ACME Night movie repeats the next day at 5pm (ex: The LEGO Movie 2) followed by a random movie at 7p. (ex: Smallfoot)

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Alrighty, after the premiere of The Minions, the Harry Potter Quiz Show, Harry Potter Hogwarts Tournament of Houses is now premiering on Cartoon Network(and simultaneously with TBS).

Plus, there is a special CN "Special" Holiday logo bug.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I see a promo that starting next Sunday, Cartoon Network will be showing a sneek peek of the HBO Max's Harry Potter reunion special (in January 2022), during the second night of Hogwarts Tournament of Houses.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Sorry for the triple post, but next Sunday, ACME Night will be premiering TMNT 1990 and the second night of Hogwarts Tournament of Houses.

As someone who wasn't a Harry Potter aficionado (I saw the first one as a kid, and that's about it), I really do enjoy Hogwarts Tournament of Houses and guessing the questions was a lot of fun (hey, I don't know anything about the franchise, don't judge me).

Last edited:

Tommypezmaster

Who else thinks it's time CN should start airing Gkids movies such as The Tale of Princess Kagura, When Marine Was There, Lu Over The Wall, Okko's Inn and Lupin The Third: The First?

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Who else thinks it's time CN should start airing Gkids movies such as The Tale of Princess Kagura, When Marine Was There, Lu Over The Wall, Okko's Inn and Lupin The Third: The First?
Hmm, I don't know about that. I hate to be a generalizer (if that's even a word), but I don't think CN will be that interested picking those up since 1) the general consensus never heard of those movies, 2) those movies you listed feel something Toonami would aired on Adult Swim, and 3) CN is more interested in picking up movies that had a lot of brand recognition like Ninja Turtles and Spiderman. Those are the ones that kids and families are more familiar with. As opposed to something like Lupin the Third or Princess Kagura, they geard towards a very very niche demographic.

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

Definitely not the last one! Lupin III is seinen territory, and since Adult Swim has aired three incarnations of the franchise already, that movie would be more fitting on Toonami.

As for the others, that would depend on how interested CN would be airing anime on ACME Night, since they stopped airing anime everywhere else on the network. If not, then just put those on Toonami.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Lupin III: The First is tamer than most of the movies that have aired on ACME Night so far. Cartoon Network just doesn't care about broadcasting anime and would rather make this a dumping ground for PG kids' animated films and PG-13 "family" films. (I would argue The Castle of Cagliostro would be a great family movie, but herp a derp your average eleven-year-old and mainstream-cultured family wouldn't know who these people are!)

The other films Tommypezmaster listed are all PG and younger-skewing, making it very unlikely Toonami would air them either.

The goal of ACME Night right now is clearly just to bring people in with popular movies, the same way that almost every cable network is holding on to dear life with them. Maybe a year or so from now we'll have more diversity in programming.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Lupin III: The First is tamer than most of the movies that have aired on ACME Night so far. Cartoon Network just doesn't care about broadcasting anime and would rather make this a dumping ground for PG kids' animated films and PG-13 "family" films. (I would argue The Castle of Cagliostro would be a great family movie, but herp a derp your average eleven-year-old and mainstream-cultured family wouldn't know who these people are!)

The other films Tommypezmaster listed are all PG and younger-skewing, making it very unlikely Toonami would air them either.

The goal of ACME Night right now is clearly just to bring people in with popular movies, the same way that almost every cable network is holding on to dear life with them. Maybe a year or so from now we'll have more diversity in programming.

Non-toyetic anime on CN is still basically a no-go. That being said, they could potentially air stuff like the Studio Ghibi movies(which they did air back in the 2000s when the movies used to be distributed by Disney) or maybe some high-profile anime movie like Your Name or Weathering With You. I'm not holding my breath though.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Non-toyetic anime on CN is still basically a no-go.

I thought about mentioning this earlier; it's not so much that CN doesn't care about anime, it's more that they're not interested in anime that aren't designed to sell toys. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the Pokemon movies turn up on ACME Night if CN could get access to them. We already got Detective Pikachu.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Here's December's Lineup. Sorry to those who wanted the Batman and Steve Urkel Christmas movies to premiere this year
Oh, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride? That's interesting (and new to me). I'll check it out.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts