Could Disney Plus Content Air On Disney XD?

SweetShop209

The Cable Forum revealed a few days ago that 101 Dalmatian Street will be premiering on Disney XD here in America starting Monday March 29 at 8:00am. The show first came out in the UK in December 2018 before coming out in other European countries in 2019 before coming to Disney Plus in the United States last year on February 28. This made me wonder if other Disney Plus shows* will eventually air on Disney XD. The channel is currently in a drought, what with Big Hero 6 The Series having ended last month and DuckTales ending tomorrow, Marvel's Spiderman ending and upcoming Marvel content not being made for the channel, and the only show that seems to still be airing new episodes is Beyblade (an acquired property). I wouldn't be surprised if they got a bunch of Disney Plus content and passed it off as new to generate viewership. What do you think?

* When I say Disney Plus shows, it's both those aired on TV in other countries but made their American debut on the service (Legend Of The Three Caballeros, Marvel: Future Avengers) or those developed specifically for the service (like Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 7 or The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse).

Dragnatek

I have been thinking about this too. They have nothing for Disney XD. Airing some Disney + shows, after those shows have been on the service for a while anyway, will give them more content. Not original content but the next best thing.

Disney XD is a pretty pointless channel right now.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Well, sure. I don't see why not? I'm mean, after Ducktales was over, I guess Disney XD was trying to find new ways to keep themselves relevant. So I don't blame them if they want to put their streaming animated content on the channel.

Also, it could be very interesting if 101 Dalmatian Street does very well, then it'll might cause a snowball effect that streaming shows on Disney Plus could end up being reran on Disney Channel and Disney Junior.

Will it work out? Who knows. Anything could happen.

Francisque

I don't think Disney XD will last much longer. It's closing down everywhere so they probably don't have any future plans for it.
Yes and no

US is very tight on channel closures.. because of a strict market with deals on cable companies and all, it's better often to just continue to run the "damn thing" than closing it down

Said that, the emphasis will be less and less on Disney XD, I expect

Toonatic

I welcome the idea of Disney+ shows on linear TV. There are people who actually prefer regular TV over streaming and airing 101 Dalmatian Street can actually benefit Disney XD.

If this works, it may convince Disney to keep doing it in the future.

Francisque

But I don't see it Disney ever doing such a thing..

Disney+ is clearly a hit, so why they should put their clearly streaming-intended content on Disney XD? Some of it length-wise is probably not even intended to have some adverts on it.

If it's for streaming it's not for linear services

101Dalmatian Street was never intended to be a Disney+ exclusive, it actually was broadcast on many European operations

RegularCapital

Staff member
Disney XD is being phased out worldwide, the only other remaining versions of Disney XD in the world are ones that Disney don't own (Canada, which is licenced and will likely close when the branding and content licence expires) or fully own (Poland) or formed with a joint-venture with another channel that timeshares with it (Netherlands). The reason why they're likely closing these last is because of the complex legal process, but its inevitable that they'll close soon. The only exception is the Latin American version, which will likely close at the same time of the U.S. version, which makes me think the Americas is the last place for the shutdown.

Disney XD is not a brand on Disney+ either, unlike Disney Channel and Disney Junior it doesn't have a collections sub-section. However, there is an "unofficial" one if you search for "Disney XD" as some shows have been tagged as such.

As for 101 Dalmatian Street finally airing on Disney XD USA, I think this maybe a burn-off of excess programming before the channel eventually closes. The channel will disappear from each pay-TV provider as soon as the carriage deal expires.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I guess that they could technically do this, but I honestly don't see why they would. Disney+ is a huge hit for them and they wouldn't want to potentially make people less interested in signing up for it if some of their shows could air on a TV channel like Disney XD. Aside from having special sneak peek events, like what they did for the High School Musical the Musical the Series, I don't think it would be something that they'd want to do regularly.

Besides that, I don't see them putting any effort into Disney XD going further. It's a secondary channel available only for certain cable packages and not available in as many households compared to the main Disney Channel. Even though a rerun channel is a bit outdated in the age of streaming, they could just keep it as such instead of finding more original programming for the channel. I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually shut down Disney XD as well. It is easily the most expendable Disney Channel and they could better use the resources for Disney+ and the main Disney Channel instead.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I think Disney XD should rebrand as a Disney+ TV channel.
Migrate the originals on the streaming app over to the TV channel after a period of time. In fact, well over a year has already passed since the service launched, so a bunch of new shows could enter the lineup already.

FTPC

I would like to see the bad batch on xd or The Mandalorian or would that go against the fcc and the XD standards for the network content

SweetShop209

I would like to see the bad batch on xd or The Mandalorian or would that go against the fcc and the XD standards for the network content
I could see the shows airing on the network, but mainly in late night hours, like no earlier than at least 8:30pm.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Does anyone know if they edited High School Musical: The Musical: The Series when they did that season-one marathon? I remember the promo saying it would be TV-PG and a "general audience" program. There's not too much to edit other than some mild language (the first episode has the word "hell" and a bleeped out curse in it that was also used in the trailer).

The Mandalorian is officially TV-14 so they might have more trouble showing that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts