Will Future Marvel Cartoons On Disney Plus Mainly Be Revivals And MCU Tie Ins?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The Marvel cartoons for Disney Plus (whether they're out now or will come out in the future) seem to be going for established franchises. We have What If and the upcoming Spiderman: Freshman Year, both of which are tied to the MCU. We also have the upcoming X-Men 97, which is a revival of the 1992 X Men series. Now I know that is only 3 shows, but look at the other Marvel cartoons that are either out now or will come out. We have Spidey And His Amazing Friends on Disney Junior, both MODOK and Hit Monkey on Hulu, and the upcoming Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur for Disney Channel. These are all in their own worlds and not connected to other Marvel projects. Is this what it will be like for any future Marvel cartoons, where anything that's not on Disney Plus won't be connected to another Marvel project? What do you think?

the greenman

I feel like that's connected to the horrible mainline comics made nowadays. Though, Feige was put in charge of the comics, so not a shocker. Right now, the mainstream comics freaking SUCK imho.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Let's please not derail this topic with politics or social issues, which aren't allowed on the forum.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Rather funny how we've complained about synergy a decade ago and now it's more literal than ever before. Due to what the Hulu Marvel toons have become, I doubt they'll commission any more, since that was more of an old guard decision. Moon Girl seems to quite obviously be yet another Disney toon about a wacky girl and her unconventional deuteragonist, so unless Disney plans on almost going against the grain with another Marvel IP like BH6, we're likely to get more in the vein of what's become their gold standard.

For a wholly new project, it's either tie into the MCU or tie into the Disney branding or become another toyetic anime. I don't think anyone there is interested in a conventional series about the most well-known heroes/teams. To them, we already have multiple generations/variations of those tv shows.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Rather funny how we've complained about synergy a decade ago and now it's more literal than ever before. Due to what the Hulu Marvel toons have become, I doubt they'll commission any more, since that was more of an old guard decision. Moon Girl seems to quite obviously be yet another Disney toon about a wacky girl and her unconventional deuteragonist, so unless Disney plans on reinventing another Marvel IP like BH6, we're likely to get more in the vein of what's become their gold standard.
I would like second seasons for MODOK and Hit-Monkey...

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I feel like that's connected to the horrible mainline comics made nowadays. Though, Feige was put in charge of the comics, so not a shocker. Right now, the mainstream comics freaking SUCK imho.
I believe those stuff happened before Feige took over as it happened under Quesada and Brevoort and those two guys are still around.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
I'd say the simple fact we're getting an X-Men revival already shows they don't need all their animated series to be MCU related.
So we're clearly getting more stuff like that eventually.

bigdaddy313

I really, really hope not.

I was honestly kind of bummed that the next main Spider-Man cartoon is going to be an MCU tie-in instead of its own thing.

We need more variety in Marvel Animation and stuff that isn't forced to tie-in to the MCU.
After I watched No Way Home; this Spider-Man show makes a hole lot of sense.

Last edited:

the greenman

Even though I'm always wary of Weisman's writing, Spectacular Spider-man would be interesting to see return. Also, it probably won't happen, but a third season of Avengers: EMH.

Medinnus

Staff member
Even though I'm always wary of Weisman's writing, Spectacular Spider-man would be interesting to see return. Also, it probably won't happen, but a third season of Avengers: EMH.

I agree that AEMH would be a great selection for a third season, if they got Josh Fine and Chris Yost back; the hack fill-in crap from the writers group Msn of Action made much of Season Two unwatchable, and a cautionary tale about writers of quality.

Word from Fine was that Season Three was going to focus on "Magic and Mutants" (IIRC) before Loeb went ahead and cancelled it to put is own Avengers MCU-based series out. We'd have gotten to see the Beta Ray Bill and Surtur threads resolved, and Wanda and Pietro introduced.

Frontier

Staff member
I agree that AEMH would be a great selection for a third season, if they got Josh Fine and Chris Yost back; the hack fill-in crap from the writers group Msn of Action made much of Season Two unwatchable, and a cautionary tale about writers of quality.

Word from Fine was that Season Three was going to focus on "Magic and Mutants" (IIRC) before Loeb went ahead and cancelled it to put is own Avengers MCU-based series out. We'd have gotten to see the Beta Ray Bill and Surtur threads resolved, and Wanda and Pietro introduced.
You never know what you've lost until it's gone...

the greenman

It'll likely not happen anytime soon, given thaf the show's IP rights are still with Sony and Weisman is busy with Young Justice.
Only reason I brought up Spec Spider-man was I believe that Sony will have a partnership with Disney + next year. So we're getting Spider-man stuff on there anyway. It's only a temporary contract though.

the greenman

Yes but it still doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon.

The arrangement means Disney will be able to offer new Sony movies, including any new installments in Marvel's "Spider-Man" and "Venom" series, starting in 2023. First, they will play in theaters and be offered on DVD and video-on-demand. Next, they will head to Netflix for an exclusive 18-month period before going to Disney+ or other Disney platforms.

The agreement covers new Sony films that debut in theaters between 2022 to 2026.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts