Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

The Overlord

I just want to say, The Simpsons was wrong in calling Stan Smith a copy of a copy. He and Peter Griffin are nothing alike, except being father and husband figures voiced by Seth McFarlane.

If anything, I think The Simpsons resented Fox greenlighting other animated shows. That's probably what most of their beef with Family Guy was, jealousy and fear of being replaced.

I feel like Stan is definitely more competent than rather Homer or Peter, he seems somewhat good at his job. Stan has huge mental blind spots and is not a good person, but Stan being more of a political commentary character makes him different than Homer or Peter. If the Simpsons wanted to say Peter Griffin is a Homer knockoff, I can agree with that, but Stan seems more like a smarter Archie Bunker.

khuddle

There are things I like about Invincible- mainly how it subverts certain superhero tropes, but yeah, the gore is a turn-off. Maybe I'm just getting sensitive/less tolerant of it in my old age.

EDIT: Reflecting some more, I don't think all of it has to do with age. Part of it may be a case of expectations. Obviously I expect something like Mortal Kombat to be gory. I don't usually associate the superhero genre with it. Again, subverting superhero tropes.

Yeah, I was just thinking this myself, in many way the MK Legends series is just as gory, but there its happening to villains, or faceless henchmen, or mythical creatures ie. individuals you just don't care about. In Invincible, its these ruthless, sadistic Viltrumites picking on innocent, everyday, normal folk. And not picking off a straggler or two, but killing huge swathes of human beings. Its a little too much for me to take.

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
After seeing DiC (and specifically an interview with its former VP Robby London) mentioned in another thread , I'm reminded that I think its a bit of a shame that neither London nor former DiC head Andy Heyward were interviewed for the Real Ghostbusters DVD set Time-Life put out in 2008. They might have had interesting things to say and share. I know that year marked the end of DiC upon being sold to (and essentially dissolved into) Cookie Jar Entertainment, but there almost certainly had to be something Ghostbusters-related in whatever was left of DiC's archives by then. Alas.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Yeah, I was just thinking this myself, in many way the MK Legends series is just as gory, but there its happening to villains, or faceless henchmen, or mythical creatures ie. individuals you just don't care about. In Invincible, its these ruthless, sadistic Viltrumites picking on innocent, everyday, normal folk. And not picking off a straggler or two, but killing huge swathes of human beings. Its a little too much for me to take.

I think what is too gory or not depends on one's tastes. I have mostly been desensitized due to watching a ton of Grindhouse horror movies, but I did find the train scene somewhat shocking.

Pooky

Staff member
Generally speaking I find animated gore more unpleasant than gore in live action movies. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it still feels more unexpected or somehow taboo.

Invincible is like The Boys in that yes I am somewhat put off by some of what I hear about the content, but the main reason I don't watch them is that we are oversaturated with superhero content already, I don't find "the gritty antidote" that appealing. The best antidote to a superhero film or tv show would be something completely different.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Generally speaking I find animated gore more unpleasant than gore in live action movies. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it still feels more unexpected or somehow taboo.
I think it's because, in live action, you know it's a special effect. (unless it's a snuff film or something)

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
As an addendum to my earlier comments, The Simpsons' producers have always kind of felt sort of entitled, like they're above the Fox rabble, a notion pointed out in Family Guy, when Joe told Peter the Simpsons characters wouldn't see them as peers.

I once read that being told by Fox the first time the Simpsons Halloween episode wouldn't air until after Halloween because of sports, Matt Groening was upset. More like "yelling and screaming in his office" upset. Which is understandable, but if true, it shows how childish and entitled Hollywood people can be.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
FOX is a abhorrent platform to be on but Brooks + Groening got tipped off exceptionally well.

The only time MacFarlane really showed his ass with Simpsons was when he insinuated James L Brooks had power in removing a prolonged gag of Quagmire attacking Marge.

As if FOX wasn’t already cutting numerous Family Guy jokes on the regular at the time. And maybe showing a cartoon character being assaulted in that way was just a bizarre thing to air lol.

I’m less trigger-happy to call pre revival FG a Simpsons clone than most (even though I get it) because there was always a blend of multiple inspirations even with the earliest stuff in ‘99.

The several jokes surrounding Brady Bunch, Happy Days and All in The Family felt like more of a clear homage rather than referencing just for the sake of referencing.

Family Guy at one point in time had its own affection for source material that wasn’t exclusive to just The Simpsons.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I never understood this bit. What was the joke there? What was supposed to be funny about it?
Seth just described it as “well, Simpsons took some shots at us, so...”

Even though he denies there ever being a real feud, so I actually don’t know what the joke stems from or why it was necessary.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Seth just described it as “well, Simpsons took some shots at us, so...”

Even though he denies there ever being a real feud, so I actually don’t know what the joke stems from or why it was necessary.
So having one of his rapist characters attack Marge and kill the family makes them... even, I guess? Even if I were dumb enough to believe that, it still doesn't explain what is remotely funny about the "joke". If Seth wanted to take fire at The Simpsons, would it kill him to like, put in an effort, and even make it funny enough to put the audience on the show's side? After all The Simpsons has unfairly dragged the show on it wouldn't be THAT hard to do.

Not to get too political, but during this era of the show was when leftists, Democrats, and progressives were repeatedly frustrated by the show's toothless, supposed leftwing messages for similar reasons. South Park would make their ridiculous strawman arguments and false talking points seem rational and believable enough to people not well-versed in the topics it explored. It knew how to win over people on the fence, which is a cool trick since its messages were usually WRONG. However, MacFarlane's idea of biting political commentary at the time boiled down to "Der her, creationists are retarded." Forget the fact that he's proving nothing about the supposed superiority of his ideals. How is that even funny?

I imagine Seth MacFarlane was a bully in high school. I also don't imagine he was a particularly smart or witty one.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
The Simpsons crew has always come off as entitled, especially compared to other animated series. You'll notice this in particular when you listen to a commentary for an Emmy-nominated episode, that they'll come off as flabbergasted that anything else could possibly beat them. Sorry guys, but "A Pinky and the Brain Christmas" was better and more award-worthy than "Treehouse of Horror VI".

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
You know, looking back, The Simpsons crew being entitled kind of started to rear its head with "A Star Is Burns". with Matt Groening taking his name off the episode, all because he didn't want to do a crossover with The Critic.

As if that was a hill to die on.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
MacFarlane's idea of biting political commentary at the time boiled down to "Der her, creationists are retarded." Forget the fact that he's proving nothing about the supposed superiority of his ideals. How is that even funny?

He made this disgraced atheist and democrat blush from time to time, so I might not be the right answer you’re looking for.

No other show on FOX television would challenge the ever so drowning book of Christianity, nor the views of the shareholders in the way that Family Guy sometimes did. (When the gag could land)

Simpsons had “Homer The Heretic” that fueled my god-hating desires and that was about it.

I’m fond of something that really doesn’t matter anymore, and I obviously don’t think every single joke from FG stands the time but I still have a few things to appreciate.

It’s an incredibly stupid show, though. But I don’t think any cartoon will have 100% flawless commentary without any hiccups. People are very timorous about that.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You know, looking back, The Simpsons crew being entitled kind of started to rear its head with "A Star Is Burns". with Matt Groening taking his name off the episode, all because he didn't want to do a crossover with The Critic.

That was red flag really. Do you know what pisses me off? He didn't show up for the commentary. The one episode we really WANTED him for he was too busy for.

He made this disgraced atheist and democrat blush from time to time, so I might not be the right answer you’re looking for.

No other show on FOX television would challenge the ever so drowning book of Christianity, nor the views of the shareholders in the way that Family Guy sometimes did. (When the gag could land)

Simpsons had “Homer The Heretic” that fueled my god-hating desires and that was about it.

I’m fond of something that really doesn’t matter anymore, and I obviously don’t think every single joke from FG stands the time but I still have a few things to appreciate.

It’s an incredibly stupid show, though. But I don’t think any cartoon will have 100% flawless commentary without any hiccups. People are very timorous about that.
I don't think I'm explaining myself well. I would very much approve of Family Guy taking down every inch of religion if it had a mind to. My objection is that its jibes against issues like that are surface deep, not actually jokes, and lazy as hell. I would LOVE it if Family Guy had done the kind of religious debunking American Dad did in their Noah's Ark episode.

It's not like the show hasn't improved on that front over the years. I laughed hard during the Nativity episode where Peter as Joseph ask Lois as Mary how God got her pregnant because when she explains it it sort of makes sense, but when he tells the guys at work they poke all sorts of holes in it. That was sublime.

I want THAT. Not "Creationists are retarded. Der her."

Darklordavaitor

Staff member

That does bug me too, especially because

1- The episode itself turned out pretty good. Even if you're not a fan of The Critic or Jay Sherman, it has a lot to offer, with more than a couple of classic moments. "I said the quiet part out loud" has entered our lexicon for a reason.

2- Groening had seemingly less concern with later crossovers. Not only the Family Guy and Futurama specials done a decade ago, but even the season after "A Star is Burns", he showed no concern over Mulder and Scully having extended cameos in "The Springfield Files". Really, you have less of a problem with The X-Files crossing over than the series made by your former showrunners?

[classic swim]

SwimShady
Groening had seemingly less concern with later crossovers. Not only the Family Guy and Futurama specials done a decade ago

To be fair, both creators had an infinite amount of fortune by the time stuff like Simpsons Guy and Simpsorama finally saw the light of day officially.

Both creators presumably went their separate ways by that point or just couldn’t bother to care about the status of either shows.

Simpsons Guy is thematically worse than A Star is Burns because it’s just an hour long special rehashing scenarios already brought on by 2006 internet.

As crabby and unlikable as he is, Harry Shearer had the balls to point out laziness. He could continue saying as much after he had them extend his pockets. He’s slithery, but he doesn’t have to pretend he’s not.

But yeah, I remember The Critic thing and it told its own story well without needing to put too much thought into who Jay Sherman is.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts