Unpopular Opinions

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Here's one. I don't understand WHY Doom Patrol has gotten the good press it has. Yes, it's better than the abomination of Titans, but to paraphrase Jon Stewart Re: Phantom Menace, so is Snow Dogs. That's not a brag. I don't think it's an outright terrible show, but the quality is bad just as often as it is decent. It's extremely shaky week-to-week. I don't understand why it is beloved at all. I find the characters detestable and annoying too.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Here's an unpopular opinion about that. I tend to like Mary Sues, or at least the characters most people label that. With the exception of Wesley Crusher I like heroes who are capable and know what they are doing.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I wish there was a term that meant the same thing as those terms, but without the sexist connotations. Maybe somebody should tell TV Tropes to get on with making one.
Ubermensche, although translated typically denotes "man", but I do see superhuman in the wiki. People also typically use it to mean someone so macho, but I think that applies as far as a character being so devoid of human frailty / humanity that the author is so dis-interested in writing an interesting character.

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
I think the term “Mary Sue” was probably useful in the early 70’s; the story it came from did a good job pointing out cliches in Star Trek fanfics, but I don’t think it’s as useful today, nor do I think it should have been applied to any official character.

Also, I don’t think the tropes in that original “Mary Sue” story were intrinsically bad, just overused by 70’s Trek fanfic writers. The tropes might’ve been a bit melodramatic, & melodrama can easily become annoying in the hands of a beginner, but that doesn’t make them bad; that just means the people writing fanfics needed more practice. And why should anyone expect beginning writers to not need more practice?

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
- Champions of Norrath, Dark Alliance, X-Men Legends, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance are the absolute best RPGs I’ve played.

- HD DVD should’ve beaten Blu-Ray.

- I’m quite mixed on the Ubisoft King Kong game. King Kong segments are alright, but the main FPS parts where super underwhelming.

- I’m quite mixed on the Scott Pilgrim game too. Actually, I’m mixed on Scott Pilgrim in general.

- It is an absolute shame that Culver’s is only in the half of the United States. The whole world should get to experience it.

Last edited:

kanc

Personally I think airing Friends on nick at nite at 9pm after Nick program is uncalled for, since that show isn't actually family Friendly show.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Eric Andre Show is awful and Eric Andre is a despicable person. Andre essentially walks around naked on the street or subway, and sexually harasses, or even assaults people to film their appalled reactions. I personally don't see anything funny about a guy shoving his junk into strange woman's face and asking me to laugh at it.

Do you know what kills me? Hannibal Buress is SUPER funny. He deserves a show worthy of his talents instead of playing second fiddle to a literal sociopath.

khuddle

Not an unpopular opinion, but I wanted to ask you guys something: you know the live action movies series done on Narnia a few years back? I know they did "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe", "Prince Caspian" and
"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader". They do any films after that? Did they in fact finish the series? I don't think they did. And it seems weird that they would drop the series three books in like that (maybe Warren Ellis was the head writer Ha Ha!)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Not an unpopular opinion, but I wanted to ask you guys something: you know the live action movies series done on Narnia a few years back? I know they did "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe", "Prince Caspian" and
"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader". They do any films after that? Did they in fact finish the series? I don't think they did. And it seems weird that they would drop the series three books in like that (maybe Warren Ellis was the head writer Ha Ha!)
Dawn Treader was the last one. I think rights issues were a problem as was the cast aging too far out of their roles.

khuddle

The Eric Andre Show is awful and Eric Andre is a despicable person. Andre essentially walks around naked on the street or subway, and sexually harasses, or even assaults people to film their appalled reactions. I personally don't see anything funny about a guy shoving his junk into strange woman's face and asking me to laugh at it.

Your obsessive hatred of Eric Andre amuses me. :D

Last edited:

Mandouga

Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman don’t know what they’re talking about. The live-action Transformers movies should have all been rated at least PG. They were trying too hard to be Star Wars/Star Trek. They were trying too hard to please the “adults” in the family who saw “G1” when it first came out (or more broadly, they were trying too hard to be dark/edgy/“mature”). They should have stuck to just being The Transformers—a movie based on Hasbro’s classic toyline—instead of trying to be some other “Hollywood” movie.

Just because a movie has a bunch of sequels (or even just popular) doesn’t mean the movie is any good (or any of the sequels, either).

“Toyline” doesn’t automatically mean “glorified TV commercial”, or “toyetic”. That’s just biased viewers who think that anything that doesn’t match their view of things isn’t worth watching for anyone.

“Realism” is overrated. If anything, a movie that tries too hard, or otherwise focuses more on (it’s own definition of) realism ends up making a movie completely unrealistic in the end. Even then, “realism” doesn’t always mean “better movie” anyway. In any case, the reality is that anything is possible.

Nobody deserved being lectured about doing what you’re told/obeying the rules on [insert name of show from Disney Channel (and Nickelodeon in some cases) here]. We understand consequences even if you (I.e., “you grown-ups”) don’t think we do. The next [insert national tragic event—especially one involving the “target audience”—here] isn’t going to happen because you weren’t drilling it through our heads. We know our parents and teachers are in charge, but that doesn’t mean they’re “always right”, which was actually disproven decades ago. We understand our “roles” but at the same time, we need to work together in order to make it work. It can’t always be your way or the highway. We’re going to do what we know is the right thing, even if you don’t think we understand what it means. We understand the difference between fantasy and reality, even if you don’t think we do.

Baiting viewers into a subject isn’t going to get them to learn/understand it any faster. In fact, you’ll just lose respect that way, not to mention that you would just be making it harder for them (than it already is).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

Maybe not an unpopular opinion around here, but it general, I miss fan sites and message boards. The other day I was rereading an old Kids Next Door message board and I was nostalgic over all the fan theories and speculation. It was an easy, one stop shopping, or reading rather. There is something about general social media sites like Twitter or Facebook that doesn’t cut it for me. 15 years down the road, I have I hard time seeing myself scouring all of Twitter for Steven Universe tweets (for example).

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Maybe not an unpopular opinion around here, but it general, I miss fan sites and message boards. The other day I was rereading an old Kids Next Door message board and I was nostalgic over all the fan theories and speculation. It was an easy, one stop shopping, or reading rather. There is something about general social media sites like Twitter or Facebook that doesn’t cut it for me. 15 years down the road, I have I hard time seeing myself scouring all of Twitter for Steven Universe tweets (for example).
Reddit replaced many forums. Basically every reddit.com/r/... is its own forum with its own moderators. Twitter and Facebook have almost nothing in common with forums.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If you don't have any plants in your apartment, and a person gives you a plant, that person is not your friend. They are simply giving you an extra chore and responsibility you didn't ask for because they think your residence looks boring. Plants aren't as inconvenient a gift as a pet. But the thoughtlessness behind the gift is exactly the same.

Mind your own damn plants. I don't want any.

Edit:

Just for the record, I do not include Chia Pets in this otherwise ironclad rule. Because once gifted a Chia Pet, the new Chia owner can simply stuff the box in the closet if they don't like it and forget about it forever. Nobody forces anyone to spread them seeds. Lame people actually have an option there.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I'm tired of the terms "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu".
There's a lot of cartoons out there that I actually like where people have stupidly labeled the more competent and actually likable/well developed characters of said shows unfairly as such for dumb enough reasons (that make me wish I could tell these people off, as well!) - case in point, Blythe Baxter, the human main character from Littlest Pet Shop (2012).

Beyond this much, to say I utterly dispise this mislabeling of actually flawed and vulnerable characters who just happen to be competent/good at more than one thing in their respective show is an understatement, indeed.
Again, something for example I know Blythe Baxter (LPS 2012) , as I've watched that whole show and know this from personal exposure & experience with said example of a character I actually like, BTW, getting such unfair hatred for such crappy trope labeling!

Still however, I stand by this much indefinitely - overly misused & abused terms that Mary Sue and Gary Stu are, I have to say it.
Invincible and flawless characters, no matter their gender and background, are lame, unnecessary, and nothing good for any medium they can be found in, whenever located - something I must honestly accept as FACT.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts