Powerpuff Girls Live Action CW Series In Development

glennbyrnes

Okay I don't mind Utonium being black as much as them naming him Drake (I get they want to make this more serious thus are probably going to give characters who didn't have names have names so expect the Mayor if he's in this to have a name. Still though, Drake? That just feels so off man) and that description for him. First off, wasn't the Professor already more in his later 30s/40's in the show? I don't think they ever gave his age (though in "Get Back Jojo" he was a kid along with Miss Bellum and Miss Keen in 1959 which was like 40 something years in the past so yeah he's already in his 40s) but he was not really young when he made the girls so if they're over 15 years older he should be more in his 50s to early 60s. Not to mention "mid life crisis who needs to repair his relationship with his daughters" feels so wrong for Utonium who yeah did have some slip ups in the original show (let's ignore how he was treated in the 2016 series) but was a general loving doture and mature respectful father who affection I doubt would run out just because of the girls getting older. Again even on an emotional level it feels like every step of this reboot just feels so wrong from what the show started out as. To kind of an insulting degree honestly.
Well, they never did give him a first name.

Plus they renamed the show simply Powerpuff.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I am a fan of Chloe Bennet's take on Quake on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. so I'll watch the first episode of this at least.

Well, I guess they're not "girls" anymore, but even that feels off :sweat:.
Considering the Archie show is called Riverdale, maybe this one will be Townsville. :p

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
Hmm, while I personally don't think Scrubs holds up at all, I do still have a soft spot for Faison, and while he seems a slightly odd fit for the character, I don't think they'd cast him if they were going with the "professor was abusive" vibe I thought they were hinting at in the earlier press statements. While I doubt very much this will be my bag, I don't mind it if it's not a horribly cynical take.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well, they never did give him a first name.

I know but my point is how unfitting a name Drake is for the Professor.

Plus they renamed the show simply Powerpuff.

Which again goes with what I said when this show came out; CW obviously wants their own take on Titans and thus is taking a property for much younger fans and growing it up by removing that childish element including the name. Though yeah you really can't make Powerpuff on it's own really serious but you know it's part of the branding so you have to have it... thus proving much more how bad an idea this is.

What will they do with the mayor though? A childish small man with a mustache? Maybe there will be a new mayor in town.

They are going to revamp mayor mayor into a less buffonish kind of lunk head. Likely someone who wound up corrupted and has to over the course of the show grow to be better again or maybe the son of Mayor Mayor who wants to be more independent and not rely on super heroes to save the town from various threats.

You know that reminds me though how much the original PPG world does not fit a live action setting and transfering that over is going to require a ridiculous load of money to get all the reconogizable characters. Mostly the villains as yeah the mayor, Miss Keane and professor you can revamp (and hopefully Miss Bellum as well. Do not repeat the mistake of just trying to get rid of her first chance you get PPG 2016 took Pwerpuff) but a lot of the baddies are going to require a lot more effort. Princess would be easy enough but The Gang Green Gang, Him, Mojo Jojo, Fuzzy Lumpkins etc are going to require a huge amount of make up or effects which I guess is standard in super hero shows but usually there's some sort of grounded threat first before taken on the ludicrious which yeah I don't think you can really do with the powerpuffs.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Actually Nicholas Podamy isn't playing Mojo Jojo, but rather Joseph "Jojo" Mondel Jr, the son of Mojo Jojo. Specifically the HUMAN son of Mojo Jojo.

.... Pardon me a moment. *goes off to scream several times before coming back*

Okay wow this series somehow keeps sinking lower and lower. Remember how I said "Powerpuff Girls is a stupid series to do live action considering how much of their rogues gallery are creatures and beings that would require a lot of CGI or affects done all the time to look passable which I don't know if you want to do for this kind of show" but I didn't think they would have the gall to do this or at the very least, announce it BEFORE filming started. Yeah seems like they're going to just try using variations of the classic villains that are probably a lot easier to implement that will likely be much more their own characters with you know some association with the classic villains. A female him that just carries around a lobster with lots of make up; an extended family of Gang Green Gang with slightly greened skin; a gender swapped fuzzy lumpkins who may be a beast when in anger mode but most of the time looks normal with some antennae; A Sedusa with hair covered up in a bun most of the time only taken out for some effect shots in battles etc etc. And of course this human Jojo because you know all of us Powerpuff Girls fans were like "hey you know what I really want to see? The complexities of Mojo Jojo's son struggling with his dual nature. That really captures the heart of the original show alright." *Groans* This trainwreck just seems like it's getting worse and worse but you know the more crap it piles on the more I am at least kind of curious how big a wreck it will be so... congrats on that Powerpuff.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts