3Below: Tales Of Arcadia Series Talkback Thread

zoombie

Since no one put out a thread for this, I guess I will.

Season 1 dropped last Friday with 13 episodes. My general thought I really liked it, and that is saying something. Going in I thought of it as a ripoff of one of my favorite shows of all time Sym Bionic Titan, and there are elements of SBT in this show (for example Steve's character development similar to Kimmy's), but it was able to gain its own identity.

So season 1 takes place the same time as season 3 of Trollhunters, and we got the royal siblings introduction episode from Trollhunters again but from their prospective, which I thought was interesting, and it is revealed they knew about the Troll and figured out Jim was the Trollhunter,, that is a nice reveal.

So what the odds of two possible end of the world attacks happen at the same time. Probably a third one we don't know about it yet.

Can't wait for season 2, we finally see post Battle of the Bands Arcadia.

Dudley

Staff member
While the characters aren’t as endearing as those in Trollhunters, it’s still highly enjoyable and I look forward to the next season, especially since we’ll see the aftermath of The Eternal Night exposing trolls to the world. Will Aja and Krel’s identity be exposed as well?

Also, one thing I like that was pretty bold was that racist dad to the math genius kid. Instead of taking the time to tell him that he was wrong, both students and teacher’s shrugged it off. It’s a pretty realistic portrayal.

One last thing, I’m glad we get more of Steve and Eli. Steve really has grown throughout both series, and I hope he continues to protect and care for Aja throughout this series and in Wizards.

Last edited:

Dragnatek

I wonder if Aja actually had feelings for Steve or if she was just going along with the relationship for the experience. It seems to me it could be ether.

zoombie

I wonder if Aja actually had feelings for Steve or if she was just going along with the relationship for the experience. It seems to me it could be ether.

I don't know, I guess we will see. They are cute together, but they are no Octus x Kimmy. Steve found out she was an alien, something Kimmy never found out yet, though I am sure she was going to.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
You guys ever find it strange that whenever we see an advance civilization they always have a monarchy, like for all of their advance space age tech they still choose to have leaders through blood instead of abilities or charisma.

PapaGreg

While the characters aren’t as endearing as those in Trollhunters,

Really cause I much prefer these characters over boring Jim and his annoying as hell fat friend.
The Show is alright but very cliched which makes sense this is made by the same people who did TrollHunters. You think Guillermo Del Toro making a series of kids cartoons would be interesting but was proven wrong

Troy Troodon

I think this show is... okay. Not bad but it still has a lot of problems.

One is the fish out of water forumal. It's that same sort of story we've seen before where an alien or a group of aliens crash land to earth and are absolutely dumbfounded at human society, and they take certain idioms too seriously, and they don't know what stuff like money is and all that, and they act real quirky and hijinks insue... and honestly I hate it, I hate this approach to humor, I hated it with that one character from Star Wars: The Resistance and I hate it here, and I especially don't like how this applies to the overall approach to the fish out of water story.

Another problem is the pacing and timing, the invasion of the protagonists' planet just happens in the middle of some ceremony and we didn't get to take it in; and it's because of that we don't get to fully invest in the characters, heck over time I actually found Steve got more development than the actual main characters; but hey at leas they're still more rounded compared to the actual male villain who we have no backstory to and is just another typical bond villain, and there's even less to invest in him.

And if you look back to the reason why they left, there honestly aren't many stakes. Like instead of just having their parents in stasus or whatever that is, why not actually have them die?! Or at least have them taken as prisoners of war?!

And I guess another problem would be that it's basically a campier version of Sym-Byonic Titan. I know it's unfair to compare one show to another but I just gotta say it, in terms of the over all synopsis, and the three titular characters that are the center of that story and the struggles they go through, Sym-Bionic Titan did it better.

To me the way the characters tried to interact in that show felt more natural; since the characters already looked human, and they can produce money necessary to get into school, which they do quickly get the hang of; the characters are more engaging, the villain is a lot more threatening, and there's definitely a lot more at stake there. Heck looking back I think that show actually tried to back the cliches asociated with the fish out of water formula.

Actually here's an idea for a show with that formula. Why not have the humans be aliens?! Think about it, an animated show where a group of humans crash land in the middle of another planet they're unfamiliar with and they have to adjust to their society. And they don't try to hide from the government or whatever, people already know they exist and over time they come to be accepted in their society just like Cornelius and Zira in Escape from Planet of The Apes. There could be some potentially interesting commentary to go with that.

But I do hope season two will be a lot more engaging, and hopefully it could lead up to that other potential series that could bridge it with Trollhunters.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Really cause I much prefer these characters over boring Jim and his annoying as hell fat friend.
The Show is alright but very cliched which makes sense this is made by the same people who did TrollHunters. You think Guillermo Del Toro making a series of kids cartoons would be interesting but was proven wrong

To be fair. I don't think Del Toro is as hands-on when it comes to these shows as PR makes it seem to be. He probably comes up with premises and ideas and oversees some stuff, but there's other producers and head writers involved as well. Del Toro is already juggling a lot of projects.

Dudley

Staff member
I’ve been marathoning Trollhunters and 3 Below again, and I’m really excited for season 2 of 3 Below as it sort of serves as season 4 of Trollhunters.
I’m glad I don’t have to wait until the end of the year for the next season. I guess they’re saving the first season of Wizards for then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
New season is out, and apparently it’s 3 Belize’s last season, with it ending on a setup for Wizards.
Overall, it was highly enjoyable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaGreg

I couldn't continue because the fat idiot appeared in the first episode and man is he annoying.

Dragnatek

Nice that we are finally past the events of Troll Hunters third season. Though 3 below almost feels like a side story. The alien stuff feels far less important then the magic stuff is.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts