Animation on FOX Talkback 2020-2021 (Spoilers)

Which show are you looking forward to?

• Total voters

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
There wasn't rain today though.

But next time there is rain, use Fox Business to air the remainder of the race. FS1 and FS2 have their own commitments.

Fortunately, next week's race is in Las Vegas. It rarely rains in Vegas.

For the record, I prefer IndyCar, but there is only one IndyCar race I really care about - the Indy 500.

ShadowBlinky

I won't lie; I'm tempted to say that Bless The Harts was the best episode tonight for the Anita Baker song alone. :cool:

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I just had to laugh at the sheer audacity Family Guy displayed by playing the entire intro to The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show. And Peter going "No, No!" when they started playing it again.

Corwin Haught

No there are new episodes today March 7 14 and 21. That’s just March 21’s schedule.

This poster drops the listings press releases as they come in. If you look back earlier in the thread, you'll see that Mo has been posting listings for the last few weeks (albeit the ones that were made inaccurate by the Daytona 500 rain delays).

Orange Mo

orangemo
@Corwin Haught I don't like it when people call me just "Mo". It pisses me off. I'm not mad at you. Just telling you that I prefer to go as the full username of orangemo.

I won't lie; I'm tempted to say that Bless The Harts was the best episode tonight for the Anita Baker song alone. :cool:
I thought I was the only one who liked Bless the Harts

BOB'S BURGERS – “Die Card, or Card Trying” Review
BobsBurgers_1010_DieCardOrCardTrying_A10_Promo_05.jpg

I liked seeing Bob make juice as a new hobby. Homemade juice can be so good! And no, Jamba Juice is not the same as homemade juice. Homemade juice is a nice change in taste than the processed concentrate stuff. Why can't I enjoy both. It's good to have a variety of food. Linda was very dedicated to getting a good picture. The episode in the third act was a lot of dramatic fun. Louise is really smart. I enjoyed this.

7.5/10

BLESS THE HARTS – “Big Pimpin'” Review

BlessTheHarts_208_BigPimpin_120120_Still005.jpg

Bless the Harts continues to shake things up on Animation Domination with more, out there episodes, and “Big Pimpin'” is no exception. The second season of the show is taking more risks and isn’t afraid to dig into more darker themes than the other shows on the block. This episode marks a pretty big continuity change for the show, with a recurring character (Louise’s husband Daniel) being killed off (let’s hope they remember to keep him dead).

First off, Betty’s accusations just come out of nowhere and are just silly and nonsensical to the point where it gets her in trouble. Violet and David have some good lines here too and I really enjoyed their podcast and how it became a quick hit. I really enjoyed Betty’s conspiracy theory that Louise killed Daniel, and how Violet and David continue to cash in on Betty’s rambling “murder stories”. It’s good that Betty, Violet, and David face consequences because it’s not okay to falsely accuse people of murder, and I really appreciated when Violet and David just quit when Betty wouldn’t give up her charade.

The main’s plot surprisingly is pretty dark, dealing with the hardships of being a widow, but also comical at the same time. Louise gets some good character development here, and seems to be pretty mature about the situation when Wayne gets upset. We learn here that she gets very clingy when a man spends time with her. The first Black Friday special seems to implicate that, but I wasn’t sure if it was just Daniel. I’m very curious to see what she continues to be throughout the rest of the season.

The episode did start off a bit slow, but really got interesting by the second act with the characters facing their consequences. I liked seeing Brenda and Jenny enjoy their luxuries with their bonuses due to Louise’s good mood. I would have liked to see more of the podcast, because I felt there wasn’t enough. This is a show that could really benefit with a 25 minute run time to let the plots breathe and ease into the next part naturally. I truly advocate for Hulu to pick up this show as a Hulu original if Fox cancels it. This show would work a lot better with an overarching story, although I wouldn’t mind if they did some “sitcom” stuff.

As for funny things, it’s not the funniest episode, far from it; but I would be lying if there were not any funny moments. I liked seeing Brenda drinking tequila at 10am. The reference to Disney Pixar’s Up was great, and this show is also owned by Disney, don’t forget. I also just laughed when Louise was swimming in the mud. And as for a joke I really digged, Betty claims that there are more dead people than plastic, but really it’s the other way around. Seriously guys, recycle.

“Big Pimpin'” is a good example of the second season of Bless the Harts continuing to take more risks. Although it did take a while to get going, both plots kept me hooked, and there were some good montages and funny jokes. I’ve just appreciated how consistent this season is compared to the last. With 13 more episodes left, I’m stoked to see how this second season’s second half will be able to close out. I think we’re only a bit away from approaching one of the show’s best gems.

7.5/10

THE SIMPSONS – “Wad Goals” Review

Wad_Goals_promo_11.png

The Simpsons continues into 2021 with a surprisingly a pretty solid episode. The entire concept of caddies is pretty well done. However, I think the episode took a little too long to get started, a typical problem for many Simpsons episodes recently. The ending is a little rushed and I would want to see what happened to Barry at the end.

Marge’s reasoning for shutting down the golf course isn’t really justified. Many people suck up to their bosses to keep their job. It’s part of life. I don’t think her reasoning was because of that, but more because Bart would spend less time with her. The SJW stuff was very irrelevant and was not necessary at all. The ending is pretty nice though.

Ralph doing that dance at the end was really funny. I wish they showed that during the whole credits.

“Wad Goals” is pretty good. I did like the concept of using tackling how people selling out, but some jokes were pretty boring, and Marge’s reason for not liking Bart being a caddy isn’t executed very well. Still though, with the show on a good sign for 2021, I’m anticipated to see how this season ends.

6.5/10

THE GREAT NORTH “Romantic Meat-Based Adventure” Review

TheGreatNorth_102_RomanticMeat-BasedAdventure_20B_S23_45.jpg

Compared to mainstays like The Simpsons and Bob’s Burgers, The Great North is still Fox’s newest animated series. As such, it’s not as predictable as the other shows on what it can bring out, and this is very refreshing. In addition to a lot of laughs, the plot is also very tight, and well paced. The biggest highlight of this episode is Beef and Judy’s dynamic. We’ve seen in the pilot how their dynamic truly could possibly be the next Bob and Louise, however, I also think it’s a little different, in a good way.

Both of them share the fear of getting back out there again, and for good reasons. Beef is still saddened that his wife Kathleen left him for another man, and is also worried that he will be rejected. And Judy is still reluctant to kiss another guy after what happened when a boy’s hair got stuck into her braces when they tries to kiss.

Moon’s plot about teaching a bird how to is a light, yet amusing. I like how inserted into nature he is, and it provides some pretty funny moments. I also appreciated how this show tackles continuity. Judy actually continues to work at the mall, and she acknowledged that her dad has been trying to move on from Kathleen (Beef’s ex-wife). It’s nice to see this show continue to hit right out of the gate. Unlike Duncanville and Bless the Harts, where they took a few episodes before finding their strides, this show will only continue to get better. I’m very impressed with what we’ve gotten so far out of these few episodes. It only gives me hope for the rest of season 1.

“Romantic Meat-Based Adventure” is a great episode of this new rookie show. I think The Great North will continue to be a mainstay on the Fox animated lineup. The show’s been renewed for a second season, so we will be seeing more of the Tobin’s for a while. The show’s only going to continue to get better, and hopefully, it can be of the same quality of Bob’s Burgers at its peak in its second season, and hopefully more.

8/10

FAMILY GUY – “And Then There’s Fraud” Review

kacx10.jpg

Family Guy is a pretty difficult show to review, mainly because it’s mostly a sketch comedy. This season of Family Guy has been very miss, in my opinion. And unfortunately, this is one of the worst episodes of the season. The cutaways are all terrible. The story is wafer-thin. The Meg abuse is just stupid and overdone. The part with Peter and Chris losing their heads was unfunny and just a way to insert pointless gore. Peter’s plot was fine, but was taken down by all the awful jokes. And the Stewie plot with him getting plastic surgery was really boring and lazy. Oh, and more pointless gore with Meg cutting her foot just to escape. The Meg abuse is just stupid, overdone, and painfully unfunny now. It was funny maybe the first or second time, then it got old and the writers have never let it go. And I don’t believe they can’t write for a teenage girl because they have female writers on the show. Emily Towers, for example, was the head writer for the terrible “Better off Meg”, a Meg focused episode that had a lot of potential to be good, but instead did a 180 and made Chris into one of the most unlikeable characters in animation and reinforced that the writers cannot accept change and character development.

And that Hudson brothers montage was basically a repetition of the infamous Conway Twitty gag and was solely used to fill time. The entire thing took almost 2 whole minutes. It makes no sense to me that the writers do stuff like this. It just proves they don’t have any original jokes to tell. At least with the other awful cutaways and jokes, they attempt to try something and it doesn’t click. But gags like these and Conway Twitty are just lazy writing at its finest.

I can recall a few moments I smiled at. Notice I said smiled, not laughed. I was amused by these and nothing more. The first moment was when Stewie thought he was old, because 3 years old is certainly not old. The second moment was when Joe trying to make Peter buy expensive gum to let Chris use the bathroom, although it got lame quickly when he had to repeat the numbers. The third moment was when Dr. Hartman thought plastic surgery Stewie was Daryl Hannah, and the fourth moment was when Stewie’s skin fell off during his portrait.

“And Then There’s Fraud” is not only a bad episode of modern Family Guy, it’s also one of the laziest episodes the show has ever done. The story is wafer-thin, there’s almost no jokes that work, and the writers even had to insert a lot of those jokes that take too long just to fill time, like the Hudson brothers performance. This entire season has been mostly a miss, and if it keeps going, this might be the worst season of the show since the terrible and controversial season 12. I really am a fan of Family Guy, and a true fan knows when the show is in decline, to the point where it becomes unwatchable.

2/10

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
@Corwin Haught I don't like it when people call me just "Mo". It pisses me off. I'm not mad at you. Just telling you that I prefer to go as the full username of orangemo.

I thought I was the only one who liked Bless the Harts

BOB'S BURGERS – “Die Card, or Card Trying” Review
View attachment 286073

I liked seeing Bob make juice as a new hobby. Homemade juice can be so good! And no, Jamba Juice is not the same as homemade juice. Homemade juice is a nice change in taste than the processed concentrate stuff. Why can't I enjoy both. It's good to have a variety of food. Linda was very dedicated to getting a good picture. The episode in the third act was a lot of dramatic fun. Louise is really smart. I enjoyed this.

7.5/10

BLESS THE HARTS – “Big Pimpin'” Review

View attachment 286074
Bless the Harts continues to shake things up on Animation Domination with more, out there episodes, and “Big Pimpin'” is no exception. The second season of the show is taking more risks and isn’t afraid to dig into more darker themes than the other shows on the block. This episode marks a pretty big continuity change for the show, with a recurring character (Louise’s husband Daniel) being killed off (let’s hope they remember to keep him dead).

First off, Betty’s accusations just come out of nowhere and are just silly and nonsensical to the point where it gets her in trouble. Violet and David have some good lines here too and I really enjoyed their podcast and how it became a quick hit. I really enjoyed Betty’s conspiracy theory that Louise killed Daniel, and how Violet and David continue to cash in on Betty’s rambling “murder stories”. It’s good that Betty, Violet, and David face consequences because it’s not okay to falsely accuse people of murder, and I really appreciated when Violet and David just quit when Betty wouldn’t give up her charade.

The main’s plot surprisingly is pretty dark, dealing with the hardships of being a widow, but also comical at the same time. Louise gets some good character development here, and seems to be pretty mature about the situation when Wayne gets upset. We learn here that she gets very clingy when a man spends time with her. The first Black Friday special seems to implicate that, but I wasn’t sure if it was just Daniel. I’m very curious to see what she continues to be throughout the rest of the season.

The episode did start off a bit slow, but really got interesting by the second act with the characters facing their consequences. I liked seeing Brenda and Jenny enjoy their luxuries with their bonuses due to Louise’s good mood. I would have liked to see more of the podcast, because I felt there wasn’t enough. This is a show that could really benefit with a 25 minute run time to let the plots breathe and ease into the next part naturally. I truly advocate for Hulu to pick up this show as a Hulu original if Fox cancels it. This show would work a lot better with an overarching story, although I wouldn’t mind if they did some “sitcom” stuff.

As for funny things, it’s not the funniest episode, far from it; but I would be lying if there were not any funny moments. I liked seeing Brenda drinking tequila at 10am. The reference to Disney Pixar’s Up was great, and this show is also owned by Disney, don’t forget. I also just laughed when Louise was swimming in the mud. And as for a joke I really digged, Betty claims that there are more dead people than plastic, but really it’s the other way around. Seriously guys, recycle.

“Big Pimpin'” is a good example of the second season of Bless the Harts continuing to take more risks. Although it did take a while to get going, both plots kept me hooked, and there were some good montages and funny jokes. I’ve just appreciated how consistent this season is compared to the last. With 13 more episodes left, I’m stoked to see how this second season’s second half will be able to close out. I think we’re only a bit away from approaching one of the show’s best gems.

7.5/10

THE SIMPSONS – “Wad Goals” Review

View attachment 286075
The Simpsons continues into 2021 with a surprisingly a pretty solid episode. The entire concept of caddies is pretty well done. However, I think the episode took a little too long to get started, a typical problem for many Simpsons episodes recently. The ending is a little rushed and I would want to see what happened to Barry at the end.

Marge’s reasoning for shutting down the golf course isn’t really justified. Many people suck up to their bosses to keep their job. It’s part of life. I don’t think her reasoning was because of that, but more because Bart would spend less time with her. The SJW stuff was very irrelevant and was not necessary at all. The ending is pretty nice though.

Ralph doing that dance at the end was really funny. I wish they showed that during the whole credits.

“Wad Goals” is pretty good. I did like the concept of using tackling how people selling out, but some jokes were pretty boring, and Marge’s reason for not liking Bart being a caddy isn’t executed very well. Still though, with the show on a good sign for 2021, I’m anticipated to see how this season ends.

6.5/10

THE GREAT NORTH “Romantic Meat-Based Adventure” Review

View attachment 286076
Compared to mainstays like The Simpsons and Bob’s Burgers, The Great North is still Fox’s newest animated series. As such, it’s not as predictable as the other shows on what it can bring out, and this is very refreshing. In addition to a lot of laughs, the plot is also very tight, and well paced. The biggest highlight of this episode is Beef and Judy’s dynamic. We’ve seen in the pilot how their dynamic truly could possibly be the next Bob and Louise, however, I also think it’s a little different, in a good way.

Both of them share the fear of getting back out there again, and for good reasons. Beef is still saddened that his wife Kathleen left him for another man, and is also worried that he will be rejected. And Judy is still reluctant to kiss another guy after what happened when a boy’s hair got stuck into her braces when they tries to kiss.

Moon’s plot about teaching a bird how to is a light, yet amusing. I like how inserted into nature he is, and it provides some pretty funny moments. I also appreciated how this show tackles continuity. Judy actually continues to work at the mall, and she acknowledged that her dad has been trying to move on from Kathleen (Beef’s ex-wife). It’s nice to see this show continue to hit right out of the gate. Unlike Duncanville and Bless the Harts, where they took a few episodes before finding their strides, this show will only continue to get better. I’m very impressed with what we’ve gotten so far out of these few episodes. It only gives me hope for the rest of season 1.

“Romantic Meat-Based Adventure” is a great episode of this new rookie show. I think The Great North will continue to be a mainstay on the Fox animated lineup. The show’s been renewed for a second season, so we will be seeing more of the Tobin’s for a while. The show’s only going to continue to get better, and hopefully, it can be of the same quality of Bob’s Burgers at its peak in its second season, and hopefully more.

8/10

FAMILY GUY – “And Then There’s Fraud” Review

View attachment 286077
Family Guy is a pretty difficult show to review, mainly because it’s mostly a sketch comedy. This season of Family Guy has been very miss, in my opinion. And unfortunately, this is one of the worst episodes of the season. The cutaways are all terrible. The story is wafer-thin. The Meg abuse is just stupid and overdone. The part with Peter and Chris losing their heads was unfunny and just a way to insert pointless gore. Peter’s plot was fine, but was taken down by all the awful jokes. And the Stewie plot with him getting plastic surgery was really boring and lazy. Oh, and more pointless gore with Meg cutting her foot just to escape. The Meg abuse is just stupid, overdone, and painfully unfunny now. It was funny maybe the first or second time, then it got old and the writers have never let it go. And I don’t believe they can’t write for a teenage girl because they have female writers on the show. Emily Towers, for example, was the head writer for the terrible “Better off Meg”, a Meg focused episode that had a lot of potential to be good, but instead did a 180 and made Chris into one of the most unlikeable characters in animation and reinforced that the writers cannot accept change and character development.

And that Hudson brothers montage was basically a repetition of the infamous Conway Twitty gag and was solely used to fill time. The entire thing took almost 2 whole minutes. It makes no sense to me that the writers do stuff like this. It just proves they don’t have any original jokes to tell. At least with the other awful cutaways and jokes, they attempt to try something and it doesn’t click. But gags like these and Conway Twitty are just lazy writing at its finest.

I can recall a few moments I smiled at. Notice I said smiled, not laughed. I was amused by these and nothing more. The first moment was when Stewie thought he was old, because 3 years old is certainly not old. The second moment was when Joe trying to make Peter buy expensive gum to let Chris use the bathroom, although it got lame quickly when he had to repeat the numbers. The third moment was when Dr. Hartman thought plastic surgery Stewie was Daryl Hannah, and the fourth moment was when Stewie’s skin fell off during his portrait.

“And Then There’s Fraud” is not only a bad episode of modern Family Guy, it’s also one of the laziest episodes the show has ever done. The story is wafer-thin, there’s almost no jokes that work, and the writers even had to insert a lot of those jokes that take too long just to fill time, like the Hudson brothers performance. This entire season has been mostly a miss, and if it keeps going, this might be the worst season of the show since the terrible and controversial season 12. I really am a fan of Family Guy, and a true fan knows when the show is in decline, to the point where it becomes unwatchable.

2/10
You're not the only one who likes, if not loves, Bless The Harts (or Bob's Burgers and/or The Great North). Calm down and don't worry too much about it, m8. You're definitely not alone.
These are what I watch this block for, personally.

I do, however, feel like I'm the only one who dislikes both The Simpsons and Family Guy, honestly... But I can rest easily knowing I'm not alone in that, so whatever.

Orange Mo

orangemo

You're not the only one who likes, if not loves, Bless The Harts (or Bob's Burgers and/or The Great North). Calm down and don't worry too much about it, m8. You're definitely not alone.
These are what I watch this block for, personally.

I do, however, feel like I'm the only one who dislikes both The Simpsons and Family Guy, honestly... But I can rest easily knowing I'm not alone in that, so whatever.
I don't dislike the Simpsons. I still think they can pull off good stuff every year. It's not gonna be the same as before. Same with Family Guy, but the difference is the Simpsons remains watchable, while FG can be pretty unwatchable at times.

A premiere date for Duncanville will be announced this week, stay tuned!

Bigawesome2000

Ratings for February 28:
Bless the Harts: 1,016,000 (0.3)
The Simpsons: 1,271,000 (0.4)
The Great North: 1,098,000 (0.3)
Bob’s Burgers: 1,020,000 (0.3)
Family Guy: 1,090,000 (0.4)

Understandable why the shows didn’t do so well last night, taking into account the delay and the tough competition. Glad BTH was able to do better though. Also nice that The Great North was able to get a small boost from The Simpsons.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Bless The Harts "Big Pimpin'"

That was awful. There is one thing I liked (that we'll get to) but I hated everything else.

Louise is so annoying. I think the monster truck ending with Wayne was sort of fun, but it certainly wasn't fun enough to justify how Louise and Jenny were using him.

And Brenda continues to be super gross and contemptible.

I think the thing that made me angriest was Violet and David for thinking that podcast of Betty's lies about people who are murderers was a good idea. It never dawned on them that they'd be legally liable for anything that crazy old bat falsely accused people of? They are lucky they weren't sued into the poorhouse. And I always thought my opinion of Betty could never be lower, but she surprised me. There is no bottom to this disgusting character.

I mentioned there was one thing I liked. I liked that Wayne immediately told Jenny Louise made him brush her hair and Jenny wasn't mad. I thought him offering to brush Jenny's hair to "make things even" was sort of sweet and endearing. But it was the only thing in the episode I liked.

The rest was utter trash. *.

The Simpsons "Wad Goals"

I cannot overstate how much I disapproved of that. And I'm wondering if the show REALLY wants to go there. REALLY? Fine, we will.

Like many shows in Hollywood, including Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which acted like Buffy was turning trick down at the docks by working at a fast food restaurant, The Simpsons, and this episode, looks down on the service industry. Oh, Heaven forfend, Marge isn't proud of Bart for having a job where he has to be polite to his employers! It's another thing to say The Simpsons has no idea what real-world people go through.

And here's me going there. Matt Groening went for plane rides with Jeffrey Epstein getting his gross feet massaged. Obviously, he thinks people who work for him are nothing more than prostitutes based on the company he keeps. The "sex cult" thing at the end of the episode made me cringe too. The show is in no position to throw stones about that because of Groening.

I don't disapprove of antireligious messages. But when they do them simply as a way to dump on people who aren't fortunate enough to be the ones who call the caddies is where I call b.s..

But hey, that reference to the Homer bush meme was pretty funny, right? And Stephen Root got his first Simpsons role, I guess.

A dud. At its worst and most tone-deaf, the show pushes my buttons. I'd say they know HOW to push my buttons, but they clearly believe this nonsense, so their cluelessness is unintentional instead. Which somehow makes it worse and less forgivable. *.

Bob's Burgers "Die Card Or Card Trying"

Linda is so annoying because she wants stupid things that nobody else does, and always inconveniences the rest of the family to get them. So it was a bit refreshing that the moral to THIS episode wasn't Linda saying she might have gone a little overboard, but them all saving the camera instead, and everybody admiring the picture. Bob's Burgers has a formula, and I admire they strayed off the beaten path for this one. 3 miles in fact. Because Linda is super annoying. Did I mention that?

Bonus points for tying Louise's frustrating puzzle into the resolution. And I liked the Park Ranger too. I think he and the family think he has more authority than he does. I'm a bit surprised Bob himself didn't question that, considering he was the one who would supposedly have to pay a fine.

And why on Earth would Bob and Linda give Gene a harmonica for Christmas? Are they insane?

I was annoyed as I was watching, this but it resolved itself okay. Just like the Tom And Jerry movie. ***.

Family Guy "And Then There's Fraud"

Wow, so there's something even more annoying than Conway Twitty. After seeing The Hudson Brothers in action, I want to board a time machine and punch every single person who used to watch that show in the face. Only because they deserve it. They actually deserve MUCH worse than that, but I am kind.

The Boston University slam was marvelous. I love their fight song.

I like how everybody in the episode is keeping an eye on Meg. She's not in trouble. She just should have a creek buddy.

Honestly, people can say that with Breaking Bad and The Wire off the air we are no longer living in the golden age of television. But we have nothing currently on as remotely bad as the Hudson Brothers. Even Jerry Springer is less embarrassing.

The Great North had a good week (even though I already reviewed it last week) but I'm giving the edge to Family Guy and saying it won the night. ****.

Last edited:

Orange Mo

orangemo
@Fone Bone I liked your thoughts on these and even though we had very different opinions on all these episodes, with you giving two of them a 1/5, I still enjoy reading your stuff every week. Funny because I didn't like Fraud at all. Your thoughts make me think about stuff. And yeah I'm a bit tired of Betty's character. I wish they used her in different ways. They're all the same now.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Are the Hudson Brother show a real thing? It had Optimus Prime in it.
@Fone Bone I liked your thoughts on these and even though we had very different opinions on all these episodes, with you giving two of them a 1/5, I still enjoy reading your stuff every week. Funny because I didn't like Fraud at all. Your thoughts make me think about stuff. And yeah I'm a bit tired of Betty's character. I wish they used her in different ways. They're all the same now.
That's what differing opinions are all about, man. :p I like reading your stuff too.

Orange Mo

orangemo
Duncanville s2 to premiere May 23 with a 1 hour season premiere and Housebroken to premiere May 31 9:00pm. Duncanville will then have its time period premiere Monday May 31 9:30pm.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts