Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Platypus Comix Covers The 1986 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!
I'm just as surprised as you I got this done on time. I mean, it's barely on time, but for a while there was a good chance I was going to shove this in the drawer for 2019. I pushed through, though.

To head off two questions I know I'll get at the pass:
There's nothing really wrong with the Betty Boop balloon
The clip of Victoria Jackson with the ukelele was not part of the parade and aired in 1990, not 1986. 1990 was the brief window of time when the Ha! Channel existed.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
"...and he'd get a tweet from the President calling him a 'wonderful man.'" Funny you should mention that as Pat Sajak owns two conservative radio stations in Maryland and doesn't believe in climate change.
They had a few presidential appearances in the 80's, all the way up to the first Clinton year. Speaking of which I died at the last paragraph.

This year's parade was pretty good. I was expecting the commentary to be a love-or-hate affair but Hoda blended in very well in her first year. Also loved the Don't Rain On My Parade intro, the Go Bowling interlude and the montage of movies and TV shows that mentioned the parade. (I'd include Barenaked Ladies and their performance of the terminally Neil Cicierega-linked "One Week" up there but they sang it live and there was a few hiccups in the performance, not to mention that they skipped the "flying off the back swing" part). There was even at least one Fortnite Dance (when Diana Ross sang you could see one of her kids doing the Floss during a wide shot). But my favorite part was when the three hosts wore cowboy hats in homage to the recently departed Jean McFaddin.

Jun 5, 2017
Ratings
This year's parade was pretty good. I was expecting the commentary to be a love-or-hate affair but Hoda blended in very well in her first year. Also loved the Don't Rain On My Parade intro, the Go Bowling interlude and the montage of movies and TV shows that mentioned the parade. (I'd include Barenaked Ladies and their performance of the terminally Neil Cicierega-linked "One Week" up there but they sang it live and there was a few hiccups in the performance, not to mention that they skipped the "flying off the back swing" part). There was even at least one Fortnite Dance (when Diana Ross sang you could see one of her kids doing the Floss during a wide shot). But my favorite part was when the three hosts wore cowboy hats in homage to the recently departed Jean McFaddin.
AND they got Dino's name right.

Aug 21, 2010
Ratings
Great Meadows, NJ
Should be noted that Pat Sajak was actually working for NBC, as the daytime Wheel was still on NBC at this point (it moved to CBS in 1989, then back to NBC again before expiring in 1991, having switched hosts twice in that period). His talks how was for CBS in 89-90, and there was even a segment where he wandered downstairs to studio 33 at Television City where a daytime Wheel taping with CBS/NBC-era host Bob Goen was in progress.