A Disney Duck Embargo?

SweetShop209

So, this is interesting. Remember the Batman embargo of the mid 2000s, where major Batman characters couldn't appear in more than one show in major roles (such as how Batman didn't appear in Teen Titans, Robin didn't show up on The Batman until season 4 [which was after Teen Titans finished], and the Joker didn't appear for the remainder of the DCAU? I think a similar thing might be the case when it comes to Disney Ducks, as evidenced with DuckTales 2017 and Legend Of The Three Caballeros. Think like this. Donald is a main character in the former, but he doesn't appear in every episode. In the latter, he's THE main character. Scrooge, the main character of DuckTales, only makes a cameo in one episode of the latter. Panchito and Jose are also leading characters in Legend Of The Three Caballeros, but their appearances on DuckTales were after the show ended (they didn't appear until season 2, which came out months after the former ended). Likewise, Daisy only started appearing on DuckTales in season 3, after LOTTC ended. Another factor is that while much of the main cast of DuckTales is based on established characters with originals thrown in, most of LOTTC's cast is composed of original characters (like Xandra, Baron Von Sheldgoose, and Lord Feldrake), with neither of these show specific characters appearing or even being mentioned in the other. One final thing is with how, while DuckTales has Huey, Dewey, and Louie, LOTTC has April, May, and June, whose only major appearance is in that series and nothing else. It could be because both shows were developed by different departments of Disney (Disney Television Animation for DuckTales, and Disney Interactive for LOTTC) despite being in production at more or less the same time (DuckTales was announced in February 2015 and came out August 2017, a production of 2 and a half years. LOTTC is most likely the same since it came out June 2018). Still, what do you think? Is there some kind of Disney Duck Embargo?

Last edited:

zoombie

I don't know about that, but I do like your Donald Duck and Batman comparison, I have always thought that Donald is to Disney is what Batman is to DC.

While Mickey is the mascot of Disney, and Superman is the mascot of DC, Donald and Batman of been the back bones of their companies for such a long time. Their family tress and rogue gallery of characters connected to them are so much more prominent than they are for Mickey and Superman.

Stumpos

So, this is interesting. Remember the Batman embargo of the mid 2000s, where major Batman characters couldn't appear in more than one show in major roles (such as how Batman didn't appear in Teen Titans, Robin didn't show up on The Batman until season 4 [which was after Teen Titans finished], and the Joker didn't appear for the remainder of the DCAU? I think a similar thing might be the case when it comes to Disney Ducks, as evidenced with DuckTales 2017 and Legend Of The Three Caballeros. Think like this. Donald is a main character in the former, but he doesn't appear in every episode. In the latter, he's THE main character. Scrooge, the main character of DuckTales, only makes a cameo in one episode of the latter. Panchito and Jose are also leading characters in Legend Of The Three Caballeros, but their appearances on DuckTales were after the show ended (they didn't appear until season 2, which came out months after the former ended). Likewise, Daisy only started appearing on DuckTales in season 3, after LOTTC ended. Another factor is that while much of the main cast of DuckTales is based on established characters with originals thrown in, most of LOTTC's cast is composed of original characters (like Xandra, Baron Von Sheldgoose, and Lord Feldrake), with neither of these show specific characters appearing or even being mentioned in the other. One final thing is with how, while DuckTales has Huey, Dewey, and Louie, LOTTC has April, May, and June, whose only major appearance is in that series and nothing else. It could be because both shows were developed by different departments of Disney (Disney Television Animation for DuckTales, and Disney Interactive for LOTTC) despite being in production at more or less the same time (DuckTales was announced in February 2015 and came out August 2017, a production of 2 and a half years. LOTTC is most likely the same since it came out June 2018). Still, what do you think? Is there some kind of Disney Duck Embargo?
Except Frank Angones said back in 2018 that he had no idea Legend of the Three Caballeros even existed before it came out on June 2018 and that it was actually in production before DuckTales (full production on DuckTales began on January 2016) with it having no impact on Jose and Panchito not appearing til season 2.
And Daisy not appearing until season 3 was due to Frank and the team wanting to make her more than just Donald's girlfriend. They were already considering using her in season 1 but decided against it so Legend of the Three Cabs had nothing to do with it.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Except Frank Angones said back in 2018 that he had no idea Legend of the Three Caballeros even existed before it came out on June 2018 and that it was actually in production before DuckTales (full production on DuckTales began on January 2016) with it having no impact on Jose and Panchito not appearing til season 2.
If that's true, then the production of Legend of the Three Caballeros must have ended at latest in December 2015, so the American premiere took almost 4 years! :eek:

Because of the Filipino premiere in June 2018, I assumed that production of LOTC had ended in late 2017 or early 2018.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Duckburg is clearly referenced in the first episode, and it's where Donald is living before he moves to Quackmore.

Shameful that this show wasn't promoted at all and treated like a redheaded stepchild. It's actually quite good.

I'm not sure what the plan was with this show. I get the sense it was meant to skew younger and play more toward an international crowd with the goddess taking the Caballeros across the world.

Yet the writers gave the show a strong action-adventure bent and each episode usually leads right into the next. It's not something you often see in Disney cartoons.

SweetShop209

While it's not exactly a Disney Junior show and would fit right in on a regular Disney Channel, it's slightly younger skewing feel could be attributed to the show's script coordinator (Niki Lytton) later being the script coordinator for Muppet Babies and currently TOTS, which actually are Disney Junior shows.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
While it's not exactly a Disney Junior show and would fit right in on a regular Disney Channel, it's slightly younger skewing feel could be attributed to the show's script coordinator (Niki Lytton) later being the script coordinator for Muppet Babies and currently TOTS, which actually are Disney Junior shows.
It definitely would fit on regular Disney channel, but it's definitely a few steps above the Disney Junior shows. I don't get why the show was buried other than maybe they didn't want to cause confusion with DuckTales.

The show also features an appearance by Scrooge McDuck and his Money Bin, so to say there's no connections there is grossly inaccurate. The show definitely seeds the idea that it's a loose spinoff of the original DuckTales. I say loosely because I doubt it was meant to be this big attempt at creating a shared DuckTales universe, same with Darkwing Duck at the time it was made.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Apparently, in addition to the DreamWorks incarnation of Trolls... Disney Channel aired the DiC one?
they can bring back g4, chiller, and cloo back on xumo, i mean if they bring back spike tv for pluto tv, why not chiller, cloo, and g4 for xumo
Hey guys, I'm back! Been gone for almost a year from having a lot on my plate but now I have more free time. I hope everyone here is making it through these tough and difficult times.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of when Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was released in North America. Majora's Mask was the second game from the franchise I played and certainly fits with the Halloween theme.
Why did Adult Swim air the Family Guy episode Wasted Talent as part of the Halloween special?