DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm happy to see more of B:TAC, but I wouldn't say I'm jumping out of my seat with excitement. It's been a real mixed bag so far. What I would like to see...

- Paul Dini as the sole writer.
- Jordan Gibson on full art duties.
- A focused and concise six issue run.
- Single stand-alone issues for the entire run.
OR
-A six issue arc that gives itself time to breathe (The Court of Owls one felt far too truncated).

Pay just a little more attention to continuity and create something original and memorable. I'd say we are overdue for a really great Ra's Al Ghul story set in the DCAU (and no, it doesn't have to be the near apocalypse of '09).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I can't say I'm surprised. Both seasons had strong (digital) sales, and with McFarlane Toys reviving the toyline and the 30th Anniversary of B:TAS, there's enough incentive for another season.
Exactly. The 30th. Given, the BTAC Season II announcement was March 11, 2021 and it started June 1. So too late because the August solicits came out last month. But given Paul's timing and the 30th as you mentioned, I bet they're shooting for starting Season III on September 6 as "The Cat and The Claw" and BTAS premiered on September 5, 1992. Close enough and it would be on the same day as "On Leather Wings".

I'm happy to see more of B:TAC, but I wouldn't say I'm jumping out of my seat with excitement. It's been a real mixed bag so far. What I would like to see...

- Paul Dini as the sole writer.
- Jordan Gibson on full art duties.
- A focused and concise six issue run.
- Single stand-alone issues for the entire run.
OR
-A six issue arc that gives itself time to breathe (The Court of Owls one felt far too truncated).

Pay just a little more attention to continuity and create something original and memorable. I'd say we are overdue for a really great Ra's Al Ghul story set in the DCAU (and no, it doesn't have to be the near apocalypse of '09).
Yeah, I'm hoping for single stand-alone issues this time around. Don't want another season long arc. The Christmas story with Tim and Freeze was probably the best story of this entire run and even Issue #4 "The Muscle" to an extent before the Mayor Mayhem arc got into full gear were great one-in-dones.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey folks! Just a reminder that DC Pride 2022 #1 is now available today and it features Kevin Conroy's "Finding Batman." A memoir written by the voice of Batman himself, it's a sobering, unflinching look at Conroy's journey to the animated cowl that every single fan really should read. Check out the DC Pride 2022 #1 talkback to discuss this special DC Comics release!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Greg Weisman teases Young Justice: Targets #3. Print on sale September 27 and seems it involves some question of if the person they rescued is Perdita or not, plus the back up story stars Green Arrow.

Chris Jones posts the three covers.

Another interview. It's mentioned Phantoms production ended last November and Weisman did the 6 Targets scripts between September and December. At one point, the comic preceded Phantoms. Have seen #1 and 2 and Wright is inking #3.

Looking at sites and yeah, look like Targets #2's digital date will be July 12.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Greg Weisman teases Young Justice: Targets #3. Print on sale September 27 and seems it involves some question of if the person they rescued is Perdita or not, plus the back up story stars Green Arrow.
Yay, we're getting More Tim and Green Arrow (maybe the actual events of DC Showcase GA in Earth-16) :)?

It seems like the plan is to replace Perdita with a copy? I wonder if this some kind of Earth-based Manhunter plot or something :confused:.
On the plus side...Tim content with Looker and El Dorado! On the other hand he doesn't get to hang out with his family or Steph :(.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
7/20: Minor note but noticed the Amazon pre-order listing the the Justice League Infinity collection is now listed as a hardcover! Sweet. Given this and the Harley Quinn ones are digital firsts coming out as hardcovers, I'd bet that means the eventual YJ Targets collection will be a hardcover, too. :D EDIT: Nope, Amazon goofed, the JLI trade is a regular TPB.

7/22: A new Harley Quinn 6 issue comic book mini-series starts in October. But beware of what appears to be season 3 finale spoilers in the #1 logline. Couldn't use a fake logline until the end of September, DC?
HARLEY QUINN: THE ANIMATED SERIES: LEGION OF BATS! #1
Written by TEE FRANKLIN
Art by SHAE BEAGLE
Cover by YOSHI YOSHITANI
Variant cover by DAN HIPP
1:25 variant cover by LOGAN FAERBER
1:50 variant cover by JESS TAYLOR
$3.99 US | 32 pages | 1 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 10/18/22
When last we checked in with Harley Quinn, she ate, she banged, and she killed—but now it's time for something a little different. Fresh out of the events of Harley Quinn: The Animated Series season 3, Harley has found herself a part of a highly unlikely team—the Bat-Family! Meanwhile, Poison Ivy has found herself prepping for her new job—leader of the Legion of Doom! But while Harley and Ivy adjust to their respective new roles, a ghost from Ivy's past enters the fray and threatens the relationship between everyone's favorite clown/plant couple!

Covers and logline for Young Justice: Targets #4. Physical copy comes out October 25.
YOUNG JUSTICE: TARGETS #4
Written by GREG WEISMAN
Art and cover by CHRISTOPHER JONES
Variant cover by MEGHAN HETRICK
Black Adam variant cover by PAUL RENAUD
$3.99 US | 32 pages | 4 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 10/25/22
The search for Queen Perdita continues and the conspiracy behind her abduction deepens as Lex Luthor's involvement becomes apparent! Now the Outsiders and Gorilla Squad head to a Lexcorp robotics factory in Bialya to investigate further, and what they find will rock them to their core!

Last edited by a moderator:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
At least the Young Justice: Targets announcement had the conceit of the comic time-jumping, so we couldn't tell if the initial info spoiled anything or not until the season finale. This....yeah, big spoilers.

I'm surprised they haven't confirmed season 3 of Batman: The Adventures Continue yet. I guess Paul Dini's site maybe announced that too soon?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
8/17: Young Justice: Targets TPB set for July 2023.

8/19: Young Justice: Targets #5 in November solicits. Physical version releases November 22. We gettin' Metallo.
YOUNG JUSTICE: TARGETS #5

Written by GREG WEISMAN Art and cover by CHRISTOPHER JONES
Card stock variant cover by MEGHAN HETRICK $3.99 US | 32 pages | 5 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US
ON SALE 11/22/22

Just as it seemed that Superboy was about to make some headway, enter a Kryptonite-laced Metallo! Will the team be able to finally achieve their goal and rescue Perdita, or will the Lexcorp robotics factory be their final resting place? Check out this penultimate chapter to find out!

Harley Quinn: Legion of Bats! #2 comes out November 15.
HARLEY QUINN: THE ANIMATED SERIES: LEGION OF BATS! #2

Written by TEE FRANKLIN Art by SHAE BEAGLE Cover by YOSHI YOSHITANI
Variant cover by DAN HIPP 1:25 variant cover by JON SOMMARIVA
$3.99 US | 32 pages | 2 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock) ON SALE 11/15/22

While out shopping for new outfits at the New Gotham Mall, Harley and Ivy stumble across a possible recruit…but are they recruiting for good or for bad? And what loser(s) would dare to show up and ruin their shopping extravaganza? A very pissed-off Clock King and a butthurt Riddler. Meanwhile, Nightwing and Batgirl follow up on a lead that sends Harley reeling…as many villains' plans come to light. Everyone is out to tear our girls apart!

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Who are those villains on the HQ cover?

From left to right:

- Jinx?
Agreed, looks like they combined the comic version with the TT version's pink hair.

- Black Orchid?
Nightfall. Referenced during Journey to Love, Harlivy broke into her house in Detroit, brief cameo in #5.

- Queen Bee?

- I dunno, Flamingo?

- Black version of Plastique?
...I got nothing. Didn't occur to me Ivy's arc in this mini would be recruiting new members but then the #2 solicit hinted at it in retrospect. I just assumed, it would be the same members we saw on the show. But yeah, makes sense Ivy would want to recruit more female villains to the new Legion since that # was severely lacking and I think pointed out in season 1.

Frontier

Staff member
Nightfall. Referenced during Journey to Love, Harlivy broke into her house in Detroit, brief cameo in #5.
Ah, cool! Love me some obscure female villains :).
...I got nothing. Didn't occur to me Ivy's arc in this mini would be recruiting new members but then the #2 solicit hinted at it in retrospect. I just assumed, it would be the same members we saw on the show. But yeah, makes sense Ivy would want to recruit more female villains to the new Legion since that # was severely lacking and I think pointed out in season 1.
I keep waiting for them to give Cheetah actual lines :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts