4Kids Voice Actors

Latest News & Videos

TheJLeeTeam

Beak Freak & Bronikitty
Sep 9, 2018
USA
www.deviantart.com
I actually like 4Kids anime dubs, I know not everyone does but I remember the voice actors. Eric Stuart was even at SacAnime months ago about how 4Kids edits were for international dubs. I know the actors voice work when I hear them. Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, Dan Green, Mike Pollock, Jason Griffith, Wayne Grayson, etc. These are some of my favorite voice actors and I highly miss them.

Reactions: Terror of Death

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Austin, Texas
Ever since I've been into voice actors I've always liked the 4kids (New York) voice actors, like Marc Thompson, Scottie Ray, Erica Schroeder, Wayne Grayson, Mike Pollock and so on. Honestly I could never really like Funimation and other voicing companies that dub because surprisingly despite most opinion on those companies being better, they could never really sell the voices as good as 4Kids did.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Most of the 4kids dubs get a bad rap. Yes, most of the script changes and edits were unnecessary but the actors did some of the best performances in their careers under 4kids. They gave their characters a lot of charm and personality they would have probably lacked if someone else voiced them. Yu-Gi-Oh! DM remains one of my favorite anime dubs to this day.

Reactions: jaylop97

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Supposedly, according to Eric Stuart, all the edits that 4Kids did were for the sake of Standards and Practices at the time. Rules have gotten a lot looser since then.

DBTrilogy100

Mar 9, 2010
United States
Thinking back on it, I think the only anime I saw that had 4Kids Dubs would be Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh (Duel Monsters and GX, to be specific), although I was also aware of the 4Kids Cast through some YouTube clips of some of the Sonic video games and some YouTube clips of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003).

With what I have seen of the 4Kids Cast, I do enjoy their voice work and feel the casts were the highlights of the anime I have seen involving them; it's a shame Uncut dubs from 4Kids were on the rare side (I recall one for Duel Monsters having a few episodes released before being cancelled) but the dubs I have seen still have a sense of charm to them and I can still appreciate them for what they are when all is said and done.

I am glad to hear some of the members of the 4Kids Cast have been able to find other projects in recent times and wish them well as they continue their careers.

Reactions: Light Lucario

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
If anything, I prefer Brock's 4Kids English VA Eric Stuart over his TPCI English VA Bill Rogers.
I like both voices. I think that Eric Stuart did a better job with the comedic lines, but Bill Rogers does pretty well with the more serious moments for Brock. Plus, it didn't take me too long to get used to Bill Rogers' voice either. I still have nostalgic fondness for the 4Kids cast, but I think that the TPCI cast is pretty good too. Aside from Meowth's voice since I never grew to like it. James and to a lesser degree Jessie's TPCI voices also got a bit worse for me, but at least part of that is due to their dialogue.

With what I have seen of the 4Kids Cast, I do enjoy their voice work and feel the casts were the highlights of the anime I have seen involving them; it's a shame Uncut dubs from 4Kids were on the rare side (I recall one for Duel Monsters having a few episodes released before being cancelled) but the dubs I have seen still have a sense of charm to them and I can still appreciate them for what they are when all is said and done.
There were only three uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs before it was cancelled. I think that they might have also done uncut Shaman King or that was a possibility. Oddly enough, I remember the voice acting in the uncut dub being a lot more wooden than in the actual edited dub, but it probably didn't help that their voices for the characters were noticeably different from when the dub started. Yami Yugi in particular had a much deeper voice starting around season two, so hearing it in the early Duelist Kingdom episodes was kind of jarring.

It still would have been interesting to see them doing more work on uncut DVDs. I remember that Amazon had listings for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! volumes four, five and maybe even six, so they did work on more episodes and possibly were going to go further with the uncut dub. If they didn't have the legal issues regarding Yugi and Bakura's Japanese voice actors, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened with the uncut dubs.

DBTrilogy100 said:
I am glad to hear some of the members of the 4Kids Cast have been able to find other projects in recent times and wish them well as they continue their careers.
It is always a pleasant surprise when I hear Veronica Taylor or Rachael Lillis in a new dub. I do hope that they're all doing well with their careers.

Reactions: jaylop97

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
I watched Pokemon and Yugioh and I didn't anything wrong with the voices. I really preferred the voices from 4kids with pokemon than what we have now, especially with Team Rocket.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I have heard that Tara Jayne-Sands returned for Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions. Why? I think they should use Carrie Keranen instead.
They probably brought her back because she is more well known as Mokuba and she had already reprised her role in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links. I don't think that Carrie Keranen's voice for Mokuba was that well received among fans. Besides that, there wouldn't be much point in redubbing Mokuba's lines when The Dark Side of Dimensions has been available on DVD for a couple of years already.

DBTrilogy100

Mar 9, 2010
United States
Light Lucario said:
There were only three uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs before it was cancelled. I think that they might have also done uncut Shaman King or that was a possibility. Oddly enough, I remember the voice acting in the uncut dub being a lot more wooden than in the actual edited dub, but it probably didn't help that their voices for the characters were noticeably different from when the dub started. Yami Yugi in particular had a much deeper voice starting around season two, so hearing it in the early Duelist Kingdom episodes was kind of jarring.

It still would have been interesting to see them doing more work on uncut DVDs. I remember that Amazon had listings for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! volumes four, five and maybe even six, so they did work on more episodes and possibly were going to go further with the uncut dub. If they didn't have the legal issues regarding Yugi and Bakura's Japanese voice actors, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened with the uncut dubs.
Ah, so there were 3 DVDs of the uncut dub released before being cancelled. Assuming each volume had 3 episodes, that would mean only 9 episodes were released with 5 or 6 volumes being listed suggesting that as many as 18 episodes were dubbed before the cancelation. I never knew what the reason for the cancelation was beforehand but it is a shame to hear that legal complications were the cause.

I only managed to see a few clips of the uncut dub here or there on YouTube but from what I was able to gather, it seems as though the dub went with literal translations while combining the dub name and sub name for some characters as a compromise. I imagine that may have been a factor in the awkward delivery in the dub due to trying to match the mouth flaps/lip laps and due to the length of certain words/sentences being different between English and Japanese. I feel it does help to illustrate why most dubs tend to use translations that get the same point/idea/spirit across rather than a word-for-word translation. I have a feeling that the performances might have been less awkward if the uncut dub went with a translation more like DBZ Kai (to give an example that I am familiar with).

It's true that the uncut dub was recorded at a time when the 4Kids Cast had adjusted to their roles compared to when they were still getting used to their roles when they started to record the edited dub, so I understand how it would feel surreal hearing such a difference during the Duelist Kingdom Saga. A part of me wonders if hearing consistent voices throughout the uncut dub if it were given the chance to finish might have made the situation less surreal in comparison to the canceled run.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I know David Moo, who was highly criticized for his voice work on the 4kids dub of One Piece, became a bartender and seems pretty happy with that career. Eric Stuart has been focusing on this band lately.

Marc Thompson and other 4Kids actors have done work Welcome to the Wayne and Transformers Cyberverse. I think a lot of the remaining voice actors still in New York, either quit the business or get roles in various anime dubs, smaller video games and American cartoons that decide to go non-union. But a lot, like Veronica Taylor, has just moved to LA.

Vuxovich

Jul 9, 2019
Čonoplja near Sombor
Also, the whole of the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise is notorious for keeping the same voice actors since the first day, even the retired ones. Why? My opinion, at least, is that it would be better if the dub of the Dark Side of Dimensions was done by a different dubbing studio or, for example, Seto Kaiba gets his new voice actor. How about that?

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Ah, so there were 3 DVDs of the uncut dub released before being cancelled. Assuming each volume had 3 episodes, that would mean only 9 episodes were released with 5 or 6 volumes being listed suggesting that as many as 18 episodes were dubbed before the cancelation. I never knew what the reason for the cancelation was beforehand but it is a shame to hear that legal complications were the cause.
Yeah, they might had even more uncut dub episodes in the works. I think that they gave out a couple of reasons before, such as not wanting to have the uncut sets compete against the dub, but the real reason was the legal issues. It's the same reason why their Yu-Gi-Oh! raw videos eventually had to be taken down from YouTube.

DBTrilogy100 said:
I only managed to see a few clips of the uncut dub here or there on YouTube but from what I was able to gather, it seems as though the dub went with literal translations while combining the dub name and sub name for some characters as a compromise. I imagine that may have been a factor in the awkward delivery in the dub due to trying to match the mouth flaps/lip laps and due to the length of certain words/sentences being different between English and Japanese. I feel it does help to illustrate why most dubs tend to use translations that get the same point/idea/spirit across rather than a word-for-word translation. I have a feeling that the performances might have been less awkward if the uncut dub went with a translation more like DBZ Kai (to give an example that I am familiar with).

It's true that the uncut dub was recorded at a time when the 4Kids Cast had adjusted to their roles compared to when they were still getting used to their roles when they started to record the edited dub, so I understand how it would feel surreal hearing such a difference during the Duelist Kingdom Saga. A part of me wonders if hearing consistent voices throughout the uncut dub if it were given the chance to finish might have made the situation less surreal in comparison to the canceled run.
Keeping the dub names was an odd choice. Maybe they didn't want to confuse kids who were used to them, but keeping them combined with the more literal translations probably didn't help matters. I haven't watched those uncut dub episodes in a long time, but I just remember thinking that the dialogue was so wooden. It still would have been nice to see them work on more episodes to see if the translations and acting would have improved. At the very least, the voices wouldn't have sounded too jarring if they had gotten to the Battle City arc.

Also, the whole of the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise is notorious for keeping the same voice actors since the first day, even the retired ones. Why? My opinion, at least, is that it would be better if the dub of the Dark Side of Dimensions was done by a different dubbing studio or, for example, Seto Kaiba gets his new voice actor. How about that?
I wouldn't really say that they're notorious for that, especially when your example comes from an anniversary movie. Of course they wanted to get Dan Green to reprise his role for the The Dark Side of Dimensions. It was basically an extended epilogue of the DM anime, despite being set within the manga's continuity. Long time fans, or fans of the DM series at least, have nostalgic fondness for the 4Kids dub cast and most of the cast enjoyed their roles. Why wouldn't they want to get as many cast members back for the movie? Besides that, it feels like their voice talent pool gets smaller and smaller with each new series, so they don't have a lot of the same voice actors available for new series.

I'm also not really sure why you're so focused on a redub for The Dark Side of Dimensions just to have different voices. They aren't going to redub a movie that has been available for a couple of years now. Unless Eric Stuart was uninterested in reprising his role for Kaiba, which seems pretty unlikely when he's done lines for Duel Links, I don't think that they'd give Kaiba a different voice actor. I'd love for a different studio to handle dubbing any future projects for the franchise, mainly because the voice acting in the dubs have gotten worse over time, but that probably isn't going to happen when Konami Cross Media has their own resources in New York to keep dubbing the series themselves.

DBTrilogy100

Mar 9, 2010
United States
Light Lucario said:
Yeah, they might had even more uncut dub episodes in the works. I think that they gave out a couple of reasons before, such as not wanting to have the uncut sets compete against the dub, but the real reason was the legal issues. It's the same reason why their Yu-Gi-Oh! raw videos eventually had to be taken down from YouTube.
I recall hearing multiple reasons behind the cancelation like the "competing dubs" one which had lead to me not really knowing why it happened, especially since I didn't want to jump to conclusions. At least the truth has been clarified by this point in time and it will hopefully lead to any lingering misunderstandings being clarified. Now that you mention it, I do recall that YouTube incident and it now makes sense in light of the truth coming to light.

Light Lucario said:
Keeping the dub names was an odd choice. Maybe they didn't want to confuse kids who were used to them, but keeping them combined with the more literal translations probably didn't help matters. I haven't watched those uncut dub episodes in a long time, but I just remember thinking that the dialogue was so wooden. It still would have been nice to see them work on more episodes to see if the translations and acting would have improved. At the very least, the voices wouldn't have sounded too jarring if they had gotten to the Battle City arc.
The best guess I can think of for the decision to combine the dub name and sub name for some characters (such as "Katsuya Joey" rather than "Joey Wheeler" or "Katsuya Jounouchi") was an attempt at compromise to please sub fans while not alienating dub fans but I acknowledge that this is only speculation on my part. I do find it a curious choice since the video games (or, at least, the video games I own) chose to stick with the dub names without altering the stories too much (if at all) in the games.

Though I only saw a few clips here or there on YouTube sometime ago, I do remember finding the dialogue sounding clunky & awkward even if it was accurate. It's possible that those clips might have been what lead to me seeing how literal translations don't always flow naturally in another language. It would have been nice if the 4Kids Cast had a chance to record an uncut dub with translations that flowed better in English while still retaining the same point/idea/spirit rather than trying a word-for-word translation as I believe that would have helped with making it easier to match the mouth flaps/lip flaps which, in turn, would have gone a long way in helping the cast give performances that felt more natural and less stilted or awkward.

Last edited:

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Canada
Dark Side of Dimensions is a play at the global nostalgia for that set of characters. Arbitrarily replacing the entire voice cast undermines that goal.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Flintstones = Grand Dad, what does Yogi Bear equal? Grand Bear?
It took me all day and most of the month, but I finally got my 2 laptops upgraded (SSD, new RAM, replaced any and all broken parts, full cleanup of useless programs and salvaging useful ones). It was rough work, but I enjoyed every minute of it!

Someday, I'm gonna do this for a living, honestly.
Asa
What is with Nickelodeon US refusing to air the Pineapple RV episode of SpongeBob? It's already been aired in some countries, how come America didn't get it yet?
Tex Avery's MGM Cartoons are finally getting a blu-ray release after years of us waiting, at last!
#RIPKobe, Gigi, and the others in the helicopter.