Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

harry580

The Addams Family movies don't work visually because the characters are too exaggerated. Personally, I think the primary four members of the family should look normal, but also slightly off to play off the fact that from their perspective they're perfectly normal. The movie designs go so far that you're never able to buy into that and it's distracting.
so you are talking about the 1991 and 1993 movies, the 1998 saban film or the 2019 and 2021 Addam family animated films or all of it

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I liked the Addams Family cartoon Hanna-Barbera made in the 1990s, but I still cannot to this day get why they thought turning Lurch into that blue, Incredible Hulk-like monstorsity was a good idea. Otherwise, loved the show and the vocal performances (Rip Taylor's Uncle Fester was awesome!).

the greenman

I liked the Addams Family cartoon Hanna-Barbera made in the 1990s, but I still cannot to this day get why they thought turning Lurch into that blue, Incredible Hulk-like monstorsity was a good idea. Otherwise, loved the show and the vocal performances (Rip Taylor's Uncle Fester was awesome!).
The modern films that have come out over last few years.
I may be misremembering this, but wasn't Tim Burton going to do this latest update as stop-motion? That would've been fantastic with his sentimentality. Also if he did the updated designs.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Pooky

Staff member
Definitely at one point within the last decade or so Tim Burton was going to make a stop-motion Addams movie.

the greenman

Definitely at one point within the last decade or so Tim Burton was going to make a stop-motion Addams movie.
Buried in a Wikipedia article:

In 2010, after Illumination Entertainment acquired the rights to The Addams Family comics, they began work on the film at Universal Pictures as a stop-motion animation directed by Tim Burton and produced by Chris Meledandri.[6] After development stopped, however, in 2013, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer announced that they would produce the animated film based on The Addams Family comics, with Pamela Pettler then writing the screenplay.[7][8]

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I....actually don't mind Cartoon Network ends at 9pm.

I know that a lot of people(including myself) wants CN to end at 10pm. However, I did some research on this forum by looking at old CN schedules from 2009-2011, I don't think ending it at 10pm wouldn't make that much of a difference.

If you really do think about it, for a long time, Cartoon Network didn't use to its prime time slot to its advantage as it should of. It was mostly just encores and repeats of the same shows. We've seen this before with Total Drama, Adventure Time, and Regular Show back then and it's happening with Gumball, Teen Titans Go, and Total Dramarama now.

They could've used the 9pm hour for shows that hasn't aired in a while like Mao Mao, but for some reason, they didn't. Also, Adult Swim is not going to give up their prime time hours since they still brings in big ratings, whatever we like it or not.

Now don't twist my words, I still hate the fact that CN ended at 8pm since I thought it was way too early, but what I'm saying that I don't think CN ending at 10pm wouldn't make that much of a difference since they had been using the 9pm hour for reruns and not enough anything new, unless they REALLY want to use it for new content.

With that said, I don't think CN ending it at 9pm is a bad thing. In fact, I think it's good enough.

Think of this way: Imagine you want to get a new computer that is fast, great daily usage, a sizable storage, and could lasted for a long time. However, you want a computer that is not too expensive (16 GB of RAM), but not too cheap either (4GB of RAM). So having a computer that has 8GB of RAM is a prefect sweet spot for your daily usage.

It's the same thing Cartoon Network ending at 9pm. So I don't think CN really needs to end at 10pm, when they could use the 6pm/7pm to 9pm primetime slot for premieres that they had right now. Hell, ACME Night did this, so why not take it to the next level?

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I think that Jellystone! is a better Looney Tunes show than The Looney Tunes Show* was. In fact, when I first heard that there was going to be a Looney Tunes show in which all of the LT characters would be living together in a single town, I was expecting something more like Jellystone! .

*To be clear, I'm talking specifically about The Looney Tunes Show, the animated sitcom that ran on Cartoon Network from 2011 to 2014, not New Looney Tunes nor HBO Max's Looney Tunes Cartoons, both of which I enjoy.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I think that Jellystone! is a better Looney Tunes show than The Looney Tunes Show* was. In fact, when I first heard that there was going to be a Looney Tunes show in which all of the LT characters would be living together in a single town, I was expecting something more like Jellystone! .

*To be clear, I'm talking specifically about The Looney Tunes Show, the animated sitcom that ran on Cartoon Network from 2011 to 2014, not New Looney Tunes nor HBO Max's Looney Tunes Cartoons, both of which I enjoy.
Have to agree. Unlike most people, I prefer Looney Tunes Cartoons (circa 2020) anyday over whatever The Looney Tunes Show (2011) was - that show just plain sucked, IMHO.
Im not sorry when I say this: Looney Tunes mixed with sitcom-level humor and conflicts just DID AND/OR DOES NOT MIX.

Don't get me wrong: I may not be that absolutely in love with Jellystone!, to be further honest with myself, but whatever Jellystone! is doing or at least trying to do? THAT has definitely held my attention better in a positive light and I at least had some actual fun with watching it, by comparison to TLTS (2011), which just made me angry and disappointed from the very beginning, unfortunately.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
This is probably dead horse territory on these boards, but I... kinda like Beware the Batman? I've been watching it on HBO Max for the first time and I like how they're not just reusing the same rogues gallery from other shows, and the CG animation gives it a different look and feel than previous entries. Plus, Katana is awesome.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
What I love about JellyStone! is the riffing on various aspects of Hanna-Barbera lore from over the years, like when Yogi wakes up from surgery to say he had a weird dream about races in outer space, which would be a reference to Yogi's Space Races, I'd assume.
It is. In that same episode, Yogi does a hip-hop dance while chanting "Yo-Yo-Yo Yogi!", referencing the H-B kiddification cartoon Yo, Yogi! which ran on NBC in 1991. In another episode titled "Boo-Boots", Yogi mentions to a crowd of admirers the time that he "stopped global warming with a flying boat", which is a reference to the old Saturday morning Yogi's Gang from 1973.

user313856

It is. In that same episode, Yogi does a hip-hop dance while chanting "Yo-Yo-Yo Yogi!", referencing the H-B kiddification cartoon Yo, Yogi! which ran on NBC in 1991. In another episode titled "Boo-Boots", Yogi mentions to a crowd of admirers the time that he "stopped global warming with a flying boat", which is a reference to the old Saturday morning Yogi's Gang from 1973.
I find interesting how Hanna-Barbera made environmental cartoons in the early 70s, when the topic wasn't anywhere near as mainstream as it is today.

Have to agree. Unlike most people, I prefer Looney Tunes Cartoons (circa 2020) anyday over whatever The Looney Tunes Show (2011) was - that show just plain sucked, IMHO.
Im not sorry when I say this: Looney Tunes mixed with sitcom-level humor and conflicts just DID AND/OR DOES NOT MIX.

Don't get me wrong: I may not be that absolutely in love with Jellystone!, to be further honest with myself, but whatever Jellystone! is doing or at least trying to do? THAT has definitely held my attention better in a positive light and I at least had some actual fun with watching it, by comparison to TLTS (2011), which just made me angry and disappointed from the very beginning, unfortunately.
I haven't watched either of them, but I'm interested in at least trying to approach them with an open mind when I finally get to watch them. Of TLTS (2021), the episode with Cecil B. Turtle screwing up with Bugs Bunny seems to be fun.

Anyway, I like to see that TLTS acquired some passionate fanbase, and people overall don't seem to be as strongly against it as before. At worst, they are indifferent.

the greenman

This is probably dead horse territory on these boards, but I... kinda like Beware the Batman? I've been watching it on HBO Max for the first time and I like how they're not just reusing the same rogues gallery from other shows, and the CG animation gives it a different look and feel than previous entries. Plus, Katana is awesome.
I think they should do a Batman & the Outsiders animated series. I'm pretty sure BtB was the closest we got.
Edit: yes YJ Outsiders was obviously closer in storytelling, but the team is too altered.

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
I find interesting how Hanna-Barbera made environmental cartoons in the early 70s, when the topic wasn't anywhere near as mainstream as it is today.
Environmentalism has been a common theme for a long time, tho the exact focus may have changed.

Here, from the Beverly Hillbillies, an esisode about smog in the 1970: The Beverly Hillbillies

Seabert, a cartoon about illegal poaching from the 80’s: Seabert - Wikipedia

Captain Planet, about general environmentalism, early 90’s: Captain Planet and the Planeteers - Wikipedia

From Pokémon, an episode about balancing animal & human needs, from the late-90’s: Dig Those Diglett! | Pokémon TV

user313856

I don't hate filler episodes like it seems so common for people to do nowadays. I often enjoy them, sometimes love them. All seems to be about plot nowadays. When I love a world and set of characters, I love to be with them no matter what. I love those episodes and moments of the characters "doing nothing". I find them charming and heartwarming in how silly and low-key they can be. They showcase the simple pleasantries of mundane life, of strong friendship, of just living, or making bad jokes, of sibling having a childish bickering, of kids being kids, and so on. It's why I love Tales Of Ba Sing Se, for example (the Zuko, Iroh, Katara with Toph, and Sokka segments being my favorites). Also why I don't mind the slower pacing of the first half of Book 3. And I love episodes such as The Headband and The Cave Of Two Lovers. Also why I love comic book tie-ins such as The Lost Adventures, which are mostly short and silly stories about the Gaang's shenanigans.

I'm also not that enamored with the concept of binging overall. For me, TV shows (whether serialized or episodic) are often their best when taken slowly, sometimes without even a rigorous schedule. TV shows aren't movies. I don't mind case-of-the-week plots and so on, even in the shows most heavy with overarching arcs. I think that the long waits and attachment to characters and settings for years are the magic of serialized storytelling, always has been. Not taking all of it at once. Relax and don't take shows too seriously or expecting a mind-blowing masterpiece. The magic slowly conquers you in casual ways, like it was my case with ATLA and any show I love really, I never watched them expecting unimpeachable masterpieces. Hence also why I often really don't mind the filler episodes that have so many people furious. I often welcome such episodes, and I love for even "serious" in shows to indulge in silliness sometimes.

I really don't have problems with some corniness and silliness, and even entire episodes devoted to such. I'll bring the DCAU shows as a great example. I grew up with the DCAU, and I love they are a mix of light over-arching plots, but still mainly episodic. And for all the rave we give to the DCAU's biggest and most serious moments, I often love it just as much when it indulges in being silly and corny. Take episodes such as Kids' Stuff, from JLU. I love it. Love the whole silliness and wonder of it all. Seeing the Justice League as kids, and behaving as such, is charming and warms my heart, I don't care about anyone calling it corny and cheesy in a dismissive manner. In fact, perhaps my only complaint about the episode is the ending. Morgan Le Fey says that her son broke the spell that gave him eternal youth, so now he has only eternal life. Then the episode ends with her caring for her decrepit son. It's such a creepy, cruel and disturbing ending that it clashes with the cheery and silly tone of the rest of the episode.

Also love the episode with Batman singing "Am I Blue?". What more do I need to say? And I love that it is silliness with heart. Really charming and heartwarming.

Some episodes are more memorable than others, but the DCAU is filled with episodes that want to be simple silly action super-hero fun and adventure, and I have no problems enjoying pretty much all of them, and often loving such episodes.

One show I grew up loving is Teen Titans (2000s). It's far from a perfect show, but it still succeeds where I care the most: characters and fun action. And I often realize that's what I need the most. Inconsistency and flaws are often not major deals to me, specially if I love the core of it. But I don't like how lots of the show's fans, specially when criticizing Teen Titans Go, pretend as if Teen Titans was a serious dramatic show all the time. Far from such. I often loved (and still do) many of its completely silly and goofy episodes as much as its "serious" ones. One shouldn't be seen as inferior to the other. Episodes with Mad Mod or Mumbo Jumbo rule! I specially love this one!

And really, my big problem with Teen Titans Go is not that it is a comedy show, or that it is silly: my problem is how the characters are often written as completely one-dimensional jerks, and not of the likeable kind. It feels so gratuitously mean, and the humor often so vulgar. I can decently enjoy some episodes of it if I catch the show on TV really, though I pretty much never actively seek the show to watch. And it has its clever moments.

I also would like to mention the filler episode of Naruto in which Team 7 tries to see Kakashi's face. Silly shenanigans ensue! Episodes and moments like this make characters feel like real people, develop natural friendships, emotional attachments, and make kids feel like kids (which is something that Avatar - The Last Airbender was so amazing at with its Team Avatar, and I wish Naruto did such more often, screw those who often just dismiss such stuff as kiddish).

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with having impulsive and cheery kids as main characters. So sick of seeing such characters often dismissed (I always get annoyed at people calling Aang obnoxious and annoying, ignoring all his qualities too, and the fact that being cheery and impulsive makes total sense for a kid, specially one with crushing responsible, and also for adults sometimes and in a different way). And a kids' crush is corny, that's part of the charm.

Last edited:

kirbygame

i hate Cosmodore's videos. yes even before he was exposed for being (words censored).

mainly because i can't stand these videos from him. his Spongebob episodes ranking are basically poor man's version of Pieguyrulz's Every Spongebob Episodes Reviewed. (and not to mention way too predictable.) his obscure cartoons reviews are insulting. overused words like "Terrible" or "Mediocre" in his video's title. (his Plane Review, his Croods Review, etcs) and does anyone even find his meme thumbnails even funny? (did you or someone else?)

but yeah, i hate Cosmodore before, and i hate him even more as hell when he's exposed..

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts