JordanPowers3000

Gorillaz, the British virtual band created by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett, are releasing another new album this year. Hewlett is once again uploading snippets of art on Instagram, and The Powerpuff Girls villain Ace from The Gang Green Gang is apparently being added to their lineup. According to the lore, their bassist Murdoc Niccals is now in prison again, so it seems he will be replacing Murdoc as their new bassist while he is detained.

Here is a picture of Ace and their guitarist Noodle at The Kentucky Derby:
31163040_174714783194256_3504488044164022272_n.jpg

Here is the most recent preview (posted only an hour before I made this thread):
31229371_1671753399568692_7549628431269363712_n.jpg

Last edited:

Insomnia

Kinda hope the rest of the gangreen gang shows up. Also I have to wonder if maybe this is jamie hewlett hinting that maybe Craig is involved the gorillaz tv series, when ever that comes out?

jaylop97

Staff member
It would be really interesting if a PPG episode spoofed this with Ace not being around with the GGG due to him being with Gorillaz.

GustlyWind

Well this is quite interesting. I like how Ace looks like in the Gorillaz artstyle!

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
At least they didn't recruit Blisstina.

Corwin Haught

Ah, sorry for that slip up! I meant to say that they're signed to Warner Bros. Records. So, that's how they were able to get the license for that character, by both being properties owned by Warner Bros.

You're still wrong as Warner Music Group only licenses the Warner Bros. trademark and Cartoon Network has a separate licensing operation from WB anyway.

JordanPowers3000

You're still wrong as Warner Music Group only licenses the Warner Bros. trademark and Cartoon Network has a separate licensing operation from WB anyway.

Oh, ok ok! My bad for that one as well! Apologies! However it happened, they still definitely have been granted permission to use the character, otherwise they just wouldn't have been able to do this for legal reasons. Gorillaz are a fairly well-known band, and to use an old cartoon character from one of the most popular animated shows of the 90's/early 2000s, they'd have no choice but to get permission. So, of course they did!

(Not to mention, Gorillaz and The Powerpuff Girls used to reference each other quite a bit when Gorillaz' debut album and The Powerpuff Girls Movie were released 17-18 years ago. Also, one of the people in charge of the new show, Bob Boyle, liked Gorillaz on Facebook a few months ago, so the crew have more than likely given them the OK to do this.)

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Wait that was actually Ace, I thought that was some sort of expy of Ace

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

JordanPowers3000

Ace is now appearing in the band's promotional material in place of where Murdoc usually is.

As you can see, Ace looks a lot older, probably in reference to the fact that he's a retired cartoon character that hasn't made any significant appearances in anything in over 15 years, so they aged him up. Makes sense since Gorillaz are depicted as aging in real time.

So, it's official now. Ace is their new bass player while Murdoc is in jail!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts