"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

SweetShop209

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't end up doing much with the Beagle's, to be honest :confused:.
It could be a case of either not being able to fit them into the larger story, or maybe voice actor availability. Eric Bauza is also doing voice work on Muppet Babies, TOTS, Looney Tunes Cartoons, and Doug Unplugs.

Though voice actor availability could be why we haven't seen as much of Ma Beagle.

ShadowStar

Them and Magica DeSpell too.
I have to admit that this does bother me. The show runners cast Catherine Tate as Magica so that she would be a wonderful counterpart to Scrooge -- and yet the only time that those two have interacted was in "The Shadow War!" And even then, they only spoke to one another in two or three scenes. I hope that they will have more interaction in what's left of season 3, because this is the biggest loose end IMO. Well, that and the fact that we still don't know anything about Poe De Spell.

ShadowBeast

I have to admit that this does bother me. The show runners cast Catherine Tate as Magica so that she would be a wonderful counterpart to Scrooge -- and yet the only time that those two have interacted was in "The Shadow War!" And even then, they only spoke to one another in two or three scenes. I hope that they will have more interaction in what's left of season 3, because this is the biggest loose end IMO. Well, that and the fact that we still don't know anything about Poe De Spell.

Like I said in an earlier post, the focus on the kids held back on the show's potential. Ever since her defeat, almost every episode with Magica De Spell focused on Lena. The only episode Magica was in that Lena wasn't was the one involving the bet between Scrooge and Glomgold, and that plot was very underwhelming.
I'm disappointed that Poe De Spell wasn't used either.

SweetShop209

Given what Francisco Angones said about how hard it was to get episodes focusing more on the adults to be approved by the network, I'm not really sure what else could've been done. Even with more freedom later on, it is still definitely there. Granted, it's not exclusive to this series, but it's still there.

ShadowStar

Like I said in an earlier post, the focus on the kids held back on the show's potential. Ever since her defeat, almost every episode with Magica De Spell focused on Lena. The only episode Magica was in that Lena wasn't was the one involving the bet between Scrooge and Glomgold, and that plot was very underwhelming.
I'm disappointed that Poe De Spell wasn't used either.

I can understand the decision to focus on Lena and Magica's relationship throughout the series, but I think that the responsibility was also there to honour the Scrooge/Magica dynamic, especially since we had to wait until the end of season 1 to really see it in action.

I'm late to the party regarding "How Santa Stole Christmas!" so I want to say something about that. I thought it was good -- obviously it was never going to top "Last Christmas!", but I think that it did a fine job of highlighting the tension between "frivolous" thinking and "practical" thinking, as both modes of thought were described in this episode!

I found Webby rather annoying because she wanted to have her cake and eat it in trying to have Scrooge believe that she was on his side when she was actually coming around, but she's just a kid, so whatever. I don't think we, the viewers, can necessarily expect these (fictional) children to always behave in the most considerate or thoughtful fashion. But it still irked me, as Webby did the same thing with Huey and Violet in "Challenge of the Senior Junior Woodchucks!", and we've seen her controlling side as well in both "New Gods on the Block!" and "The Fight for Castle McDuck!"

Santa was great though. Hugh Bonneville's performance was wonderful and I thought that his relationship with Scrooge was terrific. I liked seeing them as partners who'd fallen out because of a clash of ideologies. Scrooge's rage had been an overreaction. I also liked seeing the whole family pitch in and help at the end.

EDIT: Webby's characterisation in this episode seems to tally with the idea that this episode is meant to take place early in the season. In "The Lost Harp of Mervana!", she learns some home truths regarding the fact that not all people are nice. If "How Santa Stole Christmas!" takes place shortly afterwards, then that might help to explain why it took her a while to warm to Santa -- especially given that she tends to place all of her trust in Scrooge.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

Negaduck isn't making a comeback before the finale.

It felt as though he was a one-and-done character anyway (not counting the cameo that he made as Jim Starling within the TV series in "Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!"). My sense of his "birth scene" at the end of "The Duck Knight Returns!" was that the goal was to tell Negaduck's origin story (and Drake's) but not necessarily to do more with him than that. Then again, Drake came back for "Moon-vasion!" and "Let's Get Dangerous!", so I suppose the possibility was always there that Jim/Negaduck would come back too. Still, the main thing (IMO) is that we've seen Drake a few times (and likely will again in what's left of season 3). Anything more with Jim/Negaduck would've been a nice bonus.

Frontier

Staff member
It felt as though he was a one-and-done character anyway (not counting the cameo that he made as Jim Starling within the TV series in "Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!"). My sense of his "birth scene" at the end of "The Duck Knight Returns!" was that the goal was to tell Negaduck's origin story (and Drake's) but not necessarily to do more with him than that. Then again, Drake came back for "Moon-vasion!" and "Let's Get Dangerous!", so I suppose the possibility was always there that Jim/Negaduck would come back too. Still, the main thing (IMO) is that we've seen Drake a few times (and likely will again in what's left of season 3). Anything more with Jim/Negaduck would've been a nice bonus.
I mean, his whole threat at the end after transforming into Negaduck seemed like it was begging for a follow-up. I guess even going into this thinking it was likely to be the last season, they felt like they had run up as much Darkwing as they could do in a Ducktales show with "Let's Get Dangerous."

ShadowStar

I mean, his whole threat at the end after transforming into Negaduck seemed like it was begging for a follow-up.
That I do understand -- it was a great tease! I guess the reason I felt a bit iffy regarding the chances of a follow-up was because he's not a typical "DuckTales villain". I hoped to see him again but I didn't get too attached to the idea. I feel similarly about Goofy. Would love to see him again after "Quack Pack!" but I just can't see it happening in what's left of this season. (That said... it would have been so great if Negaduck had teamed up with Magica!)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I mean, his whole threat at the end after transforming into Negaduck seemed like it was begging for a follow-up. I guess even going into this thinking it was likely to be the last season, they felt like they had run up as much Darkwing as they could do in a Ducktales show with "Let's Get Dangerous."

Well the thing is that "The Duck Knight Returns" was written and fully planned out BEFORE they had really worked on or nailed down all the ideas they wanted to do with season 3. So it's likely that they did do that ending with the implication of "yeah we want to bring back NegaDuck at some point" but when working on Season 3, realized they never had space for it wanting to make it this big deal they felt it deserved, and not just wanting to cram it into a story. I mean with "Let's Get Dangerous" you're already introducing this take on Tauros Bulba and Gosalyn as well as bringing back the villains from the show within a show AND having to tie it into the main FOWL plot of the season that even with an hour's amount of time didn't want to just force in NegaDuck in there as well. Thus this is one of those ideas they just never got around to that will have to be picked up by the DW Reboot which yeah especially with DT ending I have more faith in being a spinoff part of that universe so will likely give focus to NegaDuck in some form whenever it comes out.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Well the thing is that "The Duck Knight Returns" was written and fully planned out BEFORE they had really worked on or nailed down all the ideas they wanted to do with season 3. So it's likely that they did do that ending with the implication of "yeah we want to bring back NegaDuck at some point" but when working on Season 3, realized they never had space for it wanting to make it this big deal they felt it deserved, and not just wanting to cram it into a story. I mean with "Let's Get Dangerous" you're already introducing this take on Tauros Bulba and Gosalyn as well as bringing back the villains from the show within a show AND having to tie it into the main FOWL plot of the season that even with an hour's amount of time didn't want to just force in NegaDuck in there as well. Thus this is one of those ideas they just never got around to that will have to be picked up by the DW Reboot which yeah especially with DT ending I have more faith in being a spinoff part of that universe so will likely give focus to NegaDuck in some form whenever it comes out.
I get that but I think going into a season you're expecting might be your last, you would kind of want to wrap up as many loose plot threads as possible (which, to be fair, they've slowly but surely been doing), but I guess they were really banking/hoping on getting a Darkwing spinoff :sweat:.

Neo Ultra Mike

Well as much as they likely tried hitting all of their bases there were still going to be some they missed especially considering how the whole bit with Negaduck at the end of "The Duck knight Rises" was also probably done to ensure no one thought Jim Starling died in that explosion and was still around in some form. Plus Negaduck is only very loosely connected to anyone from the main cast (especially the kids aka what the focus of this show has to be about) so that was seen as a much lesser story angle that needed to be covered then probably a bunch of others we've seen and some we have yet to. Also "let's Get Dangerous" was practically a "this can also be considered a backdoor pilot please pick this up" for a new Darkwing Duck so yeah pretty obvious all DW focused stuff going forward will be for that show... well okay I know we're going to

see Gosalyn again by the end of this series as the creative team said all the "kid characters introduced in Ducktales 2017 will meet each other" since there is suppose to be a Gosalyn meets Webby scene at one point

But you know what I mean.

SweetShop209

I get that but I think going into a season you're expecting might be your last, you would kind of want to wrap up as many loose plot threads as possible (which, to be fair, they've slowly but surely been doing), but I guess they were really banking/hoping on getting a Darkwing spinoff :sweat:.
You could say it's a similar situation to Ian Jones Quarty and OK KO. He figured that season 3 would've been about 40 episodes long, but was told very early on that the show would end after 3 seasons and he would only get 20 episodes. He wrapped up the story he wanted to tell, but there was still more potential there. Perhaps the creators of this series were told very early on that season 3 would be the last, and thus had to cut the Negaduck stuff out as it would interfere with the main plot.

Neo Ultra Mike

Well seems like season 3 is as long as season one and two so I don't really think that's the case. Honestly could be like a Zuko's mom thing from Avatar the Last Airbender though; that was the one big story angle that the team didn't really have time at all to wrap up in the series properly because they believed they were going to get a mini series later on to tell that story. Instead of a mini series they got what would become Korra and had to tell that story in a graphic novel years down the line. And again compared to the rest of the show the stuff with Jim Starling and Negaduck doesn't really relate to the central cast at all so if they didn't have the time to tell a good story with all the other Darkwing Duck stuff they wanted to focus on first I'm fine with waiting till that spinoff to give that focus.

Speaking of how much episodes are left if this is like season one and two and it totals about 25 half hour episodes a season that only leaves 6 half hours left for the story. I'm going to say like Gravity Falls second season they'll get another half hour tossed in for a total of 76 and likely have like a 3 part series finale instead of two parts so there will likely only be about four regular episodes and then the finale. Again that's speculation on my part but that's how I see it shaking out. I also see it coming out maybe like May sweeps for a big start of summer kind of finale in May or June but again just totally speculating there.

ShadowStar

Speaking of how much episodes are left if this is like season one and two and it totals about 25 half hour episodes a season that only leaves 6 half hours left for the story. I'm going to say like Gravity Falls second season they'll get another half hour tossed in for a total of 76 and likely have like a 3 part series finale instead of two parts so there will likely only be about four regular episodes and then the finale.
I had wondered the same regarding the possibility of a three-part finale. Hmm. Well, I guess we'll see.

So what can we expect to see in the final episodes?

1. TaleSpin characters, Wuzzles and Gummi Bear juice follow-up (quite possibly all in the same episode)
2. Gizmoduck episode involving Gandra Dee (I feel that this is likely to happen before the finale) -- Darkwing and Gosalyn may appear in the same episode, so that we can see more of Fenton and Drake interacting
3. Another villain team-up, since Frank Angones hinted at this on his Tumblr -- this may also be the one where Magica and Scrooge interact
4. F.O.W.L. finale (two-parter or three-parter)

Additionally, I remember that Frank Angones mentioned, months ago, that there was an animatic involving Della that made him feel very emotional. I assume that this was from "New Gods on the Block!", since that episode focused on her motherhood, but I'm not certain.

TsWade2

How Santa Stole Christmas

We've got to see why Scrooge hates so Santa so much. What a another great Ducktales Christmas special about the relationship of Scrooge and Santa.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts