Unpopular Opinions

Markus Nelis

People in America were diss shating on The Garfield Show. Obviously you only want to keep watching your story driven shows or SpongeBob and The Simpsons rather than give French animated shows a chance.

Zorak Masaki

Comedy Central was a lot better in the early-mid 90s. Lots of reruns of both classic (snl, monty python, kids in the hall, sctv) and obscure (The Ben Stiller Show, The Duck Factory) comedy shows, stand-up performances by people who would go on to bigger fame (Jim Breuer, Marc Maron, etc), British imports (Absolutely Fabulous, Whose Line is it Anyway), and experimental and innovative Sketch comedy shows like Limboland, The Vacant Lot, and Exit 57 (featuring a young Stephen Colbert), and of course, MST3K. Sure, they have stuff like Key and Peele and South Park nowadays, but I preferred the more "wild west" approach of the early days.

the greenman

Comedy Central was a lot better in the early-mid 90s. Lots of reruns of both classic (snl, monty python, kids in the hall, sctv) and obscure (The Ben Stiller Show, The Duck Factory) comedy shows, stand-up performances by people who would go on to bigger fame (Jim Breuer, Marc Maron, etc), British imports (Absolutely Fabulous, Whose Line is it Anyway), and experimental and innovative Sketch comedy shows like Limboland, The Vacant Lot, and Exit 57 (featuring a young Stephen Colbert), and of course, MST3K. Sure, they have stuff like Key and Peele and South Park nowadays, but I preferred the more "wild west" approach of the early days.
That was my intro in the 90's (actually I was introduced to it when it was in transition, so it started as the Comedy Channel). So I saw alot of these guys who recently passed away like Gottfried and Saget doing short comedy stints. Almost like commercial bumpers.

I liked the strange kids stuff like Lancelot Link, MST3K, Clutch Cargo, Supercar, and yeah Jon Stewart practically made that channel. Not sure if Bill Maher was on there too, but he was coming up in the 90's.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
That was my intro in the 90's (actually I was introduced to it when it was in transition, so it started as the Comedy Channel). So I saw alot of these guys who recently passed away like Gottfried and Saget doing short comedy stints. Almost like commercial bumpers.

I liked the strange kids stuff like Lancelot Link, MST3K, Clutch Cargo, Supercar, and yeah Jon Stewart practically made that channel. Not sure if Bill Maher was on there too, but he was coming up in the 90's.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

To be super-accurate, the channel we now know as Comedy Central was initially a hybrid of 2 channels: HA! which was owned by Viacom and The Comedy Channel which was owned by HBO. HA! was similar to Nick @ Nite only 24/7 and with the emphasis on comedy rather than nostalgia (it showed black-and-white comedy series such as You Bet Your Life, Your Show of Shows and McHale's Navy as well as more contemporary comedy shows like TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes, SNL and SCTV) while Comedy Channel specialized in stand-up specials and comedy movies.

HA! only lasted a year from April 1, 1990 to April 1, 1991 before the 2 merged to become Comedy Central.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
A lot of people are grossed out by piercings other than ears, but I don't like ear piercings either. They don't freak me out as much as nose, lip, or bellybutton piercings, but they do freak me out.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The Impractical Jokers fandom is awful. I do enjoy that show but I can’t stand the show’s fans!
I remember the time when one fan posted a comment on YouTube in one of their videos that Joe should be gone after throwing Murr's blanket into a fiery pit from six years ago ignoring that Murr stated on Twitter that said blanket was actually not his real blanket.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
i’m surprised that no one brought up but..
Impractical Jokers Fandom is Awful. i do enjoy that show but i can’t stand the show’s fans!
I don't like the show either. I tried watching it last year and was thoroughly annoyed after only five minutes. Here's my impression of the show:

[Candid Camera-style scenario] [watching from the other room: "BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"] Repeat ad nauseum.

Pooky

Staff member
I thought it was OK (at the time). Strangely, one of my local discount shops got a stock of tie-in Making of Books for the film about a year ago.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
My unpopular opinion is Teen Titans Go! is actually a good show.
There's a thread in which you can post that opinion.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My unpopular opinion is Teen Titans Go is actually a good show.
Incoming!

There's a thread in which you can post that opinion.
Actually you can post about cartoons in this thread too. This is the catch-all thread.

Zorak Masaki

Hasbro didn't make GI Joe and Transformers the massive franchises they are today.

Marvel did.
Yeah, Bob Budiansky doesnt get enough credit for creating the names and backstories of the Transformers (mainly because several fans prefer the Simon Furman years, though I think the Budiansky years were more fun, Afterdeath and the Underbase Saga werent being the exception of course, though the latter was well-written).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I have two opinions about TV's Dinosaurs, one of them unpopular. The other one is more of an observation younger people on this board might not have realized about the show. But I don't think the second opinion is actually unusual. You just might not have heard it before.

Dinosaurs Opinion The First:

Fandom is utterly and hopelessly wrong. I freaking LOVED the last episode of Dinosaurs! It went for it! Full stop and no apologies. The Dinosaurs going extinct wasn't just what the show itself was building towards. It was woven into the fabric of the entire premise. Was I saddened and bummed out by that ending? Yes. Was it 100% the right ending for this specific show? Absolutely. Fearless, and a case of the writers putting the money of their ecological messaging where their mouths were.

Dinosaurs Opinion The Second:

ABC absolutely wasted that show, and had no idea what to do with it. I will never say that Dinosaurs was great television on a weekly basis. Critics have sniffed it was a warmed-over puppet version of The Simpsons, and those types of people are what are scientifically known as "correct". But it could have been huge. It had merchandisable characters and catchphrases galore, but ABC always either bounced it around the schedule, or had it on constant hiatus. Aside from infamously inserting a laugh track in season one at the last minute against the producers' wishes, one of the show's most notable hiatuses occurred during... (checks notes to make sure David Barry is NOT making this up) the Jurassic Park craze? Seriously? Literally all everyone was talking about in 1993 was Dinosaurs, ABC had an entire show ABOUT Dinosaurs, and it was mostly benched, and didn't even TRY to piggyback on the craze via clever TV spots (I think there might have been a total of one). Great television or not, Dinosaurs had the potential to be a sensation, and ABC utterly wasted it the same way they did Twin Peaks. In both cases they caught lightning in a bottle and immediately let it all out before either show could become smashes or institutions. That network had a LOT of problems back then.

The messed up thing is ABC STILL treated Dinosaurs FAR better than they did Twin Peaks. And yes, I know what I just said.

Edit:

Here's an unpopular opinion about Twin Peaks. In hindsight, Season 2 is 100% solid. As it was going it pissed a LOT of people off, but when you view it again years later, both the Laura Palmer mystery resolution and the supernatural elements added during the second half of the season hold together perfectly, which is not something anybody realized at the time. History hasn't just vindicated David Lynch about Twin Peaks in general. I think it also vindicated the second season, which he was less involved in, and critics couldn't wait to scapegoat because the show's funkiness frightened them. Is Season 2 as good as Season 1 (or The Return for that matter)? Not even. But I will argue it was still better than every other competing thing on television in 1991 including The Simpsons and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Actually you can post about cartoons in this thread too. This is the catch-all thread.
I know but it's just that this thread hasn't been the catch-all thread since the thread for animated shows and films was introduced 23 months ago as this is notably the reason why animation-related opinions are now seldom in this thread.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts