"The Losers" DC Showcase Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this short

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
From the creative forces behind the DC Universe Movie line, DC Showcase puts the spotlight on favorite characters from throughout the annals of DC Comics in fascinating, short-form tales sure to entertain longtime and new fans alike. DC Showcase Presents...The Losers.

logo2.jpg

DC Showcase: The Losers
Included On: Batman: The Long Halloween - Part One Home Entertainment Release
Release Date: Digital HD and Blu-ray - June 22, 2021

Synopsis: The legendary rag-tag team of World War II outcasts - Captain Storm, Johnny Cloud, "Mile-a Minute" Jones, rookie Gunner and Sarge - find themselves marooned on an uncharted island in the South Pacific that is completely overrun with dinosaurs! Their would-be ally on this deadly mission, the mysterious and beautiful Fan Long of the Chinese Security Agency, tells them their job is to rescue the scientists that have been sent to study the time/space anomaly. Perhaps... but what is her mission?

Comments?

Please post all discussions and comments about the The Losers animated short in this thread! Please discuss the other aspects of the home video release of Batman: The Long Halloween - Part One in the proper talkback, as linked below.

Related Threads:

-Batman: The Long Halloween - Part One Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth! Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Batman: Death in the Family Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Adam Strange Animated ShortTalkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Phantom Stranger Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Death Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Sgt. Rock Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Catwoman Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Green Arrow Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Jonah Hex Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: The Spectre Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: The New Frontier Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Brave and The Bold "Terror on Dinosaur Island!" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Brave and The Bold "Revenge of the Reach!" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Brave and The Bold "The Power of Shazam!" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Brave and The Bold "Four Star Spectacular!" Talkback (Spoilers)
-
Justice League Action "Booster's Gold" Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, this talkback thread is for discussion of the animated short only. If you wish to talk about the home video release, please click on the appropriate link (s) above. We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I couldn't get into it at all. And it had dinosaurs, so I'm not sure why it didn't hold my attention.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It was definitely a short where the viewer had to figure stuff out on their own or look it up online. I felt like they didn't explain enough about the Losers to the uninitiated (i.e. an infamous World War II era unit comprised of soldiers from all military branches who take some level of pride in their collective bad luck and casualties they've suffered in their careers.)

What I presumed was the Chinese didn't want to risk anymore of their personnel or resources because they had their own problems and dispatched only Fan Long in the role of the cleaner and mislead the U.S. on a joint op about rescuing scientists behind enemy lines. It was just The Losers who had the luck of the draw of being the pawns. Of course, if you knew a little more about World War II, you'd know China was part of the Allies. If you know a bit more, there was a lot of the beginnings of the Cold War with the U.S. more backing the nationalist government, the Soviets backing the communists, the pretext of supporting both parties publicly, etc. It was an interesting reveal that the Chinese wanted to harness the time rip to win the nuclear arms race. I guess they just assumed they would get the time rip and not have to explain why the U.S. soldiers were KIA in the mission because the main focus was on Germany and Japan in the two theaters.

I think the short may cater more to the hardcore comics fans, specifically those that read the WW II stuff. But it's not too difficult to glean the story, like the comics it is influenced by, highlights the dirtier aspects of war, the secrets and lies and the decent people who get entangled in it. Script was okay, something was missing. Still felt bad for the dinosaurs. They were just being wild animals. Animation was just okay. The one Asian character secretly being the bad guy isn't a good look in today's current events.

The short is produced by Rick Morales, directed by Milo Neuman, character designs by Steven Choi, Dan Panosian, and Zak Plucinski, written by Tim Sheridan, and animation by NE4U, Inc. The cast is comprised of Ming-Na Wen as Fan Long, Eugene Byrd as Jones, Dave B. Mitchell as Gunner and Sarge, Martin Sensmeier as Cloud, and Dean Winters as Storm.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Is this short set during WWII?
Clearly... there shouldn't be a question if it is or isn't. The Losers are WWII era characters, the synopsis lists WWII, the clothing, guns, ship of the characters are WWII inspired even Fan Long's is based on the WWII era Nationalist Army clothing, Captain Storm refers to "The War" when he tricks Fan into admitting they're after secret research, Cloud references the Allies when he's separated with Fan, the Losers not recognizing CPR yet as the method not really adopted until the 50s, at the research center Fan mentions the U.S. is developing the atomic bomb setting this before the Manhattan Project completed there bombs in July 1945.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DC Showcase: The Losers

The title of the short was appropriate because that was just no good.

No fun, unlikable characters, and a non-ending. I don't usually LOVE these shorts, but I can't remember disliking one this much since The Spectre, which was the very first. I could be wrong. There could be bigger Losers as far as DC Showcase shorts go. But I don't remember them.

It's a nice moment when Johnny pats the dinosaur, so the lady kills him because the short and this franchise don't believe viewers actually deserve nice moments. Spoiler alert: Yes, we do. This is an actual story failing, and I will treat it as such.

I did like one thing. I think Dean Winters did a great job as Storm, and I'm wondering why he isn't cast more in animated stuff. His voice is distinct enough that I quickly realized who it was, which means it's memorable, and sounds good, and cartoon characters need more memorable, good-sounding voices. You can't do what Justice League did and cast Tom Sizemore as Metamorpho and have him sound like he's reading the phone book backwards in a mirror. Get someone whose voice actually sounds good, and can do the work. It's not rocket surgery.

It takes a special kind of suck to take all of the fun out of army guys fighting dinosaurs and time warps, but that's DC Comics for you. But I don't have to act like that's acceptable. *.

khuddle

Not especially bad, but not especially good either. Pales in comparison to DC's last animated short,
"Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth!"

BTW, didn't these "Loser" characters make a appearance in the Justice League: Animated Series
episode "The Savage Time"? (ie. the one where Vandal Savage takes control of Nazi Germany and attempts an invasion of the United States).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Not especially bad, but not especially good either. Pales in comparison to DC's last animated short,

BTW, didn't these "Loser" characters make a appearance in the Justice League: Animated Series
episode "The Savage Time"? (ie. the one where Vandal Savage takes control of Nazi Germany and attempts an invasion of the United States).
The was Easy Company. Different guys.

Otaku-sempai

The Losers did show up in Justice League: The New Frontier.

Frontier

Staff member
It was nice to get another DC Showcase short about DC soldiers and their attempt to brave the most unspeakable and unexpected of odds :).

It always comes back to the Losers and Dinosaur Island, doesn't it :rolleyes2:?

Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation never looked more satisfying ;).

Nothing kills the romance quite like a woman blowing up your new dinosaur pal. Sorry Cloud :eek:.

Poor Gunner and pooch. Just...poor Gunner and Pooch :(.

Ming-Na, as always, steals the show. Not that Fan Long was a great gal, but her sheer professionalism, directness, and serious commitment to her mission was a great contrast with the humanity and bond of brothers between the Losers. But in the end she ended up being the biggest loser of all, no matter her final fate :ack:.

They just couldn't resist the "Made in China" joke. Although the "Sounds about right" moment from Storm killed me :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts