"Peanuts" Specials broadcast rights/schedule (UPDATE: Not renewed by PBS in 2022)

Mr Flintstone

From what I’ve read, it will be on PBS and PBS Kids. Hey, no commercials. That in itself makes it more DVR friendly.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's a nice surprise. PBS is a weird choice, but maybe it was also to make the specials as widely available as possible on basic cable. I didn't think that the backlash towards Apple getting the exclusive rights to the specials would backfire on them enough to where they'd get the Thanksgiving and Christmas specials on TV. I'm happy about it. Since PBS doesn't have commercials, I wonder if the specials will be unedited too.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
PBS is a great choice, I wish I thought of it, Apple and Peanuts get a tax deduction for PBS donation and PBS gets viewers and not have to pay anything to air it.

I wish the random other specials were going to be somewhere (Like I want a Dog for Christmas) but I understand the main specials are the attention grabbers.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The Peanuts specials could potentially air in their original uncut format on PBS. Their running times on commercial network TV have shortened over the years due to the addition of commercials.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
So why couldn't they have struck a deal with PBS Kids sooner, and had PBS air the "Great Pumpkin" special back in October? Or is this deal with PBS a "last minute" deal that came about because of the backlash of what happened with "Great Pumpkin"?

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
So why couldn't they have struck a deal with PBS Kids sooner, and had PBS air the "Great Pumpkin" special back in October? Or is this deal with PBS a "last minute" deal that came about because of the backlash of what happened with "Great Pumpkin"?
Here's what I feel how this worked out, I think PBS gets the specials for free, Apple/ Wild Brain (maybe) donated airings to PBS , in exchange PBS doesn't have to pay (Apple might even underwrite the presentation ... A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is brought to you by: Apple) Apple gets to use it as donation to PBS getting a tax deduction. Win Win for both sides, and I think it was because of the reaction to what happened with the Great Pumpkin.

I tested it out on the 30th (one of the free dates) and Apple required an Apple ID and credit/debit card number (not to charge, but I'm gonna guess data collection is the reason for both) and I just walked away and used my DVD as planned.

PBS is also the most accessible network to rural and low income , and low internet communities so it gives Apple a "good will of kindnesss" look.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I assume that it was the latter too. Apple most likely didn't expect any backlash when they got the exclusive rights to the Peanuts specials. I wonder if they're doing this partly because not a lot of people watched the Great Pumpkin on Apple TV too. Putting the specials on PBS would make it pretty easily accessible to most people regardless of the quality of their Internet connection. There just wasn't any time to make this deal for the Great Pumpkin most likely because they didn't think getting exclusive rights to these classic specials would be a problem.

ElectricAngel

Here's what I feel how this worked out, I think PBS gets the specials for free, Apple/ Wild Brain (maybe) donated airings to PBS , in exchange PBS doesn't have to pay (Apple might even underwrite the presentation ... A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is brought to you by: Apple)
Advertising like that isn't allowed on PBS. Most likely it will just air as-is, no fanfare.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Advertising like that isn't allowed on PBS. Most likely it will just air as-is, no fanfare.
I didn't say adverting , I said underwrite , like they donated money and PBS acknowledges that , and that was a thinking out loud guess , not saying it was going to happen , it could though.

Mandouga

"Funding for A Charlie Brown Christmas is provided by Apple Inc., (The Corporation for Public Broadcasting*), and contributions to PBS stations from Viewers Like You. Thank You!"

I'm pretty sure it's like that for anything that airs on PBS. It's been like that ever since they began as NET. Nobody ever said anything about "advertising" (as others have pointed out; there are no commercials on PBS). Advertising a product and a company being mentioned as giving funding for something being shown on PBS are two different things. I also put the CPB mention in parentheses because not every funding segment includes them.

*"A private corporation funded by the American people"

Cave-Cat-87

So the Peanuts Specials are airing on PBS? That's unfortunate to me, because our DirecTV provider doesn't have PBS.

ElectricAngel

So the Peanuts Specials are airing on PBS? That's unfortunate to me, because our DirecTV provider doesn't have PBS.

Pretty sure I read somewhere once that it's a legal requirement they do.. PBS doesn't charge anything to cable/satellite providers and is one of the only channels you're almost guaranteed to get over the air. You may want to check up on that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts