A new Digimon Series!!!

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Yeah, that does make a Crunchyroll release much more likely after they made a tweet about it. Hopefully they'll formally announce it after we get more details about the new series.

Reactions: RDG

veemonjosh

All That Glitters Ain't Gold
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
I definitely hope so. They simulcasted Young Hunters and Tri, but we didn't get an official sub of Appmon until literally a few months ago, so I'm hoping Toei doesn't make the same mistake this time.

(Also, please Crunchyroll, get subs for Adventure-Savers. I've been wanting to rewatch Adventure and I've never seen Tamers or Frontier in Japanese, but the official subs for Adventure/02/Tamers evaporated from the internet and Frontier/Savers have never received official subs.)

Reactions: Light Lucario

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I definitely hope so. They simulcasted Young Hunters and Tri, but we didn't get an official sub of Appmon until literally a few months ago, so I'm hoping Toei doesn't make the same mistake this time.
They may have been hoping to get Appmon a TV deal before finally just putting the official subs up. They might have an easier time getting this new Adventure series on the air, but they're probably better off putting the series on Crunchyroll instead, especially when the anime hasn't been hugely popular for quite some time.

veemonjosh said:
(Also, please Crunchyroll, get subs for Adventure-Savers. I've been wanting to rewatch Adventure and I've never seen Tamers or Frontier in Japanese, but the official subs for Adventure/02/Tamers evaporated from the internet and Frontier/Savers have never received official subs.)
I'm really surprised that they don't have subs for at least the first three series. I know that they had Adventure 02 subs on either Hulu or Crunchyroll before. Hulu had Tamers subbed, but that disappeared a few years ago. Having all of the Digimon series legally subbed would be neat, but I'd think that there would be more than enough demand for at least the first three series. Frontier and Savers getting official subs would be pretty cool too.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
For those of you who want this show to get an English dub, we need to be careful what we wish for, after the way that Xros Wars/Fusion was dubbed.
A dub still provides more exposure for the series and could lead it Digimon being on TV again. Plus, Saban most likely won't be involved with the dub for this like they were with Fusion. I haven't watched any of the Tri movies dubbed yet, but I haven't really heard much complaints about dub Tri, so it might be okay if they treat the new Adventure series in a similar fashion.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Wish they would have made an anime adaptation of one of the video games instead. Going back to the original series yet again is beyond tiresome.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
I haven't commented yet, but as someone who loves the original...I'm mixed. Of course, I'll be watching this show, but it really has some big shoes to fill. My biggest concern is that they'll try too hard to modernize it in annoying ways (think the Amazing Spider-Man movie series). It also feels weird that we're getting a reboot when the final chapter of the original isn't even out yet...

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Isn't "Last Evolution Kizuna" the final chapter, though?
It might be the last continuation of this version of the Adventure cast, but I believe that they've already confirmed this new series to be a reboot. So they're basically starting off fresh with the same established characters possibly so that they can tell new stories with them without having to make it fit within the main continuity.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Taking the nostalgia goggles off Adventure wasn't that good. The reboot has potential to rectify a lot of the problems that plagued the original.

Have Tai be an actual leader. Having the strongest digimon and or the one with the most wins doesn't have anything to do with leadership ability. The show confused his recklessness with bravery and he made a lot of bad decisions that would have got himself and the others killed in a more realistic scenarios. I don't expect him to be as intelligent as Izzy or mature as Joe but they could do small things to make his position more deserving. Actually come up with battle strategies for the digimon and maybe boost the confidence of the other characters with more compliments and pep talks.

Better pacing. A ton of episodes, especially the first half of the series had the characters do a lot of aimless wandering until the monster of the day showed up. They also had a tendency to drag things out by having the characters separated or captured before or after they faced off with the main arc villains. Majority of the time before each battle could be used to expand on the various digimon and the the digital world as a whole.

Make the digimon less interchangeable. Other than Gatomon and Gomamon they didn't really have distinct personalities and basically talked and behaved the same. Most of the the villains were one note aside from the three or four comedic ones. The mind controlled or brainless beast type minor villains or the smart but cruel to their underlings main villains. Giving the good and bad guys some subplots or more in depth origins would go a long way to helping them stand out from one another outside of looks and attacks.

More teamwork. Izzy and his magic laptop did most of the work in figuring out the mysteries and what actions needed to be taken to get home or stop the villains plan. Also, a lot of the fights weren't group efforts and involved a single digimon delivering the final and only effective blow.

Less plot convenience. Almost all the heroes victories were achieved through sheer luck. The prophecy stuff had little foreshadowing and the allies always popped up right when they were needed the most. They never bothered to elaborate on how the main villains attained key information or got all the resources they needed to go through with their plans.

Make the battles more engaging. Most fights were way too short and one sided and the usage of strategy was few and far between. Have the villains put up more of a fight once the protagonist digivolve instead of going down in one or two hits.

Hopefully the reboot is a complete overhaul and not just a visual upgrade with a handful of minor story changes.

Aug 13, 2015