"So What Have You Read Lately?" Take Two

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
With wonderfly's suggestion I decided to make new thread from his original which stopped sometime in 2011.

But yeah this is give your two cents on some comics recent or revisits you want to discuss, but feel they may not succeed as their own thread.

Discuss more than one comic if you wish, but don't just post a list.

As for me, rereading each of the Graphic Novel volumes I have of The Baby-Sitters Club and it's spinoff (also adapted) Baby-Sitters Little Sister.

Never read the original books, but I would often watch the original live action series on the Disney Channel (though it aired on HBO as well I believe).

So when I saw the early volumes of the series at the library as adapted by Raina Telgemeier, I checked them out and found them to be fun reads. Can't say if the series as a whole is quality read or not, but always up for more simple fun.

Telgemeier also sometime after Volume 4 did some of her own GNs stand alone such as Drama and Ghosts, but also 3 books (Smile, Sister and Guts) that while readable on their own are an autobiography on her childhood.

Not sure if it's going ot be a regular thing, but the writer seems to have once again changed to alternating between writers Gabriela Epstein and Chan Chau (Volume 5-8 being adapted by a Gale Galligan).

And yes I have checked out the Netflix series and enjoy it so far. It is returning for another season I hear.

Edit: Just had to be sure pics were permitted, but the Raina Telgemeier originals:
20210511_185815.jpg

Feel free to do the same, especially if you have an old or new obscure favorite.:-D

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

Superman Smashes the Klan (DC, 3-issue miniseries). This is a terrific all-ages story based on an arc from the old Superman radio show. The charming art style would easily adapt to animation (hint, hint!) for a movie most likely to be rated PG.

Most recently I've read (don't laugh) the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Annual 2021. This is a done-in-one tale that takes a team led by Rarity on a diplomatic mission to the Diamond Dog kingdom of Caninia. It also ties into the larger story arc that is running throughout the Season 10 comics. It's not perfect, but this would have made for a decent episode of the show.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Superman Smashes the Klan (DC, 3-issue miniseries). This is a terrific all-ages story based on an arc from the old Superman radio show. The charming art style would easily adapt to animation (hint, hint!) for a movie most likely to be rated PG.

Most recently I've read (don't laugh) the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Annual 2021. This is a done-in-one tale that takes a team led by Rarity on a diplomatic mission to the Diamond Dog kingdom of Caninia. It also ties into the larger story arc that is running throughout the Season 10 comics. It's not perfect, but this would have made for a decent episode of the show.
Have SSTK as well.

As for MLP, I'll take some heat off you. I just turned 39 and am a guy.

And I've spent a good amount on trades, the Busy Books mostly to get some figures cheap, even the Daring Do Adventure Collection.

Plus as reminder of my first post I got TBSC GNs not too long ago. So for right now the title of weirdest is mine:-D.

But yeah been doing just a comic store visit a month due to circumstances and I should be getting my copy of the MLP Annual, I hope.

Last edited:

kid rabbit

marvels strange academy the only teen marvel book that isn't woke
meaning it's actually good seriously go read it

Antiyonder

Staff member
marvels strange academy the only teen marvel book that isn't woke
meaning it's actually good seriously go read it

Cool. I'd like to hear more about the appeal of it when you have more time so no hurry.

My problem with Marvel has little to do with the politics but like with DC trying to have their cake and eat it too since the 90s to a point.

We're suppose to take them seriously but they impose the limitations of a licensed book in keeping the heroes in their prime and freezing time passage rather than letting them age, retire, pass on, letting newer heroes become the mainline, etc. It won't happen anytime soon, but that's how I feel.

Heck one of my regulars the IDW Sonic might be the most average and safe licensed comic, but some serious moments from say that Metal Zombie arc aside it's a fun book that doesn't claim to be something it's not.

Considering Nick Spencer's Spider-Man, but yeah since the 90s again we go from a run telling good stories to a bad run trying to emphasis Spider-Man being young and single. Even to the point or him being a more immature adult than he was when actually a teen. And I hear sales on the flagship title was lower after OMD, yet obviously Marvel and Slott kept up the young/immature angle.

Ramble over:-D.

As far as the big two goes, just DC and even then it's Batman The Adventures Continues and The Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries (12 issue Maxiseries). Going to get Superman '78 and Justice League Infinity (the upcoming new DCAU book). Maybe the Batman '89, maybe. I am going to be getting the next Spider-Ham collection which I think is coming September.

Anyway, I'll make one more edit to the main post, but I did add in a pic of the Raina Telgemeier books and okay the same being done, especially if anyone wants to help share a very obscure previous or current read.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

Justice League Infinity #1. Continuing the Justice League of the DCAU. I'm down I'm that!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #99. A terrific done-in-one featuring Pinkie, her sister Marble Pie and Cheese (Weird Al) Sandwich. Only three issues left in the run.

Stray Dogs #4 (of 4). Dogs versus serial killer. So who wants to option this for an animated movie?

Antiyonder

Staff member
For me, it's Boom Studios' Power Rangers.

Been keeping up with that. Only thing aside from some GNs I'm missing is Go Go #32.
Justice League Infinity #1. Continuing the Justice League of the DCAU. I'm down I'm that!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #99. A terrific done-in-one featuring Pinkie, her sister Marble Pie and Cheese (Weird Al) Sandwich. Only three issues left in the run.

Stray Dogs #4 (of 4). Dogs versus serial killer. So who wants to option this for an animated movie?

Have the first two plus 100 as seen in this which is the two pics of my recent store purchase:
AAQfvwAACIsk.jpg

AAQfvwAACIsl.jpg

These dollar comics and some newer covers for some F4 issues and a short box are why I only got a few recent purchases.

Also Otaku-sempai: You are aware of the MLP Generations mini coming out after #102 right? Has the cast crossing over with G1.

And a recent Amazon purchase which I pre-ordered in January:
20210727_141359.jpg

As mentioned when I read info on what's being included as advertised is:

- Darkwing Duck: Just Us Justice Ducks

- A Goofy Movie

- Legend of the Chaos God (Goes throughout Tale Spin, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Goof Troops, DuckTales and Darkwing Duck)

But there is actually more:
- Adventures of the Gummi Bears: The Legend of Tummi, The Werebear

- DuckTales: A Beagle Badtime Story

- Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers: New Kid on the Dock

- Bonkers: Raging Bull

- DuckTales: Mrs. Beakley's Secret Love

Otaku-sempai

Also Otaku-sempai: You are aware of the MLP Generations mini coming out after #102 right? Has the cast crossing over with G1.
Yep! It's already on my pullbox, thanx! Since both properties are already being published by IDW, I've been speculating on whether the publisher could get the clearances to do an MLP/Sonic the Hedgehog crossover.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Staff member
Yep! It's already on my pullbox, thanx! Since both properties are already being published by IDW, I've been speculating on whether the publisher could get the clearance to do an MLP/Sonic the Hedgehog crossover.

Something I'd like to see too.

Additionally hoping for:
1. A 3rd MLP/Transformers if only cause of that teaser ending.

2. Maybe have the Autobots end up in Equestria Girl continuity.

3. Yeah saw that fun Death Battle which is why I hope sometime since they have a professional relationship, Deadpool Meets Pinkie Pie:-D. The most chaotic friendship.

Otaku-sempai

I have recently been re-reading some older graphic novels and collections: DC Showcase: Jonah Hex; Jonah Hex: No Way Back; and (currently) The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman and Various.

Antiyonder

Staff member
AAQfvwAACLK5.jpg

The Spider-Man and X-Men books collect all of the stories that originally premiered in Spider-Man and X-Men Magazines back in the 90s.

Clash is the 4th book in a GN series that is a slice of life. Previous volumes which I got last year:
AAQfvwAACMWF.jpg

And while it's the title of the 1st book the series seems to go by the name Click. Really found it by luck on Amazon when getting some Pokémon manga.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I've been reading comics again on "Marvel Unlimited" (the "Netflix library" app of Marvel comics). I'm exploring various "entrance points" for getting full-fledged back into the Marvel universe. I stopped reading Marvel back in 2009/2010. The "Siege" storyline from 2010 is where I finally dropped out - it kinda made for a nice "end" to that chapter of the Marvel universe (with the return of Captain America and the defeat of Norman Osborn's "Dark Reign" in 2010). It was an era that started with "Civil War" in 2007, or maybe with "House of M" in 2005.

And yes, I did end up reading some "new" material for Marvel in the 2010's, while working for Marvel (off and on from 2010 to 2015, I did some clerical work and some writing for the Marvel Indexes and Handbooks). I read the "Fear Itself" storyline and the "Spider Island" storyline in 2011. I read a whole slew of Wolverine comics from 2010 to 2012 (the Jason Aaron main series, and other spinoffs). I read the 2014/2015 Silver Surfer series by Dan Slott.

I know there was an "Avengers vs. X-Men" storyline and I know the Marvel and Ultimate universes merged into one universe, and there was a period where Doc Ock was pretending to be Spider-Man. I missed out on Emma Frost becoming a villain again, and Thor became a woman for a while. I know there was a 2nd "Civil War" and there was a storyline where Captain America was revealed to be a Hydra agent all along. But I didn't read any of that, really.

All that said, I consider revisiting most of the 2010's a lost cause at this point, and want to "start over" with the 2020's. More than anything, I think I just wanted to move past Brian Michael Bendis writing for Marvel, and him being the writer that drives the direction of the Marvel Universe (as I heard he was heavily behind the 2nd "Civil War" storyline around 2016). His final work with Marvel ended in March 2018, so I knew after that is about where I wanted to start "picking up the pieces".

I've discovered the Avengers, Hulk and Spider-Man books restarted with new issue #1 in Spring/Summer of 2018 (and some of them still have the same numbering since 2018, and still have the same creative teams, so that's good for continuity). And that's after Bendis' departure, so that looks like a good entrance point for the Avengers/Spider-Man books. I'm aware that the whole X-Men line was restarted in 2019 under Jonathan Hickman, and so that appears to be a good starting point for the X-Men. And I've discovered the whole line of Star Wars books restarted in January of 2020, so that's a good "entrance point" for that line of book as well.

Does anyone else think these are good starting points for getting back into Marvel?

I'll have more to say later, but I wanted to start with the above....

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Electric Tale of Pikachu, Issues 2-4
Pikachu Shocks Back, Issue 1
The Ship of Ishtar
Some chapters from the Bible.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
So I've already decided to largely not bother reading any Avengers or Spider-Man before 2018, or any X-Men from before 2019, or any Star Wars from before 2020.

But I am willing to go back further for some other series.

543332._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Runaways (2017) #1 and 2: I saw this book was still releasing new issues today in 2021, so I went back to the start of this run. Released in the Fall of 2017, the solicitation for the first issue reads "The 'It' book of the early 2000's is back with the original cast!" That stirred a lot of memories, though I consider it a "mid-2000's" comic phenomenon - it premiered in the Summer of 2003, and I didn't personally discover it until 2005.

Anyway, the first two issues of this 2017 restart revolve around the return of Gert, the member of the original cast who died back in the 2006 (and this is not really spoilers as it spells that out in the solicitations and she's prominently seen on covers of several issues going forward).

Upon Gert's return, Chase and Nico make observations that Gert was the heart of the team and that things haven't been right since she "died". I find that very much true: Original writer Brian K Vaughan left the series just a few issues later (in early 2007), and the subsequent writers (Joss Whedon, Terry Moore, and Kathryn Immonen) didn't really handle the book properly and it slowly withered from 2007 to 2009, and ended in 2010 (right around the time I was getting out of comics).

Arguably, it almost feels like things haven't been right for the whole Marvel Universe since Gert died, in the Summer of 2006. Just a few months later, in early 2007, the original "Civil War" started, and it was kind of all downhill from there, with "mega crossovers" character "deaths and rebirths" hitting critical mass. Yes, those type of stories were around before "Civil War". But that may be when it started to be "too much", for me anyway.

So Chase's line of "nothing's been right since you died" to Gert, it just....feels very true. And now that she's back, I hope the Marvel universe feels right again, as I start reading it again.

On a side note, they also make a comment that "2 years" have passed since she died. So from 2006 to 2017, we are to believe it's been "2 years" in the Marvel Universe. :lol: I have a love/hate relationship with the logic of comic book timelines.

Antiyonder

Staff member
My pick ups since we last used this thread:
20210909_173314.jpg

20210909_174408.jpg

20210901_180406.jpg

20211020_135447.jpg

20211020_135513.jpg

20211016_123434.jpg

20211016_124030.jpg

Added the Darkhawk mini since it is being approached like a Tokusatsu, plus the writer for most of it, Kyle Higgins wrote previously for Boom's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Blue & Gold caught my eye and getting it as Dan Jurgens was mentioned as the writer.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Did a major comic store catch up yesterday:
20211125_131955.jpg

20211125_132604.jpg

20211125_133136.jpg

Yeah saw the first season of Harley Quinn the other day. Pretty good and I'll be finishing the show before reading the issues.

Antiyonder

Staff member
20211211_140247.jpg

Got these at the recommendation of a fellow fan of The Owl House and will be checking them out later.

Incidentally the reason I checked out The Girl From the Sea to begin with is that The Owl House writer, Molly Ostertag is the one who wrote it.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
My favorite comics as of late: Olive and Le Roi Louve (The Wolf King).

Olive (Cazot, Mazel) is about a 17 year old girl who has created her own (absolutely beautiful) fantasy world. However, one day a man named Lenny arrives in her imagination. Eventually it becomes clear that he is a real man and needs her help, but she has no idea where he is. The third album (out of 4) leads her to Siberia. The story feels very real. It makes you realize how convenient the lives of many comic characters is. "Let's travel around the world!" Haha, Olive is nothing like that! You can really feel her despair. And the colors, wow, they are amazing. It's definitely a comic you want to read many times.
9791034751266-couv-M700x1200.jpg

English translation: Olive

The Wolf King (Adrian, Alibert, Lapière) is also amazing. The story is about two civilizations: one of humans and one of anthropomorphic wolves. The humans lay eggs and the wolves change their gender every full moon. It is a tradition for wolves to eat a human egg when you turn 18. Your gender will then get fixed (male if you eat a boy egg, female if you eat a girl egg). There is a peace treaty between the two civilizations, and the humans have to donate two of their eggs every month.

The comic revolves around a wolf princess who will turn 18 in two months. She is only child and has to become a boy, because the kingdom has to be led by a king, not a queen. Even worse, she has a human boyfriend who would become king if she were to remain a woman. A human king would lead to a civil war. However, she doesn't want to be a man, and flees. The duo finds a human soulless ghost whom they use as a slave. (In this universe, human criminals get a punishment worse than death: they are dropped in a magical swamp and become soulless ghosts) The trio is on the run for the wolf army, but unknowingly also assassins who try to kill the king's only child. Meanwhile, the wolf army is planning to conquer the human kingdom against the will of the Wolf King. The first album is mostly a set-up for whatever will come next. Still, it was very captivating. The story is amazingly original (I left out many things). How can I wait an entire year for the next album?
009842255.jpg

Starting today available in French. Not sure if there will be an English translation.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts