[ABC Kids] 2005-06 schedule announced

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
They had the upfront today. In short:

ADDED: "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" (E/I), "The Buzz on Maggie" (E/I), "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!"

GONE: "Fillmore"/"Even Stevens", "Lizzie McGuire" (finally), "W.I.T.C.H."

Here's the entirety of the ABC Kids release:

------------

THREE SERIES -- "THE SUITE LIFE OF ZACK & CODY," "THE BUZZ ON MAGGIE" AND "SUPER ROBOT MONKEY TEAM HYPERFORCE GO!" JOIN ABC-TV'S SATURDAY MORNING LINE-UP THIS FALL

BURBANK and NEW YORK, March 1, 2005 . . . Three new series - the ensemble comedy "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" introducing the newest generation of kid and tween superstars and produced by hit makers Danny Kallis ("Smart Guy") and Irene Dreayer ("Sister, Sister," "Smart Guy"); the breakout Jetix action/adventure series "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!" from creator/producer Ciro Nieli ("Mucha Lucha," "Teen Titans") and Walt Disney Television Animation and the new animated series "The Buzz on Maggie" from feature film producer Dave Polsky ("Scary Movie 2") and sitcom executive Laura Perkins Brittan ("That's So Raven") for Walt Disney Television Animation, will join ABC Kids, the Saturday morning childrens' programming block on the ABC Television Network, in Fall 2005.

The announcement was made today by Rich Ross, President, Disney Channel Worldwide, during ABC Kids Networks presentations to advertisers on a multiplex of kids programming platforms: ABC Kids on broadcast TV (ABC-TV), and ABC Family, Toon Disney and Disney Channel on cable television.

Ross said, "ABC Kids Saturday morning programming already reaches the richest concentration of girls age 2-11 .....

(Steve note: Then why scrap WITCH?)

..... and with the addition of a live-action series with a winning cast, and a stand-out animated comedy and our emerging hit action/adventure Jetix property, all which will have high appeal to both girls and boys, we are confident that the showcase of great kids TV on the ABC Kids line-up will continue to strengthen our position in the marketplace."

ABC Kids reaches 1.7 million Kids age 2-11, exclusive to ABC Kids and reachable on no other broadcast kids platform, and is the #1 place on broadcast TV to reach the richest concentration of the highly coveted demographic, Girls 2-14. For the 2003/04 season, ABC Kids ranked #2 with Kids 2-11 and Kids 6-11 and draws 40% of its audience from the 18% of homes throughout the U.S. homes that don't subscribe to cable TV (Source: Nielsen Media Research, NPOWER).

The live-action comedy series "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" and the animated comedy "The Buzz on Maggie" are scheduled to premiere in March and June, respectively, on Disney Channel. The comedic sci-fi anime adventure, "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!" is part of the Jetix action/adventure programming block on ABC Family and Toon Disney.

Premiere dates for the ABC Kids' 2005-06 season line-up will be announced at a later date. The ABC Kids Saturday schedule is as follows:

9:00 a.m., ET/8:00 a.m., PT "Disney's Lilo & Stitch" (returning series, animated)
9:30 a.m., ET/8:30 a.m., PT "The Buzz on Maggie" (new series, animated)
10:00 a.m., ET/9:00 a.m., PT "The Proud Family" (animated, returning series)
10:30 a.m., ET/9:30 a.m., PT "That's So Raven" (returning series)
11:00 a.m., ET/10:00 a.m., PT "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" (new series)
11:30 a.m., ET/10:30 a.m., PT "Phil of the Future" (returning series)
12:00 noon, ET/11:00 a.m., PT "Power Rangers SPD" (returning series)
12:30 p.m., ET/11:30 a.m., PT "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!" (new series, animated)

All series carry a TV-G parental guideline and six of the series have an Educational/Informational (E/I) designation. Descriptions of the series follow:

(I'll just post the new shows)

"Disney's The Buzz on Maggie" (9:30 a.m., ET/8:30 a.m., PT), a new series, introduces kids to spunky Maggie the original 'fly girl' (who in fact is a fly) living in a conventional fly world. Looking for a way to make her mark, she encourages self-expression and individuality with her inspired antics. The voice cast is: Jessica DiCicco ("Bratz") as Maggie, David Kaufman ("Stuart Little") as older brother Aldrin, Thom Adcox ("American Dragon: Jake Long") as younger brother Pupert, Cree Summer ("The Proud Family") as best friend Rayna and Tara Strong ("The Proud Family") as Aldrin's girlfriend Dawn. Dave Polsky ("Scary Movie 2") is the executive producer and Laura Perkins Brittain (Disney Channel's "That's So Raven") is the co-executive producer. The director is executive producer Dave Wasson ("The Ugly Duck-Thing"). "Disney's The Buzz on Maggie" is produced by Walt Disney Television Animation. It carries an E/I designation.

"The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" (11:00 a.m., ET/10:00 a.m., PT) starring identical twins Dylan and Cole Sprouse ("Big Daddy," "Friends"), Ashley Tisdale and Brenda Song (Disney Channel's "Phil of the Future" and "Stuck in the Suburbs"), is a situation comedy that tracks the antics of twin 12-year-old boys, Zack and Cody, whose single mom Carey (Kim Rhodes) gets a job as headlining singer at an upscale hotel in Boston and as part of her contract, an upper floor suite where they all live now. The hotel comes complete with room service, a swimming pool, game room, candy counter and many new friends for the twins to get to know including Maddie, the candy counter clerk and frequent babysitter, as well as London, the hotel owner's spoiled daughter. To the chagrin of the hotel manager, Mr. Moseby (Phill Lewis), the twins turn the hotel into their playground, and the staff and guests into unwitting participants in the outrageous situations they manage to create. Estelle Harris ("Seinfeld") has a recurring role as irascible housekeeper, Muriel. Danny Kallis ("Smart Guy," "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper") and Jim Geoghan ("Family Matters") created "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody." Kallis and Irene Dreayer ("Sister, Sister," "Smart Guy") serve as executive producers. Geoghan and Pam Eells are co-executive producers. The series is a production from It's a Laugh Productions in association with Disney Channel. It premieres on Disney Channel in March. The series carries an E/I designation.

------------

Discuss. I still can't get over the removal of WITCH with all the chest-pounding about how well ABC Kids does with the girl demographics. Probably comes back to the affiliate pre-emption issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donald Duck 12

Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!
Well...

Lilo and Stitch vs. Lilo and Stitch
Proud Family vs. Buzz on Maggie
Even Stevens vs. Proud Family
That's So Raven vs. That's So Raven
Phil of the Future vs. Zack and Cody
Lizzie McGuire vs. Phil of the Future
WITCH vs. SPD
SPD vs. Super Robot

Looks better! Looks like Jake isn't E/I after all. But still little effort. Ya'll know where I'm going with this so...

Zach Williams

heh, I guess Even Stevens was a REAL Good filler, shoulda just kept Fillmore! on for that much longer.

BAD NEWS: Fillmore! Gone
W.I.T.C.H. Gone
The Buzz on Magie Comes
SRMTHFG! Gets the crappy slot
Lilo & Stich is still here
And while I wish it would go away, Lizzie McGuire leaving ABC Kids means for time slots on Disney Channel, which is bad.

GOOD NEWS: SRMTHFG! Comes
The Suite Life Comes
Even Stevens is gone
Lizzie McGuire is gone, which is also bad as I said.

Decent schedule, but still upset about some things.:sweat:

Tintin

SteveR said:
9:00 a.m., ET/8:00 a.m., PT "Disney's Lilo & Stitch" (returning series, animated)
9:30 a.m., ET/8:30 a.m., PT "The Buzz on Maggie" (new series, animated)
10:00 a.m., ET/9:00 a.m., PT "The Proud Family" (animated, returning series)
10:30 a.m., ET/9:30 a.m., PT "That's So Raven" (returning series)
11:00 a.m., ET/10:00 a.m., PT "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" (new series)
11:30 a.m., ET/10:30 a.m., PT "Phil of the Future" (returning series)
12:00 noon, ET/11:00 a.m., PT "Power Rangers SPD" (returning series)
12:30 p.m., ET/11:30 a.m., PT "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!" (new series, animated)
Wow!! That's a big chance. But why air again Power Rangers?

Why cancelled Kim Possible on ABC Kids? :(

tucsoncoyote

Time to get my "Game face" on
Tintin said:
Wow!! That's a big chance. But why air again Power Rangers?

Why cancelled Kim Possible on ABC Kids? :(
Well from the looks of the schedule it's not different then it is now..Just adding in another animated and removing "Two Moldie Oldies (but I have to question.. and this defintiely goes against what I suggested.. (Why Remove Witch from this Line up? After all SRMTHG isn't EI and they put it in a death slot..(More fun with Affiliates and non Affiliates..)

As for the KP Issue well if they are thinking logically and they aren't she would have been shoved onto Jetix and into a slot right next to witch..(But instead it looks Like KP Ends up just on Toon Disney Non-Jetix..)

but man they are losing my confidence here.. and fast..

:coyote:

sag_2002

Not really depressed W.I.T.C.H. is leaving ABC Kids. I've got ABC Family and Toon Disney, and as long as they don't take it off the schedule, I'll be happy.

Burgundy Ranger

sag_2002 said:
Not really depressed W.I.T.C.H. is leaving ABC Kids. I've got ABC Family and Toon Disney, and as long as they don't take it off the schedule, I'll be happy.
Same for me. With the exception of 4Kids TV (Fox) and part of Kids WB's lineup, cable is clearly the lead dog in this race now.

There will be a second second of both WITCH (26 eps) and SRMTHG (13 eps) coming to ABCFam/Toon Disney.

I wouldn't be surprised if ABC Kids aired Season 1 of SRMT while Jetix showed Season 2.

There's a reason the non-E/I shows are put in the death slots -- because they're non-E/I and 45% of the nation's viewers have their affiliates mess with the schedule in one form or another. So if PR or SRMT or WITCH or KP or whatever gets pre-empted, it's no skin off the back of ABC Kids or the affiliates.

tucsoncoyote

Riding on the Bare Minimum of E/I... and what if..

SteveR said:
Same for me. With the exception of 4Kids TV (Fox) and part of Kids WB's lineup, cable is clearly the lead dog in this race now.

There will be a second second of both WITCH (26 eps) and SRMTHG (13 eps) coming to ABCFam/Toon Disney.

I wouldn't be surprised if ABC Kids aired Season 1 of SRMT while Jetix showed Season 2.

There's a reason the non-E/I shows are put in the death slots -- because they're non-E/I and 45% of the nation's viewers have their affiliates mess with the schedule in one form or another. So if PR or SRMT or WITCH or KP or whatever gets pre-empted, it's no skin off the back of ABC Kids or the affiliates.
That's true Steve, but then again how many families can afford Cable Nowadays..(Either that or that Cable TV is very prevalent .. but still when you think about this what ABC Kids might want to do at this point is to Disband, since the comment of "Cable Being Top Dog," really makes me wonder how long it will before folks will wise up to all of this and buy cable..either that or Cable Prices are going to have to come down in a hurry..

The Interesting fact is that you state that 45% of the Affilitates of ABC usually mess with the schedules and usually pre-empt that last hour.. (which really means that in a 4 hour period ABC kids is getting by with just the BARE minimum here..

but what would happen if Suddenly ABC Kids found themselves in a pickle where they would end up 1 to 2 shows short of that Minimal Quota.. what then?

Your Thoughts?

loyalheart

It's Not TV. It's Cliche
Zach, like i said in another topic, they just put 'Even Stevens' back on ABCkids for the dvd in June... So for only dvd promotion and until it reaches ABCfamily, Why else would it stay? [lizzie could also go to abcfamily later on]

but, They need to really keep WITCH on, Hopefully THAT changes later on.

Freedom Fighter

Three new shows come in, two returning shows move to new times, and a third returning show returning to the time slot it just moved from this past weekend. If anything, that's the most turnover ABC Kids has had since dumping One Saturday Morning in '02.

I'm still miffed that ABC and CBS borrow from their cable partners (Disney Channel/ABC Family for ABC, Nickelodeon/Nick Jr. for CBS) in order to program a schedule in which not one single show between them is first-run. But like SteveR continually says... the only reason those two networks (and NBC, which although does borrow from Discovery Channel, they actually air a few first-runners) still have Sat. AM schedules is to fulfill the 3-hour E/I requirement.

I actually called 'Buzz on Maggie' and 'Zack & Cody,' but didn't see 'Monkey Team' coming. I agree that removing 'WITCH' might be a mistake, but considering it's the highest-rated show on ABC Family/Jetix, they may be trying to hog that series and hopes airing it exclusively will not only boost that show's ratings, but, in a domino effect, the shows airing around it. (Besides, it's obvious ABC Family wants to get themselves out of 9th (last) place in the Sat. AM race, and this could be a stepping stone.) At the same time, bringing 'Monkey Team' in might draw ratings to that show as well, 'specially since it'll follow 'Power Rangers' like it does on ABC Family. Provided you've got an affiliate who carries the non-E/I hour, of course.

Then again, maybe ABC is trying to prove that you don't have to have first-run premieres to have a successful Sat. AM line-up. Yes, they're 2nd among the broadcast networks (behind WB), but they're both trumped by Nick and Cartoon Network, which both also do not air first-run premieres in their blocks (though I think that's unfair to judge, since both also have deals in place that prevents them from airing premieres opposite their broadcast network partners).

Burgundy Ranger

tucsoncoyote said:
That's true Steve, but then again how many families can afford Cable Nowadays..(Either that or that Cable TV is very prevalent .. but still when you think about this what ABC Kids might want to do at this point is to Disband, since the comment of "Cable Being Top Dog," really makes me wonder how long it will before folks will wise up to all of this and buy cable..either that or Cable Prices are going to have to come down in a hurry..
Notice I said 'lead dog,' not 'top dog.' And that's only for ABC, CBS and NBC, where every show in each of those lineups is shown on cable first before it reaches Saturday morning. There might be 1 or 2 NBC/Discovery Kids shows that are on NBC first, but they're very rare.

The Interesting fact is that you state that 45% of the Affilitates of ABC usually mess with the schedules and usually pre-empt that last hour.. (which really means that in a 4 hour period ABC kids is getting by with just the BARE minimum here..
It's not 45% of the affiliates. It's more like 25% but when you consider these stations are in huge markets like Boston, DC, Atlanta and Dallas (to name a few), it winds up being about 45% of the total TV homes.

I did some math about 18 months ago. At that time, more people had access to Power Rangers at 8:30 a.m. on ABC Family than had access at 12:00 (at that time) on ABC Kids -- or whenever the "real" scheduled time was. That doesn't include the affiliates that tape-delayed it and showed it at 5 or 6 a.m. the next week.

but what would happen if Suddenly ABC Kids found themselves in a pickle where they would end up 1 to 2 shows short of that Minimal Quota.. what then?
They'll never be short of the E/I quota. (If that's the quota your talkin' about) The ONLY reason ABC, CBS and NBC still have kids blocks is to provide three hours of E/I programming so their affiliates will be in compliance with the FCC rules. That's it. Nothing more.

ABC is the only one of those three that has that fourth hour. But you wonder how committed ABC really is to it when they out it in such a horrible time slot and allow it to be pre-empted as often as it is, if not by the affiliates then by all those football games come September.

In the recently completed year it took to show Power Rangers DinoThunder (Feb 2004 to Feb 2005), the 12-1 hour was pre-empted on the network level 14 times.

The affiliate level is too hard to track!

tucsoncoyote

Who or should I say, What make a show get an E/I Rating?

SteveR said:
Notice I said 'lead dog,' not 'top dog.' And that's only for ABC, CBS and NBC, where every show in each of those lineups is shown on cable first before it reaches Saturday morning. There might be 1 or 2 NBC/Discovery Kids shows that are on NBC first, but they're very rare.

It's not 45% of the affiliates. It's more like 25% but when you consider these stations are in huge markets like Boston, DC, Atlanta and Dallas (to name a few), it winds up being about 45% of the total TV homes.

I did some math about 18 months ago. At that time, more people had access to Power Rangers at 8:30 a.m. on ABC Family than had access at 12:00 (at that time) on ABC Kids -- or whenever the "real" scheduled time was. That doesn't include the affiliates that tape-delayed it and showed it at 5 or 6 a.m. the next week.

They'll never be short of the E/I quota. (If that's the quota your talkin' about) The ONLY reason ABC, CBS and NBC still have kids blocks is to provide three hours of E/I programming so their affiliates will be in compliance with the FCC rules. That's it. Nothing more.

ABC is the only one of those three that has that fourth hour. But you wonder how committed ABC really is to it when they out it in such a horrible time slot and allow it to be pre-empted as often as it is, if not by the affiliates then by all those football games come September.

In the recently completed year it took to show Power Rangers DinoThunder (Feb 2004 to Feb 2005), the 12-1 hour was pre-empted on the network level 14 times.

The affiliate level is too hard to track!
Right Steve but what I am thinking is that what will happen in 2007? Here's how I see it and this is where I have to bring up the issue..

Disney right now has the Bare Minimum 3 hours as required by the FCC and in fact the Only Show I can see that could possibly be rated for E/I in 2007 is maybe Katbot, if not The Emperor's New Skool..(oh yeah like spelling doesn't count..)

but the point is this.. what if either or neither of theses shows get no E/I Rating and in fact what if The Proud Family gets removed from the mix..(AFter all we're looking at it as being the next Oldest Series that is out there..)

this would theoretically mean that ABC Kids could have one less show that is E/I and in fact it would have to look elsewhere to keep that minimal 3 hours up to E/I standards..

and considering that Disney Channel is planning to release 15 new shows (of course we can now rule out, Brandy and Mr. WHiskers, Jake Long, and now Zack and Cody (is Zack and Cody really E/I? and in fact how could a Live action show really get an E/I Rating?)

see that's what makes me wonder.. if Zack and Cody is E/I, or that the Buzz about Maggie is the same.. what happens if fans don't find these shows appealing on ABC kids? What then..

The ball is Your court, Steve..

Burgundy Ranger

I don't see how things will ever be that dire in the Disney camp. I would venture to guess that a good two-thirds of everything produced for Disney Channel is E/I compliant. They'll never be short of stuff. They make sure of that in the beginning.

You seem surprised that live action can be E/I. Look at the lineup. Phil is E/I. Raven is. Lizzie is. Even Stevens is. Not that challenging.

The reservoir of E/I material is never-ending. If, per chance, one of these new shows falters, Disney won't hesitate to dust off Lizzie, Fillmore, heck, even Teamo Supremo to fill the void.

Trust me. As long as the FCC rules are in place, ABC Kids will never be under the 3-hour E/I plateau.

sag_2002

Re: The Buzz on Meggie

This comes from TVTome. Meggie's still a good 5 months away, so we don't know if it's totally true or not, but check out the star power they've got lined up for this one.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-34107

(Odd, I thought Miss Duff wanted out of Disney, but here she is again, so sayeth the Tome. Oh well. Also, it looks like we haven't heard the last of KP (or at least her voice)

If this is true, I'm definately checking Meggie out.

Freedom Fighter

Considering neither Hilary or Christy were listed in the press release above, either they are in very miniscule roles, or TVTome's giving off false info... again.

RayChuang

If I remember correctly...

...W.I.T.C.H. was intended originally for ABC Family Channel and Toon Disney only. I think Disney will likely return to that policy when they show the second 26-episode season.

Remember, most non-digital Extended Basic cable packages include the ABC Family Channel, so the loss of viewers by dropping W.I.T.C.H. from the ABC Kids programming block won't be that significant.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
Well, it could be also that they want W.I.T.C.H. on during the spring and the monkeys on during the fall. How many episodes are in W.I.T.C.H. season 1? I know there's 26 episodes of it in season 2, and if they want to show them in order on ABC Kids, then they'll have to wait until the football season is over. As for the Monkey's, they have 26 in season 1 and 1 1/2, and only 13 in season 2, so even if they showed it only every other week, they could easily show 13.

kimpossible1fan

I am Jack's smirking revenge
How did they....

How could they get rid of KP! I mean I first saw it on ABC Kids, back in '02.
I could live without Phil of the future because of Family Channel (Canadian DC)
But take my Kp . :sad: They are really losing me as a viewer.(Or really soon, if their not careful).

Donald Duck 12

Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!
tucsoncoyote said:

Hmm...As you said there's Katbot and Emporer's, plus whatever new live-action shows come out (which always tend to E/I and how is exageratted teen angst better for you than innovation?) and I think Mickey Mouse Clubhouse would do Disney well to air on ABC. So then one hour of E/I just needs filling, so no real concern. Besides, Disney can pull of E/I better than most. Speaking of which, Disney has a good library of E/I shows. Why not air some of them? Pooh, One Saturday Morning shows, Garfield, whatever! I mean:

-Nick spanks ratings with the same old things from four years ago.
-Kids WB spanks ratings with the same old things from four years ago.
-The four year old Static Shock has proven sucessful on CN.
-Scooby and Tom and Jerry have always done well on CN.
-Reruns of Cartoon Cartoons and aquations do well on CN.
-Disney Channel has repeats and repeats.

So if these repeats do so well, why wouldn't things a few generations haven't seen do better?:

-Scooby and Tom and Jerry have always done well on CN.
-Smurfs has worked well for DiC.
-Jetix uses shows from decades ago.

You tell me.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts