King of the Hill returning to Adult Swim after 3 years

CNC

According to the official [adult swim] schedule, it looks like the FOX show King of the Hill is returning to the block after a 3-year absence, starting with the Season 6 episode Bobby Goes Nuts. (“That’s my purse! I don’t know you!”)

1637269364410.png

….which is absolutely weird to me. Because this time, they’ll be airing the show WHILE the show also airs on FXX every day in the afternoon. That block ain’t right, I’ll tell ya hwat.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Yeah, I'm surprised and confused. I would've thought the show airing on FXX would mean it couldn't air outside of the FX/Disney family of channels.

Maybe they'll get ahold of Futurama again when the Bob's Burgers rights expire?

creator

Great King of the Hill episodes to kick off the return! It feels like this lineup could've aired 7 years ago.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This kicks Naruto reruns out. Anime can't get a break and is still quarantined to Toonami. Samurai Jack reruns also get the boot.

jokerbeans2091

it should have never went to comedy central in the first place but they literally acquired it just to play at 4am in the morning then proceed to remove it from the schedule great logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
(sighs) Look, I understand that Adult Swim was a major success due to FOX reruns and it still brings in good ratings and advertisers, but was it really necessary now? Me? Absolutely not.

We already had Fox reruns airing on various networks streaming services, and current Fox Animation shows still airing new episodes on Sunday nights, so Adult Swim airing FOX reruns wasn't special nor needed anymore. It used to be a cool thing back then, but now it's getting oversaturated at this point.

I gotta ask :what really make Adult Swim so special that it have to take over Cartoon Network's 8p-11p primetime hours for over 10 years just for FOX reruns? I can understand if it's for Adult Swim originals, but for shows that were from a broadcast network aired in syndication on a cable network, what makes them so special about it to the point it incredibly eclipsed Cartoon Network's primetime hours? I really want to know. I'm legitimately curious.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
(sighs) Look, I understand that Adult Swim was a major success due to FOX reruns and it still brings in good ratings and advertisers, but was it really necessary now? Me? Absolutely not.

We already had Fox reruns airing on various networks streaming services, and current Fox Animation shows still airing new episodes on Sunday nights, so Adult Swim airing FOX reruns wasn't special nor needed anymore. It used to be a cool thing back then, but now it's getting oversaturated at this point.

That's how modern cable operates with constant reruns of popular shows. Fox shows have a lot more casual appeal than the usually experimental and bizarre originals (sans the mainstream RIck and Morty, which is the only thing that can toe to toe with Fox reruns) and the anime. Anime and serialized stuff seems to do badly in reruns because you have to watch every episode to understand what's going on, and that's why Naruto's Saturday rerun got dumped in favor of King of the Hill. Fox reruns are just accessible.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
That's how modern cable operates with constant reruns of popular shows. Fox shows have a lot more casual appeal than the usually experimental and bizarre originals (sans the mainstream RIck and Morty, which is the only thing that can toe to toe with Fox reruns) and the anime. Anime and serialized stuff seems to do badly in reruns because you have to watch every episode to understand what's going on, and that's why Naruto's Saturday rerun got dumped in favor of King of the Hill. Fox reruns are just accessible.
Okay, I can understand that point, but even still was it even worth for Adult Swim to eat up Cartoon Network's primetime hours?

Last edited:

SpaceCowboy

That's nice, maybe Disney is reconsidering the dumb idea of not having others have rights to stuff.
I'd think it's more likely this show is a lower priority for them to keep exclusive, because it's been out of production for so long. It's also possible the syndication rights were still available and AS jumped at the opportunity.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak

I gotta ask :what really make Adult Swim so special that it have to take over Cartoon Network's 8p-11p primetime hours for over 10 years just for FOX reruns? I can understand if it's for Adult Swim originals, but for shows that were from a broadcast network aired in syndication on a cable network, what makes them so special about it to the point it incredibly eclipsed Cartoon Network's primetime hours? I really want to know. I'm legitimately curious.
The primetime ad buys are different, with Adult Swim, they get different advertisers than CN, even though the don't do this, they can have more ad time than the children's programming, that's why Nick at Nite is going still too. FOX shows are more main stream, like bait, they'll tune in for Family Guy and maybe stay for Toonami. From my experience I've watched more King of the Hill on FXX than I do on Hulu, which I have, there's a weird convince of just turning to channel.
Okay, I can understand that point, but even still was it even worth for Adult Swim to eat up Cartoon Network's primetime hours?
Going off what I mentioned above, the target audience is less likely watching at 9pm at least Sunday-Thursday. Your point about other places works for FOX stuff , also for CN; CN stuff is on their app/site, Hulu, and HBO Max , Cable on Demand as well. I think CN should go 6am to 10pm just fine on Fridays and Saturdays and go 6am to 9pm on weekdays.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
The primetime ad buys are different, with Adult Swim, they get different advertisers than CN, even though the don't do this, they can have more ad time than the children's programming, that's why Nick at Nite is going still too. FOX shows are more main stream, like bait, they'll tune in for Family Guy and maybe stay for Toonami. From my experience I've watched more King of the Hill on FXX than I do on Hulu, which I have, there's a weird convince of just turning to channel.
True true. Fox shows had a much more broader appeal compare to Adult Swim shows, even Toonami.

Going off what I mentioned above, the target audience is less likely watching at 9pm at least Sunday-Thursday. Your point about other places works for FOX stuff , also for CN; CN stuff is on their app/site, Hulu, and HBO Max , Cable on Demand as well. I think CN should go 6am to 10pm just fine on Fridays and Saturdays and go 6am to 9pm on weekdays.
I agree. Why can't they go for that instead?

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I agree. Why can't they go for that instead?

Because the higher ups at CN/AS have decided that AS brings in more revenue in those hours than CN did. They determined that CN can get the 8-9 slot during the holiday months but outside of that, it goes back to AS. It's mirroring what Nick does with Nick at Nite.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Because the higher ups at CN/AS have decided that AS brings in more revenue in those hours than CN did. They determined that CN can get the 8-9 slot during the holiday months but outside of that, it goes back to AS. It's mirroring what Nick does with Nick at Nite.
I see.

jokerbeans2091

how about mondays-thursdays 8pm and friday-sunday 9pm that ain’t bad and nickelodeon just chooses what time N@N can start one night 9 and another is 11 they need to just find a time and stick to it already

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts