Latest News & Videos

dumbfoolkid5

Apr 15, 2012
New Orleans LA. US
Think about it The Silverhawks, Ghostbusters both shows and Galaxy Rangers. Don't you think that year was an innovative one bringing such interesting concepts to the weekday afternoon lineup? What do you think?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Think about it The Silverhawks, Ghostbusters both shows and Galaxy Rangers. Don't you think that year was an innovative one bringing such interesting concepts to the weekday afternoon lineup? What do you think?
That year was probably when the 80's weekday cartoon phenomenon reached critical mass. For me,80's weekday cartoons truly kicked off with the success of He-Man in the Fall of 1983 (it was the start of the rise of syndicated cartoon shows).

By 1986, the market was flooded (Thundercats, GI Joe, Transformers, She-Ra, M.A.S.K., etc) but now this year adds on Silverhawks, Real Ghostbusters, and Galaxy Rangers, (and Dennis the Menace and others)...the problem with so much content available is that you would end up missing out on some good stuff - I never even got to see Galaxy Rangers (I guess something else was on a different channel that I watched instead, in retrospect).

1986 was still prior to Disney getting in on the act in 1987/1988 (with "Duck Tales" and "Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers") and it was also just prior to the launch of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles phenomenon. Also, if early 80's cartoons reflected Atari and the Arcade Games era (with cartoons like "Dragon's Lair" and "Pole Position", etc), the later 80's cartoons would reflect the rise of Nintendo (with cartoons like "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" and "Captain N the Games Master"). But that was yet to come after 1986.

I guess 1986 was the kick off of the last half this wonderful decade of cartoons, but it would all come crashing to a halt by 1990 (definitely by 1991)...