"Marvel Animation on Disney+" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Hulkwummy

Let's see some marvel cartoons in the same caliber as marvel shows like Wolverine and the X-Men, Avengers : Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man. But let's not make the color palates dark and shadowy like shows like Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

colomb

The big question for me is whether whatever is in development will be MCU-based or not. So far the one animated project is both MCU based, and is something that couldn't really have been done as a live-action project.

the greenman

The big question for me is whether whatever is in development will be MCU-based or not. So far the one animated project is both MCU based, and is something that couldn't really have been done as a live-action project.
I assume you're referring to "What If?" and not "Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur".

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm fine with more MCU animated shows as long as they're something unique like What If...?. I can't really think of other examples for cartoons in the same continuity as with the live-action shows they might want to try out though.

But it would be cool to have some new, serious Marvel toons not set in the MCU or inspired by it either. They probably wouldn't be covered by this new mini-studio or exclusive to Disney+ but I'd watch them anyway.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm really looking forward to burning through What If...? right now and to eventually see Moon Girl but I really have no idea what to expect from a new Marvel animation studio. I think they say I Am Groot is still about 2 years away and that's just a series of shorts. I can't imagine a lot else arriving within that time unless they've had stuff being produced that they never announced.

I'm not a pessimist but right now, I just feel like they need to show something or announce something before I get even a little excited about any possibilities from this new mini studio. Since 1980, Marvel animation has gone through a rebuilding phase every decade and it never really seemed to get all the way to its full potential. As an immense fan, there's a lot of dream scenarios I would like to see take place but there's not a lot that I can really imagine ever happening except for maybe a new Fantastic Four or X-Men series before those movies come out. It would be nice to see them come up with something cool that feels like it's coming from a place of creativity and that's not just a commercial product. The ball's in their court and I hope they make the most of it while they can. At the very least, a Marvel equivalent of Galaxy of Adventures would be a fun watch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

the greenman

I'm really looking forward to burning through What If...? right now and to eventually see Moon Girl but I really have no idea what to expect from a new Marvel animation studio. I think they say I Am Groot is still about 2 years away and that's just a series of shorts. I can't imagine a lot else arriving within that time unless they've had stuff being produced that they never announced.

I'm not a pessimist but right now, I just feel like they need to show something or announce something before I get even a little excited about any possibilities from this new mini studio. Since 1980, Marvel animation has gone through a rebuilding phase every decade and it never really seemed to get all the way to its full potential. As an immense fan, there's a lot of dream scenarios I would like to see take place but there's not a lot that I can really imagine ever happening except for maybe a new Fantastic Four or X-Men series before those movies come out. It would be nice to see them come up with something cool that feels like it's coming from a place of creativity and that's not just a commercial product. The ball's in their court and I hope they make the most of it while they can. At the very least, a Marvel equivalent of Galaxy of Adventures would be a fun watch.

So how so do you mean? Cause personally I feel the late 2000's 2006-2010 (just before & around the Disney acquisition) were the best years for Marvel animation.

Hulk Vs.
Dr. Strange
Spectacular Spider-man
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

As for the future, as I stated before, I fear Marvel will concentrate on the current crop of comics.

colomb

I assume you're referring to "What If?" and not "Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur".

Wasn't the latter and the Disney Junior Spider-man cartoon greenlit under the previous regime? I think Spidey had Cort Lane's name attached and he has tweeted about it, unless he's still there under a new role.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
So how so do you mean? Cause personally I feel the late 2000's 2006-2010 (just before & around the Disney acquisition) were the best years for Marvel animation.

Hulk Vs.
Dr. Strange
Spectacular Spider-man
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

As for the future, as I stated before, I fear Marvel will concentrate on the current crop of comics.

I love that era, and that era is why I started posting on Toonzone in the first place, but I have always hated how the progress that was made to get to the point of EMH or Planet Hulk was squandered instead of being built upon.

Wasn't the latter and the Disney Junior Spider-man cartoon greenlit under the previous regime? I think Spidey had Cort Lane's name attached and he has tweeted about it, unless he's still there under a new role.

Spidey was definitely developed under Cort Lane but I believe he's been out of the company for a while now.

Just from my perspective, it seems like the role Marvel played in Moon Girl is somewhat similar to the role they played in Spectacular Spider-Man, except everything is under the same mother company.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
More comments about future Marvel animated shows. Sounds like they will still be set in the MCU.
"Yes, we have plans now because of What If…? to make more animated shows," executive producer Brad Winderbaum said to Kakuchopurei. "All these shows that require animation as a medium and that can only exist in this art form. Each exists on its own terms and hopefully explore unexpected facets of the MCU." Winderbaum gave no indication over what kind of upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe animated projects were on the horizon.

colomb

More comments about future Marvel animated shows. Sounds like they will still be set in the MCU.
I was kind of expecting this. They weren't particularly interested in animation and are only using the medium when they can't do live-action. Makes sense, since live-action is where all the profit is, but still kind of sucks. Though, I guess all the stuff that happens between movies provides a decent amount of material to be mined.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
This is exactly what I was worried about. All they see their major animated productions as is extensions of the MCU and having to fit in there :(.

I mean, you can probably do cool stuff in animation that you can't in live action but it feels incredibly limiting. I am so over Marvel cartoons having to cater to or adhere to the MCU.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I always want more animation but having it stuck to the MCU is less exciting for me, especially after years of MCU "inspired" cartoons and then feeling less and less enthused about the Post-Endgame future.

With it being in the MCU, you have to deal with actors and their schedules or willingness to work on it. The story would have to strictly adhere to the specific timeline or continuity of the movies. So many characters would be off limits whether they are dead or have yet to make their appearances in the MCU. You have to stick to the more "realistic" design style of the MCU. I don't know. I think that I generally prefer animation for comic heroes since there is more freedom to accomplish the feel that a well made comic story has. I'm sure that they would try to do more than they can with the live-action movies but I still think it feels like it's already a bit handcuffed by having to be MCU.

Frontier

Staff member
I always want more animation but having it stuck to the MCU is less exciting for me, especially after years of MCU "inspired" cartoons and then feeling less and less enthused about the Post-Endgame future.

With it being in the MCU, you have to deal with actors and their schedules or willingness to work on it. The story would have to strictly adhere to the specific timeline or continuity of the movies. So many characters would be off limits whether they are dead or have yet to make their appearances in the MCU. You have to stick to the more "realistic" design style of the MCU. I don't know. I think that I generally prefer animation for comic heroes since there is more freedom to accomplish the feel that a well made comic story has. I'm sure that they would try to do more than they can with the live-action movies but I still think it feels like it's already a bit handcuffed by having to be MCU.

And it hugely limits what you can offer.

Like, no more Spider-Man cartoons unless it's Tom Holland's Spider-Man and having to adhere to that continuity? How does that work with Sony?

No more Avengers cartoons unless it's set in the movies and using just the movie versions and their histories?

No more solo cartoons for established characters because it has to be the movie versions? No Thor cartoon unless it's Chris Hemsworth and stuck with the MCU Thor mythos?

We can never get anything like Marvel Rising unless it can fit into the MCU?

Pretty much everybody has to be played by their movie actor? No chance for voice actors or other interpretations unless they couldn't get the actor back?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This is all speculation of course, but I was thinking maybe if a particular What If...? episode proves to be very popular, they could spin that off into its own series.

Or maybe an X-Men origins mini-series, to promote their eventual debut in the MCU (so they would re-introduce the characters to the general audience, explain their possibly updated origins and not waste time in the live-action movies for background info like this).

I could be wrong but I think there could still be a chance for more Marvel animated co-productions, separate from the stuff done by this new animation studio. Similar to Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur or the shows on Hulu.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I could be wrong but I think there could still be a chance for more Marvel animated co-productions, separate from the stuff done by this new animation studio. Similar to Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur or the shows on Hulu.

I hope we see more. I thought we might have heard of more co-productions coming from Sony by this point, too. I was just reminded of this last week when I was looking at Sony's Throwback Toons YouTube page and saw that they started adding stuff from the Marvel Anime series and from Spectacular Spider-Man. It's been at least a couple years since they announced that they wanted to work on possible Spidey-centric television animation. Other than Caught in a Ham, they've been quiet about animation.

It would be interesting if Disney is interested in producing anymore in their studio after Moon Girl.

Frontier

Staff member
I hope we see more. I thought we might have heard of more co-productions coming from Sony by this point, too. I was just reminded of this last week when I was looking at Sony's Throwback Toons YouTube page and saw that they started adding stuff from the Marvel Anime series and from Spectacular Spider-Man. It's been at least a couple years since they announced that they wanted to work on possible Spidey-centric television animation. Other than Caught in a Ham, they've been quiet about animation.

It would be interesting if Disney is interested in producing anymore in their studio after Moon Girl.

It's weird to think we might not see a mainline Spider-Man cartoon again...unless it stars Tom Holland, I guess :confused:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It might eventually come down to the merchandise sales, like it always seems to for Marvel cartoons especially Spider-Man. They're already not afraid to use a different VA or design when it's canonically supposed to be MCU based. Maybe this rationale will spread to other characters when it becomes a bigger issue with actor likenesses, etc.

*Update* 08-11

I think this is new-ish. Groot will be photo realistic? I knew knew it would be CGI, but I wouldn't have ruled out something like the old Rocket and Groot shorts. It feels like this might become their house style. At least Moon Girl will keep the 2D dream alive.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts