General International TV Channels Thread

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
Welcome back to another Sony-centric post made by themidnightlore.
This round, it's a post for talk about the (very slow rolling) rebrand of their TV channels going on since August 2019.

USA - Sony Movies and Sony Cine got it in Febraury 2021. I joke with myself all this delay was for Sony Cine, change my mind.
Latin America - Sony Channel got it (it was the first one to recive it in August 2019), AXN not.
UK - The channels (minus POP and the late Sony Crime Channel) got into a global rebrand in September 2019. Also, they will be gone the 25th of May since Narrative got them for launch Great!
Germany - (Sony) AXN and Sony Channel got it in October 2019, the elusive Animax VOD still has the classic logo.
India - AFAIK, only Sony LIV got the rebrand and the entire family of linear channels have the usual logos.
---
CEE - Nothing rebranded
Hungary - Nothing rebranded
Poland - Nothing rebranded
Russia - Nothing rebranded
Spain, Portugal - Nothing rebranded, but I remember catching some months ago a new presentation set for the channels a bit more in line with the style used for Sony AXN's idents.
Turkey - Nothing rebranded (Turkey still has the Sony channels? Unsure, to be honest)
Japan - Nothing rebranded, unsure if they will ever do that here if the channels manage to not close.

Yeah... Not a good look.
Also not counting the Asian AXN and Animax as they're not Sony anymore.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I expected this.

No matter how successful the channel is.

Now, it should be the same date as the Fox Crime Italy's closure
Disney does seem to have an odd pattern where they close channels on the same day. The end of FOX is another loss to pay-TV and with these streaming deals Sky has, they're funding their own demise.

Meanwhile, Virgin is too stupid not to put Disney+ on their boxes to mitigate the loss, instead they wasted their time putting the Hopster app on their boxes when Disney Channel UK closed, they will have to launch Disney+ when Fox goes. I'll be interested to see what happens with this Telefonica partnership, as least they've got a mobile and broadband network, Sky doesn't own any satellites or phone lines, they're pretty much just a service with some content they produce.

Last edited:

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
FOX will be closing in the UK and Ireland on 30th June, content will be moved to Star on Disney+:

The final remaining FOX channels are in Asia (+ South Asia) and Turkey…….which FOX TR operates on a FTA license in that country.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
I'd keep the main channel and maybe Nat Geo Wild like Asia.

With this Disney is set to close all linear channels in the UK/Irish markets
I would keep both of them. I will post a rethinking of the portfolio to Palk Áron 2002's Arts in a few minutes.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
TV2 Hungary technical difficulty from 18 June 2011.

TV2 couldn't remove the "live" logo by the time the Ezo TV titles stopped, so we see a blackness with a Telemedia InteracTV broadcast server testcard inbetween. The logo was finally removed after almost 2 minutes.

RegularCapital

Staff member
According to what appears to be an insider, Nat Geo's death in the UK (and likely in Italy too) has been announced internally at Disney
I'm more surprised that Nat Geo hasn't closed before Fox, but it's probably because of that last remaining sponsorship campaign contract I guess.

I'd keep the main channel and maybe Nat Geo Wild like Asia.

With this Disney is set to close all linear channels in the UK/Irish markets

Except for BabyTV and the Utsav channels, all the major brands have gone or will be gone.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
A change to BVN, starting July 1, due to a strategy announced in April, VRT programming will no longer be seen and will be limited to the internet. This doesn't mean the channel will shut down, it will continue operating but limited to NPO programming.
Back to square one? IIRC the channel initially meant Beste van Nederland and didn't carry any Flemish programming.
Voyage was just the beginning. It was the warning sign of Disney wanting to close all the old Fox-owned channels.
Actually the uncertain fate of Disney XD in 2018/2019 and the shutdown of its Australian feed was just the beginning, and that was before what happened a few months later.

animegamer

I don’t know what they will do to Fox Life India which is a lifestyle channel. Surprised it’s still around

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.

Featured Posts