2019 Pokemon Season News

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I hope it's just a delay of a few years. And a Gen 9 anime should retire Ash if he wins the Masters 8.

What could save the anime is if WB acquires Legendary and the two become production partners of the show, expanding their involvement beyond the American media franchise that so far only has Detective Pikachu. This in turn could lead the combined HBOmax/Discovery+ to have rights to show first-run dubbed episodes in many countries including the US.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
What could save the anime is if WB acquires Legendary and the two become production partners of the show, expanding their involvement beyond the American media franchise that so far only has Detective Pikachu.

That won't do anything. Legendary doesn't have any rights to the anime.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I hope it's just a delay of a few years. And a Gen 9 anime should retire Ash if he wins the Masters 8.
Ash is not going to be retired. Regardless of the outcome of the Master Class, he's way too iconic and marketable for them to replace now.

I've heard about the production problems for the anime. They've had four recap episodes within a short span of time, so even before the tweet came out, that was a huge red flag. I'm still pretty sure that we're going to get a new anime series though. With Journeys itself, there's really not much left for them to do. Ash's goal throughout this series has to get another battle with Leon and that's exactly what he'll get regardless of the outcome of the match itself. They aren't going to restart the PWC and Ash defending his title forever if he does win doesn't really fit him or the anime. They already wrapped up Chloe's storyline and they just need to deal with Project Mew to finish Goh's storyline. I don't think that the anime will just continue to have Ash and Goh travel between different regions with Paldea thrown into the mix.

Given the production problems and the fact that the match against Leon is going to be four episodes, I do expect that the new series won't be out until December. It might be delayed until January too. It's also possible that they didn't want to announce the new series if it spoils the outcome of the match. It is still concerning that they haven't announced a new series since we usually know about well before now, but I'm sure that we'll still have an anime to tie in with the newest generation. It just might be delayed due to their production problems.

Vuxovich

I'm not sure where else to post this, but this is the most recent Pokemon thread I could find. If you feel this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

Due to staff shortages and production issues, there may not be a Gen 9 anime.

1665786753217878.png
So that means: This is the end of the long-running Pokémon anime?

Light Lucario

Staff member
So that means: This is the end of the long-running Pokémon anime?
No, there's nothing to confirm that the anime is going to end. Production problems aren't new for an anime studio and I'm sure that this isn't the first time for OLM either. This just explains why they've been relying on clip show episodes for the past few months.

PF9

I mean if they retired Ash with a win in the Masters 8, they could have an epilogue episode set 8 years later with him at 18 going off to serve in the Kanto Army. There would be a huge send-off party featuring all of Ash's travel companions over the years plus numerous others he knows. It would be too much to cram in a half-hour, it would be best as an hour-long special.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I mean if they retired Ash with a win in the Masters 8, they could have an epilogue episode set 8 years later with him at 18 going off to serve in the Kanto Army. There would be a huge send-off party featuring all of Ash's travel companions over the years plus numerous others he knows. It would be too much to cram in a half-hour, it would be best as an hour-long special.
They aren't going to retire Ash, they aren't going to have an epilogue set in a timeskip and they definitely aren't going to include something like the army in the Pokemon anime, let alone have the main character actually join it. I still don't know if Ash is going to win against Leon. I think it could go either way or possibly a draw, but regardless of the outcome, Ash is going to be the main character.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Apparently it’s finally happened (especially if you didn’t count Sun & Moon): Ash finally won a major league in the latest episode! Even the official Pokémon Twitter account acknowledged it.

They apparently went all out with the final episode of the Ash vs Leon fight; every single one of Ash’s travel companions got at least a cameo, all of Ash’s previous Pokémon (even Larvitar) appeared, and they played the original Japanese theme song. Only a handful of episodes are left in the season, which will probably constitute an epilogue to the arc.

EDIT: Even major entertainment companies are covering the historic win.

PF9

From the titles of episodes yet to air, this really could be it for Ash. I really want that timeskip epilogue special with him joining the army at 18.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Apparently it’s finally happened (especially if you didn’t count Sun & Moon): Ash finally won a major league in the latest episode! Even the official Pokémon Twitter account acknowledged it.

They apparently went all out with the final episode of the Ash vs Leon fight; every single one of Ash’s travel companions got at least a cameo, all of Ash’s previous Pokémon (even Larvitar) appeared, and they played the original Japanese theme song. Only a handful of episodes are left in the season, which will probably constitute an epilogue to the arc.

EDIT: Even major entertainment companies are covering the historic win.
I'm not sure why people wouldn't count SM when Ash winning the Alola League also caught a lot of attention. I am surprised that the official Pokemon Twitter account acknowledged it since they were more subtle about the Alola League by comparison. But with major news outlets announcing the outcome, maybe they didn't think it was necessary to do that again.

Personally, I have a bit more mixed feelings on this than I did with the Alola League. I still need to post my episode reviews for Journeys, but the World Championship has been one of my biggest issues with the series. I think it has been poorly handled with terrible structure, especially for its first half, and I have a lot of issues with Ash's Journeys team, which says a lot considering he has a Lucario. But dang it, seeing people being excited over Ash's victory, saying that he's the very best that no one ever was, got me. I do like seeing people being happy about the anime, which still feels rare and was a big appeal for the Alola League victory for me. Seeing Ash struggling to hold that huge trophy, only for his Pokemon to help him and pose alongside him is sweet too. It shows off their personalities and it is a happy moment even with my issues with the tournament and his team.

From the titles of episodes yet to air, this really could be it for Ash. I really want that timeskip epilogue special with him joining the army at 18.
I highly doubt that they're going to replace Ash. He is way too iconic and recognizable for them to replace. They aren't going to do a time skip and they definitely aren't going to have Ash join the army at all.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts