Dragon Ball: Pilaf Saga - Edit Lists

SpaceCowboy

This thread will show the differences between the
English dub of Dragon Ball Episodes 1-13 (1-3 for right now, Episodes 4-8 during the upcoming week)
that aired on Toonami in the US and Colours TV in an edited version and the uncut English dub that Funimation gave to Madman Ent. to distribute on DVD in Australia. I will be comparing the copy of the DVD that I imported to the tapings I made off Toonami years ago.

NOTE: Presumably, the uncut dub was made first and the Toonami version was edited down from it. I will be reporting the edits in this matter.

Episode 1: The Secret of the Dragon Balls

1. CUT: After Goku takes off his clothes to go fishing, he turns around to pee and says "Here comes the waterfall!". A fish jumps in the water and Goku turns around to see it.

2. CUT: After Goku dodges the big fish, there is a shot of him flying in the air with his foot sticking out to hit the fish. This scene was cut because Goku's genitals are exposed.

3. CENSOR: When Goku kicks the fish, a splash of water has been digitally added to cover his nudity.

4. CUT: As the fish falls dead after Goku has hit it, Goku goes to pick it up and then says "Now that's what I call a fish!".

5. CUT: After Goku throws Bulma's car, he takes out his Magic Staff.
Goku shouts, "There! That'll teach you to take my fish! Sneaking up on me like that, well I'm ready for you this time!"
Bulma starts to get up in the toppled car, angrily
as Goku shouts "Get out of your shell and fight!"
Bulma shivers.
Goku shouts "What's wrong? Don't tell me you used up all of your power already, monster!"
Bulma takes out a pistol and fires at Goku, responding "Not quite!". Goku is heard saying "Ow! Ow!"
Goku falls backward while the bullets richoshe off him. He falls to the ground. He gets up annoyed, rubbing his head.
Goku shouts, "Holy cow! What was that?"
Bulma stays there shocked holding her gun.
Goku shouts, "So, you thought you could finish me off again! Well Grandpa told me about evil creatures like you! Your black arts won't work on me!"

6. CUT: After Goku says, "OK monster, it's your turn!", Bulma dropping the gun before she puts her hands up is cut.

7. CUT: Shot of Bulma's panties being exposed after Goku lifts up her skirt.

8. CUT: This dialouge exchange between Goku and Bulma is removed.

Goku: Well we can have a little bite to eat, then talk and play together.

Bulma: Now look, if you think we're going to do anything improper, you can forget it.

Goku: Improper? What does that mean?

Bulma: (embarrassed) Oh never mind.
(thinking to herself and chuckling) I guess Grandpa hasn't told him about that yet. This kid's so innocent, he's adorable.

9. DIALOUGE CHANGE: Pilaf refers to his dog-like henchman as Shuu in the uncut dub. In the Toonami version, he is referred to as Shao. In the apperances Pilaf and the gang made after episode 13, he is called Shuu in both the edited and uncut versions. Funimation probably didn't know which name to keep and used the audio recordings of Pilaf referring to him as Shao (the name in the 1995 Kidmark dub) for the edited version on Toonami, but fixed it for the uncut dub and sent that to Madman Ent.

10. CUT: The scene after Goku refuses to give Bulma the dragonball.

Bulma: Hey, I know what. I'll trade ya.
(Bulma lifts up her skirt to show Goku her panties)
Bulma: You let me have your dragonball and I'll let you have a little peek.

Goku: What do I care about seeing your dirty old fanny?

Bulma: (shouting) (her head enlarges and grows sharp teeth)
It is not dirty, you rude little boy!

11. DIALOUGE CHANGE: In the uncut dub, after Bulma stops her motorbike and tells Goku she has to "make a pitstop" and Goku asks her what that means, Bulma runs off and yells "I have to pee you lamebrain!".
In the edited version, she instead just yells "Goku!!!"

Goku's following line of dialouge, "I don't get it. Why can't she just pee right here?" is muted in the edited Toonami version.

Episode 2: The Secret of the Dragon Balls

1. CUT: During the scene when Bulma is to give Goku a bath, a shot of naked Goku picking up a towel off the floor is cut. Bulma's dialouge "We civilized people call that a towel." is cut too.

2. CENSOR: A digital stool is inserted to cover Goku's nudity in the edited Toonami version.

3. CENSOR: Shots of Bulma washing Goku's hair are slightly cropped to hide Goku's nudity.

4. CENSOR: When Goku is putting back on his pants, the pants are digitally extended to cover his nudity.

5. CENSOR: When Bulma is taking a bath, extra bubbles are added to cover up the curves of her breasts.

NOTE: The infamous dialouge between Bulma and Goku in this scene is just as toned down in the uncut dub as it is in the edited Toonami version.

6. CUT: After Pilaf farts during his exchange with Shuu, the shot of smoke coming from his butt is cut.

7. DIALOUGE CHANGE: When Pilaf is about to use the chainsaw on Shuu after blaming the fart on him, Shuu's banter is different in the uncut and Toonami versions:

Uncut version:
Shuu: Don't chop me up, sire! I admit it! I did it! I pooted. I farted. I passed gas. Guilty as charged! Woo-hoo. I let out a stinker. Aughhh!!!

Edited Toonami version:
Shuu: Don't chop me up, I admit it sire! I did it! Oh yeah! I can't sneak anything by you! I am a stinker. Oh yeaahhh!

8. CUT: Here is one of these episodes' most infamous scenes:

(It is morning, Goku wakes up off the floor.)

Goku: I'm up.

(Goku sees Bulma sleeping on her back on the bed. )

Goku: I guess it's not time to get up yet. (Bulma snores as Goku walks over)

Goku to the sleeping Bulma: You see? I told you there was enough room for the both of us!

(Goku lies down on the sleeping Bulma)

(Goku gets up and starts hitting her crotch.)

(Goku turns around.)

Goku: Strange, it feels like there's nothing there...

(Goku pulls off her panties and his expression rapidly changes.)

(There is a pan of the woods outside the house as Goku yelps in fright.)

(Bulma wakes up in surprise.)

Bulma: Wha...?

(Goku stands on the floor waving his arms in confusion.)

Goku: It's..it's your balls, Bulma! They're gone!

Bulma: What?! You're kidding me! How?

(Bulma runs over to the table with the dragon balls as Goku yells, "They're gone, Bulma! No!")

(Goku has a gaping expression as Bulma picks the dragonballs up off the table.)

Bulma: Wheww! Thank goodness. They're here, Goku. You must've been dreaming. Man, you really had me scared.

(Goku still has the same gaping expression.)

Episode 3: The Emperor's Quest

1. DIALOUGE CHANGE:When Goku, Bulma, and the turtle encounter the Russian-accented bear, Bulma's "Have you lost your frickin' mind?" to Goku is changed to "Are you out of your mind?" for the edited Toonami version.

2. CENSOR: When Goku kills the bear, the blood flowing out of the bear's forehead is digitally removed.

3. DIALOUGE CHANGE AND CUTS: The dialouge between Master Roshi and Bulma on the beach is different in both the uncut and edited versions. Also, Bulma's flashing scene is seamingly removed from the edited Toonami version.

First the scene in the edited Toonami version:

Master Roshi: You see, I got this thing for bellybuttons.

(Bulma is embarrassed and a boing sound is added)

Turtle: Have you forgotten your code, Master? That's wrong! Dead wrong!

Roshi: Oh, I just wanted to see her bellybutton like one of the cute pop singer girls on the TV!

Turtle: Now I know why you couldn't ride the cloud.

Roshi: Bite your tongue!

(It cuts to Bulma saying "Alright! Where's my gift?")

The Uncut dubbed version:

Roshi: I'll have to side with turtle on this one, but I could be persuaded to change my mind. For instance, if you were to let me see your underwear. Hee hee.

(Bulma is embarrassed and she says to herself "He wants to see my...?")

Turtle to Roshi: Master! What are you doing?

Bulma shouting to Roshi: You can't be serious!!!

(Roshi laughs gleefully)

Turtle to Roshi: Have you forgotten your code, Master? That's wrong! Dead wrong!

Roshi: Oh hush up! Can't the Master take a little brake and have fun?

Turtle: Now I understand why you couldn't ride your cloud.

Roshi: Bite your tongue!

(Bulma tugs on her pajama gown nervously)

Bulma: This is so embarrassing... I can't believe I'm doing this...

(Bulma flashes Roshi and Turtle)

(Roshi is shocked and his walking stick breaks in half)

Bulma: Ta-daa!

(Roshi has nosebleed)

(Bulma stops what's she's doing and bends over, embarrassed)

Bulma: There. Done. That's it.

(Roshi and turtle quivering)

Roshi: Oh my eyes. I think I'm blind! I'm gonna faint.

Turtle to Roshi: Serves you right!

Bulma: Alright, where's my gift now?

4. LONG CUT: When Bulma and Goku return to her capsule house, Bulma goes to the door while Goku stays on his Flying Nimbus.

Bulma (opening the door): Wow. I never thought things would be going this well. We only need four more dragonballs. I guess it was meant to be, kiddo.
(Bulma goes inside house)

Goku: (lies down on his cloud) Wow, I wish Grandpa was here to see me.

(Suddenly, Bulma screams from inside the house)
(Goku jumps off the cloud and runs in)

Goku: Hold on Bulma, I'm coming! What's going on in here? What's wrong?

Bulma: My underwear...(quivering)...was on the floor...
(she feels around for them)...I'm afraid to look...(embarrassed)

Bulma shouting: They're not there!

Bulma (thinking to herself and the background changes): On the beach...
That means...the old man....Oh boy....

Goku (big grin): Oh is that all? Well that's OK Bulma, that's right where I put 'em.

Bulma: What are you talking about?

Goku: After I took 'em off this morning.

Bulma (angry): Are you saying you took my underwear off while I was sleeping this morning, huh?

Goku: I sure did.

Bulma: These underwear?!

Goku: They're the ones!

(Bulma loads automatic weapon)

Goku (curious): What are you doing, Bulma?

(Bulma fires in rage at Goku)

Goku (with bullets hitting his back): Ouch! That hurts! Owee owee!

----------
That's all the edits for now. I will cover more episodes next week. This is all the changes from the uncut dub to the edited one airing in America. Some of the controversial dialouge was already toned down in parts for the uncut dub and Funimation mostly just edited it where they needed to for American children's TV broadcast, unlike the earlier Kidmark dub that made stupid changes all over the place. This list is for people who watched the recent Colours TV broadcast and were dissapointed that they were showing the Toonami version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Great job SpaceCowboy with the list. I noticed that some scenes that were edited for Toonami were kept in the Kidmark version. I didn't realize that some lines were different in the uncut version(the Shuu scene comes to mind).

Ishtar

I realized something different from the ColoursTV airng than the Toonami airing. Unlike the Toonami airing of these 13 eps, Shu's name isn't Shao anymore. I remember that in the Ocean dub, the scene where Bulma finds her panties on the floor was changed to her finding ants that Goku let in the house. Another thing I noticed is that Terry Klassen is credited as one of the writers, so I guess they wanted to credit that they adapted from his script.

SpaceCowboy

Great job SpaceCowboy with the list. I noticed that some scenes that were edited for Toonami were kept in the Kidmark version. I didn't realize that some lines were different in the uncut version(the Shuu scene comes to mind).
Thanks.:) I was surprised by the line changes as well, when comparing the scenes side by side. I'll be posting more episodes next week when I am able to.

I realized something different from the ColoursTV airng than the Toonami airing. Unlike the Toonami airing of these 13 eps, Shu's name isn't Shao anymore. I remember that in the Ocean dub, the scene where Bulma finds her panties on the floor was changed to her finding ants that Goku let in the house. Another thing I noticed is that Terry Klassen is credited as one of the writers, so I guess they wanted to credit that they adapted from his script.
That's interesting. I'm surprised that they would go back and re-edit Shuu's name for an edited TV airing when it ran unfixed for years on Toonami. I also remember that particular scene from the Kidmark dub where they had Goku talk about ants in the house. It was a pretty lame cover-up. I think that Funi may have also adapted Klassen's script because re-translating everything would've been too much work. I think they just focused on fixing blatant inconsistancy issues that the Kidmark dub had.

Carlos

Good job with the list. I wonder how different the Blue Water DB dub is different from FUNi's dub translation-wise and edit-wise(on YTV and Toonami UK).

I also wonder if the edits would stay the same or looser if DB came to Toonami today.

Zeonic Freak

Make MD Geist Great Again!
I had to look at my bros dvds, he has the first VHS tape and the first 13 ep on DVD. I was telling him this and he says he doesnt have it on the dvds, so there cencered. The DVD is by Trimark/FUNi and the tape by Kids something.

Oh well... i was going to watch them tonight.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Zeonic Freak said:
I had to look at my bros dvds, he has the first VHS tape and the first 13 ep on DVD. I was telling him this and he says he doesnt have it on the dvds, so there cencered. The DVD is by Trimark and the tape by Kids something.

Oh well... i was going to watch them tonight.

This the 1995 version that FUNimation did for American syndication.

SpaceCowboy

Carlos said:
Good job with the list. I wonder how different the Blue Water DB dub is different from FUNi's dub translation-wise and edit-wise(on YTV and Toonami UK).

I also wonder if the edits would stay the same or looser if DB came to Toonami today.
I've never seen the Blue Water dub, but awhile back someone did post on one of these boards that the "no balls" scene was cut but that a lot of the other stuff like the blood coming out of the bear's forehead when Goku kills him was left in. I don't know if Goku's nudity was censored or not.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I don't think the mods will sticky it. Since they don't sticky other edit list threads, this one probably won't be the first.

KarlOlson

Art Imitates Life
Staff member
Reporter
I'm not stickying it, and if anyone bumps for the sake of bumping it again, I'll delete the post and warn the person.

GrantM

SpaceCowboy said:
I've never seen the Blue Water dub, but awhile back someone did post on one of these boards that the "no balls" scene was cut but that a lot of the other stuff like the blood coming out of the bear's forehead when Goku kills him was left in. I don't know if Goku's nudity was censored or not.
I was under the impression the Blue Water dub was even more edited than the Funimation edited version dub...and even the 1995 dub, kinda in the same way the 2001 Ocean DBZ dub for the UK/Canada was more edited than the edited Funimation DBZ dub)

SpaceCowboy

Karl Olson said:
I'm not stickying it, and if anyone bumps for the sake of bumping it again, I'll delete the post and warn the person.
OK then, is it all right if I make a new thread for later episode edit lists?

KarlOlson

Art Imitates Life
Staff member
Reporter
SpaceCowboy said:
OK then, is it all right if I make a new thread for later episode edit lists?

No, only post in the thread when you have a new edit list or a new comment beyond "bumping the thread" to add. Bookmark this thread if you're worried about having trouble finding it again.

SpaceCowboy

Karl Olson said:
No, only post in the thread when you have a new edit list or a new comment beyond "bumping the thread" to add. Bookmark this thread if you're worried about having trouble finding it again.
OK, I'll do that. Thanks for telling me.:)

Tom_Servo

Hello there,

I am looking for copies of the edited versions of Funimation's 2001 dub of Dragon Ball's first few episodes. I noticed several years ago, you said you have tapes of that dub. I was wondering if you still had those tapes available, and if so, would it be possible to acquire digital copies of those tapes for research purposes?

Thanks,

Tom_Servo

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Hello there,

I am looking for copies of the edited versions of Funimation's 2001 dub of Dragon Ball's first few episodes. I noticed several years ago, you said you have tapes of that dub. I was wondering if you still had those tapes available, and if so, would it be possible to acquire digital copies of those tapes for research purposes?

Thanks,

Tom_Servo

I believe that would technically be piracy, which we do not allow. I know it's not for profit and the media is not legally available, but it is against the letter of this forum's rules.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts