"Looney Tunes Cartoons" News & Discussion Thread

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
If Looney Tunes Cartoons is a success and it look like will be, I think WB should do a follow up series with Tom and Jerry and the MGM characters.
Hopefully the upcoming "Jellystone!" will be something like this, given it will have almost all the well-known H-B funny animal characters. But if only they wouldn't have those character designs....

Jonwo

Hopefully the upcoming "Jellystone!" will be something like this, given it will have almost all the well-known H-B funny animal characters. But if only they wouldn't have those character designs....

I suspect Jellystone will be more like Chowder or Harvey Beaks in term of structure rather than following what they're doing with Looney Tunes Cartoons.

SweetShop209

CH Greenblatt said Jellystone is closer to Chowder.

To get this thread on track, I've heard some people online who think that the show is a nice nostalgic throwback, but don't want it to rely solely on nostalgia.

wiley207

As for the SFX - I think the sound design here is close to perfect. Bias towards the WB sounds mostly, with some intrusions from the Disney library, along with a small smattering of H-B - pretty good SFX mix (along with some Horta Editorial effects as well, I recognized a violin sound of theirs being used in "Bubble Dum", along with their bell clang in "Tunnel Vision"), if you ask me. It might bother some that Disney effects are being mixed in with the WB stuff, but it doesn't for me - some of the old WB cartoons did use some Disney effects, like their cat fight and a few whistle sounds.

Yep; though the use of WB and Disney sounds combined (the latter mostly coming from the "Cartoon Trax" sound effects library from the now-defunct Hollywood Edge) is also very reminiscent of the 1990s Looney Tunes shorts by Chuck Jones's studio that used a very similar sound effects mix. And yep, I too am aware of the occasional old Disney sounds being used in classic WB shorts (I know the classic cat fight is NOT on the Cartoon Trax library or the Warner Bros. Sound Effects Library from Sound Ideas, but it IS on the International Sound Effects Library, also from Sound Ideas, and that has a few Disney and WB sound effects not on the aforementioned libraries. Now if only some of those sound service companies were aware of it being on that library; maybe they could even just purchase the individual effect from AudioMicro or Sounddogs, so they don't have to just use the Premiere Edition cat fight sound ("Whiskers! Will you get out of here?! You're interfering with a search-and-rescue!") or those other Disney cat sounds that made their way to the Animal Trax and Cartoon Trax libraries.)
I wonder if one of the uncredited sound effects editors/designers originally came from Horta Editorial or Hacienda Post? Maybe even Jeff Hutchins is involved in some way, as he does get around (and he worked for Warner Bros. Sound in the mid-90s, including "Rocko's Modern Life," and Nickelodeon also got him to do the sound design for the "Static Cling" TV movie) and he has a penchant for using classic cartoon sound effects in much of his works.

Mr. Horse

insert clever caption here
Yep; though the use of WB and Disney sounds combined (the latter mostly coming from the "Cartoon Trax" sound effects library from the now-defunct Hollywood Edge) is also very reminiscent of the 1990s Looney Tunes shorts by Chuck Jones's studio that used a very similar sound effects mix. And yep, I too am aware of the occasional old Disney sounds being used in classic WB shorts (I know the classic cat fight is NOT on the Cartoon Trax library or the Warner Bros. Sound Effects Library from Sound Ideas, but it IS on the International Sound Effects Library, also from Sound Ideas, and that has a few Disney and WB sound effects not on the aforementioned libraries. Now if only some of those sound service companies were aware of it being on that library; maybe they could even just purchase the individual effect from AudioMicro or Sounddogs, so they don't have to just use the Premiere Edition cat fight sound ("Whiskers! Will you get out of here?! You're interfering with a search-and-rescue!") or those other Disney cat sounds that made their way to the Animal Trax and Cartoon Trax libraries.)
I wonder if one of the uncredited sound effects editors/designers originally came from Horta Editorial or Hacienda Post? Maybe even Jeff Hutchins is involved in some way, as he does get around (and he worked for Warner Bros. Sound in the mid-90s, including "Rocko's Modern Life," and Nickelodeon also got him to do the sound design for the "Static Cling" TV movie) and he has a penchant for using classic cartoon sound effects in much of his works.
Not to go off on a tangent, but I do know at least the International TOM CATS FIGHTING, HISSING, GROWLING does pop up sometimes in modern animation. I heard it in an episode of The Tom and Jerry Show of all places the other day! Way superior effect to the PE "Cats Two Angry Yowls" in every way, although I don't mind a couple of the Animal Trax "Cat Domestic Meow Ang" recordings.

If Hutchins was working on any of these, that'd be wonderful, as I'm deeply appreciative of his sound design style, especially on SpongeBob. Besides, any sound editor who at least once in a while uses the Jay Ward library, which for some reason isn't as popular with editors as the Cartoon Trax and H-B library, has to be alright. That library is just so underused for some bizarre reason, considering that part of the reason I think the H-B library is so popular is because editors remember those sounds from their childhood - I'd like to think they'd have fond recollections of the Jay Ward effects as well, as those were almost as popular with sound editors in the 60s, 70s and 80s as the Hanna-Barbera recordings.

Might be interesting to hear one of those in one of these, as a little shout-out to those shorts outsourced to Format Films, which used an abundance of those, as some of you may know. Might also be cool to hear a 60s Chuck Jones/SIB Tower 12 effect, too, just for the Jones connection, although much of those sadly aren't available on any commercial SFX library I know of, save for a few ricco sounds on the now-discontinued Network library and a jet swooshing by effect and a "water squirt" preserved on the H-B library.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

This message came out.

Edit: Pete Browngardt said how, when they pitched the series, they showed many of the original shorts to a test audience of kids, and never told them they were decades old. They liked them. This reminds me of how Nickelodeon thought Legend Of Korra would be a flop with boys since it started a girl until they saw a test audience of boys liking her.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

There's apparently controversy on Elmer Fudd not using guns in this series (even though he and Yosemite Sam haven't used them in years).

I see their point, but nothing says something about a man's flawed, challenged masculinity in 2020 than a gun. It is literally a stand-in for a phallus for many people. Using that specific argument is weird because that's one of the reasons Modern Elmer SHOULD have a gun.

ItalianAmerican

Whats the point? They're destroying the characters anyway. They want to delete Elmer's rifle who is a hunter, and Yosemite's pistols who is an old west gun fighter. They are literal extensions of their personalities. What are they going to do to them now? Throw masks on them and have them march?

TFormersMarvel

Whats the point? They're destroying the characters anyway. They want to delete Elmer's rifle who is a hunter, and Yosemite's pistols who is an old west gun fighter. They are literal extensions of their personalities. What are they going to do to them now? Throw masks on them and have them march?

Destroying the characters? Before this pedantic controversy, critics were spreading how much of a satisfying return to form Browngardt's run has been so far.

To answer your question, I would recommend checking out the current shorts featuring Elmer ("Grilled Rabbit", "Pool Bunny", "Mini Elmer" , "Plunger", "Hare Restoration", "Plumber's Quack", and "Moving Hole") and Sam ("Harm Wrestling", "Pest Coaster" and "Siberian Sam") to see how versatile the cast has been able to use these characters outside of their known roles (much like their original run).

Rather than your thinly-veiled jabs at current events.

wiley207

Yeah, all this stuff about Elmer and Sam not being allowed to have guns is getting way out of hand. Yet no one batted an eye at "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" letting Scooby have guns in one episode!
1591657562075.png

Not to mention also having a teenage girl get SHOT TO DEATH. (Offscreen, but still.) Yet SD:MI is still available on streaming and VOD services and has not been censored in any way, to my knowledge, especially considering the aforementioned death is sure to remind some of those unfortunate school shootings. And of course, its' sister series "The Looney Tunes Show" also wouldn't let Yosemite Sam have guns, and was WAY tamer than SD:MI, despite falsely being rated TV-PG (while SD:MI was rated TV-Y7-FV, and the new Looney Tunes Cartoons are rated TV-PG for episodes 1 to 8 and TV-Y7 for episodes 9 onward.)

dothesmartthing

Planet Yakko
It's a shame that a fine new series like Looney Tunes Cartoons turned out to get so much criticism from fans on an account of a gun, as if dynamites, bombs, anvils and ACME explosives weren't enough.

Frank Coufal

It's a shame that a fine new series like Looney Tunes Cartoons turned out to get so much criticism from fans on an account of a gun, as if dynamites, bombs, anvils and ACME explosives weren't enough.
I know. Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam are already memorable comedic characters, with or without guns. I don't know why some people have to whine about simple changes like removing guns. I'm already tolerating the creators' decision.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Yeah, all this stuff about Elmer and Sam not being allowed to have guns is getting way out of hand. Yet no one batted an eye at "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" letting Scooby have guns in one episode!
View attachment 282289
Not to mention also having a teenage girl get SHOT TO DEATH. (Offscreen, but still.) Yet SD:MI is still available on streaming and VOD services and has not been censored in any way, to my knowledge, especially considering the aforementioned death is sure to remind some of those unfortunate school shootings. And of course, its' sister series "The Looney Tunes Show" also wouldn't let Yosemite Sam have guns, and was WAY tamer than SD:MI, despite falsely being rated TV-PG (while SD:MI was rated TV-Y7-FV, and the new Looney Tunes Cartoons are rated TV-PG for episodes 1 to 8 and TV-Y7 for episodes 9 onward.)

And of course there's this:

Cecil_With_A_Gun.PNG.png

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts