How and when did the Duck universe get so big?

zoombie

For Disney number 2, the world and family tree of Donald Duck is way bigger than Mickey Mouse Disney's number 1. The whole Duck universe is so massive, from Donald to Duckwing Duck, all those comics in so many countries, with Ducktales in the middle, there is nothing like that with Mickey or Goofy.

The Duck family tree is so famous in big, the Mouse family is not nearly as big. How come Donald got the rich iconic uncle and not Mickey? How come Huey, Dewey, and Louie are more well know and famous than Morty and Ferdie? And how come there was no attempt of doing something similar with Goofy?

Is it all because of Carl Barks? Was it because of the 1987 Ducktales cartoon?

It is hard to explain why Donald Duck who is number 2 behind Mickey has this whole universe and city just for him named Duckburg and this family tree that is so infamous, while Mickey doesn't get that. And again why didn't they try to do something similar with Goofy, he was also Mickey's sidekick?

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
To be honest, the Mouseverse as seen in the Floyd Gottfredson strips is pretty huge too. I believe we even meet Minnie's parents in an early serial (Mr. Slicker And The Egg Robbers) although I may be off base on that. A lot of recent Disney stories seem to be combining both Universes too so both the Mouseverse and Duckverse doubled in size because of that.

zoombie

Still though no Dog or Goofuniverse, not nearly as big as the Mouse or the Duck universe.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Goofy is not a good enough character to deserve his own universe. The terrible Goof Troop and A Goofy Movie prove this. He works best as Mickey's sidekick.

Frankly, I outright detest Gottfredson's Goofy. The notion of Goofy as a wide-eyed innocent is thoroughly a modern interpretation. He used to be an even bigger jerk than Gladstone Gander back in the day.

zoombie

Goofy is not a good enough character to deserve his own universe. The terrible Goof Troop and A Goofy Movie prove this. He works best as Mickey's sidekick.

Frankly, I outright detest Gottfredson's Goofy. The notion of Goofy as a wide-eyed innocent is thoroughly a modern interpretation. He used to be an even bigger jerk than Gladstone Gander back in the day.

So if you want to use DC super hero comparison. I always thought Mickey is Superman, Donald is Batman, what does that make Goofy? Aquaman, Green Latern, super heroes who can't carry a movie.

Dr.Pepper

I think most of this is stemming from the comics. I haven’t read them, but I’m assuming Donald Duck comics were more popular and/or had more effort put into them.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Donald Duck just has more appeal than Mickey Mouse. He is more relatable. Mickey Mouse is seen as boring.

Here's a poster of all family members of the Duck family. (ignore the names, they're Dutch) It excludes the citizens of Duckburg that aren't family.
stamboom_highres_klein.png

zoombie

Donald Duck just has more appeal than Mickey Mouse. He is more relatable. Mickey Mouse is seen as boring.

And thus my Mickey is Superman, Donald is Batman comparison. By the way we don't know Mickey's mother's name, maybe her name is Hortense.

Anyway for my experience, watching and reading Donald in his struggles in life is more entertaining, than Mickey's life which always works out in the end.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Well... Legend of 3 Caballeros & Ducktales (2017) >>>>> Mickey Mouse (2013), due especially to, at least IMHO... Donald and those surrounding him (but especially Donald!) are much more relatable and interesting to talk about, if not watch in action.

Mickey represents someone with far too much luck on their side. Donald is the purest representation of the flaws and pain of being... the average human. And average humans, like Donald, only have so many good days to begin with that are even remotely worth looking back on!

However, yes, it's important to stay positive admist any circumstances, which Donald could stand to do more of in some cases, especially Ducktales (2017).

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Mickey Mouse has got a lot of bad luck in the 2013 shorts. Most shorts are about him struggling and trying to stay positive.

zoombie

I guess it spreads to the families being more interesting, the Duck / McDuck has some more interesting tales to tell I guess, than the Mouse family.

Though is it wrong for me to think Mickey's sister is attractive, she is way more attractive than Minnie in my opinion.

I do have a fan idea, while I don't watch the Mickey Mouse And The Roadster Racers show you could do it on that show, or some other animated forum, love to see Millie and Melody meet April, May, and June. That would be cool and I would actually watch an episode of MMATRR just for that.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Mickey Mouse has got a lot of bad luck in the 2013 shorts. Most shorts are about him struggling and trying to stay positive.

Yeah, but that's about the one time that isn't Kingdom Hearts that I've seen Mickey (and Minnie) actually struggle through everyday life like normal, actually relatable people do. And even then, Donald is still more relatable, because even in those shorts..... Mickey still tends to win plenty more.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

Here's a poster of all family members of the Duck family. (ignore the names, they're Dutch) It excludes the citizens of Duckburg that aren't family.
View attachment 204722
That family tree is bogus. The only one Disney actually considers official is Don Rosa's. Although this one was clearly based on that one. But the character designs and format are wrong.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts