Aardman is running out of clay.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Stop-motion animation studio Aardman is in trouble. The manufacturer that has provided Aardman's clay over the decades, Newclay Products, has closed up shop earlier this year. Aardman bought up its remaining stock before the shutdown and now they only have enough clay left to produce one more film, set to release next year.

You may be asking, "Can't they just switch to another manufacturer?" It's not that easy. Newclay exclusively produced a unique plasticine-type clay called Lewis Newplast--it doesn't dry or melt as easily as other types of putty, and is malleable and reusable, so Aardman can't just easily switch to Play-Doh or a lower-quality material.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
It will be the end of an era for sure, but honestly I don't see why they can't just do what they did for Flushed Away and make a CG film that looks like clay animation. Some will say that's not as authentic, but it sure beats not doing any more Aardman films period.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts