"Close Enough" News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

SpaceCowboy

I bet due to how much it looked like Regular Show, they’re worried kids will watch it thinking it was, leading to some really upset parents.
If that's the issue, then why not just give it to Adult Swim? Problem solved.

Rhaynebow

Arent there literally tons of adult shows where parent characters have kids but get black out drunk

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

That’s true, but the kids and parents tend to be old enough that them getting drunk isn’t a huge deal in the show or to the audience. A mother or father of a 17-year old getting drunk or high may not be seen as that bad. But if it was a 3-year old, the audience may not find those parents as likable.

This show seems to be aiming for the RS fans, but it needs more than that since it’s on a bigger channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
That’s true, but the kids and parents tend to be old enough that them getting drunk isn’t a huge deal in the show or to the audience. A mother or father of a 17-year old getting drunk or high may not be seen as that bad. But if it was a 3-year old, the audience may not find those parents as likable.

This show seems to be aiming for the RS fans, but it needs more than that since it’s on a bigger channel.

Homer has a children under 13 years old and he still gets black out drunk, Peter has an infant child and there was an episode where he needs a liver transplant(see also Cleveland), and there were numerous of episodes where even Hank and Bob got blackout drunk.

Rhaynebow

Homer has a children under 13 years old and he still gets black out drunk, Peter has an infant child and there was an episode where he needs a liver transplant(see also Cleveland), and there were numerous of episodes where even Hank and Bob got blackout drunk.

Well, now that you mention those parents, I think a better possible reason for the delay is that an adult show about irresponsible parents or at least responsible parents with moments of carelessness is a concept that’s been done to death.

But you know how animation production works. It’s kept under tight wraps, so we’ll probably never know the reason for quite some time.

TargetmasterJoe

So...I guess this show is not entirely dead? I wonder if the whole being quiet thing had something to do with the thing about Louis C.K. in that he had co-created a show about cops and TBS was going to air it, but then the thing about him happened and it caused the show to get canned...?

You guys know what I'm getting at?

I know for sure I loved that preview video we got for Close Enough.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
So...I guess this show is not entirely dead? I wonder if the whole being quiet thing had something to do with the thing about Louis C.K. in that he had co-created a show about cops and TBS was going to air it, but then the thing about him happened and it caused the show to get canned...?

You guys know what I'm getting at?

I know for sure I loved that preview video we got for Close Enough.

Except this is entirely different than compared to the other show, which it never made its way out of production, it’s obvious for them to promise heavily on Final Space when they never made any reruns of any previous episodes aside from airing secondly on AS.

It could be production issues or something heavily in regards of the network itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JTOONSAnimation

We could end up getting the same thing that Tarantula got last year.

Announcing the premiere a couple weeks in advance, releasing all episodes online/the app, and quietly releasing them on TV on Monday nights.

If that's the issue, then why not just give it to Adult Swim? Problem solved.

I think it was originally supposed to be an Adult Swim, but I'm not 100% sure. But I'm sure this show will air at least one episode on Adult Swim, all of TBS' original animations, except Tarantula has aired on Adult Swim.

Plus its better off on TBS, kids are more likely to find it and watch it on Adult Swim than on TBS.

JTOONSAnimation

Cartoon Network Studios updated their site and made a new video, it has a short clip of Close Enough (three minutes in) and there are small interviews with the production crew:

Rhaynebow

*Dealer’s voice*

Alllllllrighty boys, time to place ya bets! In one corner, you have Close Enough, iiiiiin the other, Pinky Malinky! The stakes are at their highest as to which show will premiere first!

At this point, it’d be best to let this thread go back to sleep until more news comes out. It’s clear either TBS or the crew did something to screw up.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
It seems likely that the fact that seeing any adult animation that’s set upon placing TBS in a nutshell, as they didn’t seem to be interested with anything animated in the first place at all, besides airing American Dad, which that’s another story that will be explained another time, however, I believe we need to think back and see of what went wrong with TBS trying to adapt adult animation in a rather egregious way, with only Final Space did successfully well despite of not having reruns on the main channel and besides airing singly on it sister channel, with others like Tarantula that did poor when they burned 4 weeks worth of episodes despite placing on the app early similar like what Disney XD did with Billy Dilley around earlier in the same year, and with the accusations of Louis CK that had killed the ambition of The Cops being onboard and yet we haven’t heard much with Close Enough at all, not even at this year’s comic con. TBQH, I see this whole thing just a waste of anyone's time, it’s better of seeing this around beginning of next year.

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

Cartoon Network Studios updated their site and made a new video, it has a short clip of Close Enough (three minutes in) and there are small interviews with the production crew:

Hmm, since the rest of the shows in that reel are the "kids" shows, maybe the crew is re-editing Close Enough to be more "family friendly" so it can air on CN proper (though considering all the sex and drug jokes in the trailer, thats going to be some severe editing).

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Hmm, since the rest of the shows in that reel are the "kids" shows, maybe the crew is re-editing Close Enough to be more "family friendly" so it can air on CN proper (though considering all the sex and drug jokes in the trailer, thats going to be some severe editing).

Unless they’re talking about placing on Adult Swim, I don’t think they go out of the way of trying to make it like how they did to RS and AT during their final years, based on the clip that TBS had uploaded last year, they wouldn’t even touch it to make it so-called family friendly. So that’s pretty of a "When Pigs Fly" thing, just not happening.

JTOONSAnimation

I don't think so, they just want to show the shows that they're making, and they didn't want to throw a random drug or sex scene in the middle of everything.

M622

It seems likely the fact that seeing any adult animation that’s set upon putting TBS in a nutshell, as they didn’t seem to be interested with anything animated at all, besides airing American Dad, we have to think back and see of what went wrong with TBS trying to be like its sister channel Adult Swim, with only Final Space faring well despite of not being rerun on the main channel, with others like Tarantula doing poorly when they burned 4 weeks worth of episodes despite placing on the app like Disney XD did with Billy Dilley around the same year, with the accusations of Louis CK that had killed the ambition of The Cops onboard and yet we haven’t heard much with Close Enough at all, not even at this year’s comic con. TBQH, I see this whole thing just a waste of my time, it’s better of seeing this around beginning of next year.

It feels like tbs changed their minds regarding animated programming.....(personally, i feel louis ck was the moment for tbs) i feel like the shows about to be burned off online (like tarantula), or if their generous, give it back to [AS]. With the exception for final space (and american dad), it feels tbs did not give any attention to their animated programming at SDCC, unlike the year before. i do feel like tbs has "given up" on their animated programming.
EDIT: also, the closure of the "Super Deluxe" channel on youtube makes me feel like turner was trying to slowly transform their other channels (the comedy focused ones) more and more into "AS" or as lite, whatever you wanna put it....i think that was a flawed concept from the beginning, seeing how as is a bit to unique in astetic to be fully replicated. that, plus the.... recent "infamy" (YOU KNOW what im talking about, not wanna get political) of their news channels also leads to thinking that turners priortites nowadays are more on its entertainment channels.

Last edited:

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
This makes someone like me all the more grateful that Final Space actually managed to release as planned, since that show is something western adult animation outright needed.

Doesn't make this show's mysterious radio silence any less curious and disappointing, but still. Seriously, I'd love to know what is even going on at this point. It probably does involve TBS's plans for adult animation mostly failing, with one being canned mid-production and the other having crashed and burned.

JTOONSAnimation

Just a theory...

TBS confirmed that American Dad! will return for new episodes every week starting January 28, 2019. When American Dad! aired new episodes prior it was usually accompanied by other shows. Maybe their holding back Close Enough so that way when American Dad! returns to air episodes 31 weeks straight (31 episodes), it can be accompanied by Final Space and Close Enough. The upcoming seasons of the respective shows will have 26 episodes combined. So maybe one show will air along with it, and then a few weeks later the other show will replace it.

Who knows?

JTOONSAnimation

Close Enough is not listed in WarnerMedia's "upcoming releases" for Turner, so no Close Enough this year.
XkIYfSP.jpg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts