The Raccoons (2019 reboot)

zoombie

Sorry to double post, but I just have to add, I think the Raccoons might be the best Canadian cartoon ever, maybe only rival by My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and I am not sure how much that counts as a Canadian cartoon, it is made for the U.S. mainly, while the Raccoons was made in Canada for Canada.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
There was also another rivla named Mammoth who appeared less often in the last seasons of the Raccoons. If the original series had got 2 or 3 more seasons, we could wonder if Milton Midas would had been a more important character?

Perhaps, Midas was introduced late in the game, long after Sneer developed into a much nicer character. In the original cartoon, Sneer slowly developed into a more moral character over time:

If you keep him the as a typical greedy tycoon and he becomes a less interesting character, but he can't believably become a nicer character too quickly. Someone like Midas can eventually fill the role of a greedy tycoon who drives the plot forward when Sneer softens up. I wonder if they will change Midas from an eagle to like a falcon or something.

I guess they had to rid of Cyril Sneer's cigars eh? They were a plot point in one episode, but maybe they will not do an anti-smoking episode in this series and smoking is being phased out in a lot of media anyway.

zoombie

Well there was always a limit to how far Cyril can go, I mean he is the dad of the main character's best friend. Though if you seen those early specials, wow just wow, Cyril can be vicious. If people who only seen Cyril in the series, and never seen the specials, they really don't know how vicious he can be.

I wonder why they just got rid of Sophia half way through the series without any explanation. I believe her voice actress was still on the show voicing Broo.

Speaking of characters they got rid of, characters I understand they got rid of was the human ranger and his kids. Those worlds co existing didn't make sense, though I have an idea of what they could have done, have the anthropomorphic animal world be separate from the human world, Schaefer and Broo just goes in his magic portal to the different world all the time. Though have you to ignore the first special, the Christmas special. Dam this show had plot holes, I am doing my best to fix them.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well there was always a limit to how far Cyril can go, I mean he is the dad of the main character's best friend. Though if you seen those early specials, wow just wow, Cyril can be vicious. If people who only seen Cyril in the series, and never seen the specials, they really don't know how vicious he can be.

I wonder why they just got rid of Sophia half way through the series without any explanation. I believe her voice actress was still on the show voicing Broo.

Speaking of characters they got rid of, characters I understand they got rid of was the human ranger and his kids. Those worlds co existing didn't make sense, though I have an idea of what they could have done, have the anthropomorphic animal world be separate from the human world, Schaefer and Broo just goes in his magic portal to the different world all the time. Though have you to ignore the first special, the Christmas special. Dam this show had plot holes, I am doing my best to fix them.

Norman Osborn is the father of Peter Parker's best friend and he often becomes a scum bag in some versions, a character is likable or monstrous as the writers want him or her to be.

Its less plot holes and more that the show decided to get rid of elements that were not working (like the human characters) and decided not to spend time explaining why they were gone, though maybe they keep Sophia around for longer. A reboot has the benefit of seeing what works and what doesn't.

I think they combine elements of Cyril from the specials and the show, making him pretty nasty at first, but softening up over time. A truly slimy tycoon like Midas could help make his change of heart be believable.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Since this thread was made, Big Jump updated their development page and now claim the reboot is currently a TV special:

Title: The Raccoons Holiday Special (In Broadcast Development – 2019 Slated Delivery)
Format: 2D Comedic, Family Series / 22 Minutes
Created by: Kevin Gillis
Developed for television by: Alex Galatis, Mark Edwards, Cory Morrison & Karen Swerdfeger
Partners: Jetpack Distribution, Run With Us Productions
Get ready to return to the Evergreen Forest! The 1980s worldwide hit, The Raccoons, is back and destined to attract a brand new fan base while hitting the happy nostalgia button of the original audience. And the familiar faces are back! Led by the enthusiastic, adventure-seeking Bert Raccoon, join aardvark best-friend Cedric and racoon pals Ralph and Melissa as they navigate Bert’s carefree attitude, all the while staying on-top of the scheming tycoon, aardvark business man, Cyril Sneer.

I find it odd that they haven't announced which network this is in development with. CBC would seem like the natural fit, but when was the last time they greenlit a cartoon that wasn't aimed at preschoolers? Given the rumours about Corus, I imagine they're out, too. DHX maybe? lol

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
So, in other words, it's going to be a one-shot revival. Either that, or it's a reboot, and this is just a pilot?...

The original series was preceded by a handful of TV specials, too. They're probably doing this to see if there's interest in a new show.

zoombie

Little off topic, anyone know if there is a soundtrack to the original series. I would totally buy it. Though I know the answer is unlikely, they never made a soundtrack for Jem and the Holograms which was about music, why should I expect anything else from these small Canadian cartoon.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
This was...unexpected, especially since the original show is not currently available on DVD (that I know of). Also, I'm not one to judge a book by its cover, but a design style like that has been known to indicate a show that's mainly a comedy. I don't know that much about the original show, but I do know that the original wasn't just a comedy. I'm just saying, but I'm hoping this will be "The Raccoons", and not "My Little Raccoons: Friendship is Magic".

Also, here's some random trivia: the "Evergreen Forest" is also a location on Planet Eternia in (He-Man and the) Masters of the Universe, which predates the original Raccoons series.
It WAS available on DVD once upon a time as a box set which I did buy back in the day. I didn't contain the complete series though.

zoombie

What do you guys think if they changed Cyril from a widow to a divorcee? I want Cedric's mom to be in this show, but if she is dead, only limited to flashback. Of course they could pull a Duckman or a Simpsons here. If this becomes a series, I think that would be a great way to end season 1.

While we wait for this, there is a Raccoons abridged series on You Tube, and it is very good.

cheril59

That's 80 minutes long. What does it say in a nutshell?
Okay, so, in case you didn't catch all that. Kevin Gillis is encouraging Raccoons fans to make a comic book, and they'll choose one to make it into a new animated Raccoons production.
Also, to commemorate the franchise's 40th anniversary (it all started with "The Christmas Raccoons"), they're working on an album featuring a collection of songs and music score from the cartoons. They're also remastering all 60 episodes and 4 specials of "The Raccoons" into widescreen and possibly releasing it to DVD and Blu-Ray.

zoombie

Okay few minutes in and already, let me correct Kevin, I know it has been a long time, I watched the Christmas special, it took place the day before Christmas Eve, December 23rd aka Festivus.

zoombie

Okay, so, in case you didn't catch all that. Kevin Gillis is encouraging Raccoons fans to make a comic book, and they'll choose one to make it into a new animated Raccoons production.
Also, to commemorate the franchise's 40th anniversary (it all started with "The Christmas Raccoons"), they're working on an album featuring a collection of songs and music score from the cartoons. They're also remastering all 60 episodes and 4 specials of "The Raccoons" into widescreen and possibly releasing it to DVD and Blu-Ray.

Well I am hoping the winning comic book has Cedric's mom, that has been something I have always wanted to see explored.

If they are taking fan made submissions, I hope they use this as an intro, at least the ending part with Cyril which I thought was a very creative update on the old intro.

Last edited:

cheril59

Well I am hoping the winning comic book has Cedric's mom, that has been something I have always wanted to see explored.

If they are taking fan made submissions, I hope they use this as an intro, at least the ending part with Cyril which I thought was a very creative update on the old intro.

Didn't you check Big Jump's site for the Raccoons page?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts