“My Little Pony: A New Generation” Pre-release News & Discussion

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
There’s not a whole lot of info at the moment, but the release date was announced today, so I thought I’d start a thread on this. Hasbro and Paramount are releasing a new My Little Pony movie. It’s been scheduled for a September 24, 2021 release date.

As previously mentioned, not much is known, but it won’t be a sequel to the 2017 movie.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Hmmm. This is interesting. I wonder if it will feature G5 characters? Perhaps this is a way for Hasbro to introduce its next MLP installment since FiM just ended last month.

VG_Addict

We FINALLY got some information on the upcoming MLP gen.

The Friendship is Magic series may be riding off into the sunset, but My Little Pony is saddling up for a new era with Entertainment One. Hasbro has big plans for the franchise, including consumer products tied to the upcoming feature film and a new animated series, My Little Pony: Pony Life.

Following Hasbro’s December 2019 acquisition of Entertainment One, the toymaker appointed eOne as its global entertainment arm just in time to help launch Pony Life. The 2D toon bowed in late 2020 on platforms like Disney Channel and Cartoon Network.

The upcoming CG-animated movie, meanwhile, is slated for a September 2021 release and will mark the start of the brand’s transformation—now under the purview of eOne. Not only will new pony characters be featured in the film, they will also boast a new CG look. The introduction of new characters and a departure from designs featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life is intended to shift the brand’s focus to more modern themes like diversity and inclusion.

“The final season [of Friendship is Magic] brought that storytelling to a satisfying conclusion, and it felt like the right time to close that chapter of Pony history,” says Emily Thompson, VP of global brand management for eOne (previously VP of entertainment production and development for Hasbro). “Generation Alpha has a higher emotional intelligence, and they expect a lot more from their entertainment. We know it’s important to Gen Alpha that they see their peer groups represented in their entertainment, and that shaped how we built our core cast.”

The movie’s main character, for example, is an activist working to make the pony world a better place. My Little Pony will be one of Hasbro’s biggest initiatives in 2021, says Casey Collins, SVP and GM of global consumer products.

• Creative
Reactions: CNC

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It looks like Hasbro will be having their version of Toy Fair on February 25, so maybe we’ll get more then.

unknown.png

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
This could have been an even bigger year for Paramount regarding animated movies if they had decided to release The Loud House Movie in theaters.

Depending on the status of the pandemic, I just might go see the MLP movie, I have several MLP shirts.

I also have several TLH shirts that I wanted to wear when going to see TLH Movie in theaters, but it's going on Netflix instead.

Of course, the MLP movie just might be delayed, which would buy me more time to get past my hesitance to go out in the middle of a pandemic.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Depending on the status of the pandemic, I just might go see the MLP movie, I have several MLP shirts.

Of course, the MLP movie just might be delayed, which would buy me more time to get past my hesitance to go out in the middle of a pandemic.
The upcoming MLP movie is not out until this September. I'm sure it won't get delayed. Did you read about Johnson & Johnson's vaccine earlier today?

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I don't know about a delay, but it's going to skip theaters and go straight to Netflix. No clear release date, though.

The same article also has some crew info.
Robb Cullen and Jose Ucha directed the upcoming installment with Mark Fattibene. Cecil Kramer and Peter Lewis served as producers.

EDIT: They probably meant Robert Cullen, not Robb Cullen.

Last edited:

PF9

They should have just waited a year to put it in theaters. I mean they already took away me going to see The Loud House Movie in theaters.

Another reason why things shouldn't be rushed?

The 40 minor league baseball teams that lost their major league affiliations didn't get a chance to play a farewell season because Major League Baseball was so adamant that the changes take place in 2021, even if no minor league games were played in 2020. Nor did the Wichita Wind Surge get a chance to play a season as a Triple-A team before being demoted to Double A. But I do believe karma will eventually catch up with MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.

I think the takeaway is that Paramount is too skittish to release animated movies into theaters if they are not SpongeBob movies.

The theaters should say to the studio, "we won't screen any more SpongeBob movies until you actually get more non-SpongeBob cartoon movies in theaters successfully, perhaps 10 such movies."

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
They should have just waited a year to put it in theaters. I mean they already took away me going to see The Loud House Movie in theaters.

Another reason why things shouldn't be rushed?

The 40 minor league baseball teams that lost their major league affiliations didn't get a chance to play a farewell season because Major League Baseball was so adamant that the changes take place in 2021, even if no minor league games were played in 2020. Nor did the Wichita Wind Surge get a chance to play a season as a Triple-A team before being demoted to Double A. But I do believe karma will eventually catch up with MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.

I think the takeaway is that Paramount is too skittish to release animated movies into theaters if they are not SpongeBob movies.

The theaters should say to the studio, "we won't screen any more SpongeBob movies until you actually get more non-SpongeBob cartoon movies in theaters successfully, perhaps 10 such movies."
Paramount was only the distributor. eOne, the film's producer, is the one that makes the decisions on the film, and selling it to Netflix was their decision, not Paramount's.

PF9

Paramount was only the distributor. eOne, the film's producer, is the one that makes the decisions on the film, and selling it to Netflix was their decision, not Paramount's.
Didn't know that. Still, a huge blow to my hopeful return to theaters. I last went to a theater to see Avengers: Endgame, which was the last time I went to a movie with my dad before he died. I have seen a few movies on my own though, including MLP 2017 and Detective Pikachu.

I hope there is at least a theatrical sequel to mark the 40th anniversary of MLP.

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Some plot details and an image have released.
In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny -- a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony -- is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world, but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit. When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian. Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies. The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even little ponies can make a big difference.

There will also be a series slated for Netflix taking place after the events of the film,

Perla Magica

Digital Love
Judging by the image, I think the movie will be set in modern day world, we got the pony figures based on Mane 6 and pins with Mane 6's cutie marks, think about it.

I'm optimistic for this CGI movie, especially how cute it can be.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A friend of mine recorded Hasbro’s investor stream and uploaded the relevant parts. She left out the audio because she accidentally left her mic on (don’t worry, no new info was revealed), but there is a look at the animation and the toys.

Also, I’ve seen some sources refer to the TV series as My Little Pony G5 series, but that’s probably placeholder and not the actual title.

EDIT: This animation in this video seems a bit more jumpy than it actually is.

EDIT #2: Middle left to right, Izzy Moonbow and Sunny Starscout.

Last edited:

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
More characters revealed.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a title for the G5 movie!

(Look under, "Family").

Maybe that’s it’s title in Malaysia. According to Boulder Media’s website, the title is A New Generation.

I’m going to update the thread title to that.

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The voice cast has been revealed. It's also still coming out on September 24.

Vanessa Hudgens voices Sunny, Kimiko Glenn voices Izzy, James Marsden voices Hitch, Sofia Carson voices Pipp, and Liza Koshy voices Zipp.

EDIT: Even more casting info. Found this on Phil LaMarr's Twitter.
image0.jpg

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts